GPU Upgrade Advice

starsnipes

Budget (including currency): Any

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Triple A Titles, Escape From Tarkov, League

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): Currently Running an i7-4790k, 16GB of 2400 Mhz corsair vengeance ram, a corsair RM850x (i know it is overkill, bought it with the intent i wouldnt need to upgrade it), a 1tb 2.5" WD blue drive for boot and storage, it has an ASUS z97-A/USB 3.1 mobo,

ive got a triple rad thermaltake water3.0 water pump and an EVGA gtx 980.

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

BASICALLY the computer isnt lightning fast but it works for me and ive had no real issues with it, im just interested in getting a 30 series gpu or new radeon 6000 series gpu to get better performance in games.

was just wondering if i should wait until i have enough money to upgrade my entire system or if upgrading to one of those gpus wouldnt be severely bottlenecked in my system.

ANY help or advice is greatly appreciated and thank you for your time!

It will be too much bottle neck if you will go to series 30 od radeon 6000. I'm reccomending you to buy better cup and then go to 30/6000 or just buy more budget gpu.

if you're going for very high fps on 1080p, you'll have to upgrade cpu as well

if you're going for 1440p or 4k, you cpu should hold on decently with a 3070 or 6800

24 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

if you're going for very high fps on 1080p, you'll have to upgrade cpu as well

if you're going for 1440p or 4k, you cpu should hold on decently with a 3070 or 6800

thank you thats a reasonable answer, im looking to be able to play 1080 or 1440 at 120+ fps, i wouldnt consider that very high. but i was more interested in a 3080 or 6900 for future proofing as i think i will be upgrading the rest of the system within a year

so the gpu won't run to it's full potential due to you cpu, but that doesn't mean you won't get more fps than you do now and in the end, you'll have a better gpu for when you upgrade the cpu as well.

also, just bear in mind that 3080 and 6900 are really meant for 4k gaming, using them at 1080p and even 1440p is a waste