Two laptops, one Monitor

Leglessmatt

Hi,

Soooo, I have two laptops and a monitor;

- 2019 macbook pro with USB-C/thundbolt ports
- HP 'Elite' x2 (work, not by choice) with one USB3 and one USB-C (also for charging)

- Dell 32inch Monitor 4k with x2 HDMI, x1 DP

- usb mouse and keyboard

Im trrrrying to get it so I only have to switch one cable for connecting laptop power/mouse/keyboard/monitor between the two laptops.

My current setup is a USB-C dock from Anker with USB PD, connected to the monitor via HDMI.

The issue I'm having is that the monitor only connects at 30hz, not 60 aand it's very noticable.

I've tried the Anker USB-C that claims to be 4k 60hz compatible, but I can only get it run at 50 (no big issue)...but when I use a USB-C extension cable for switching between the laptops it drops to 30hz (I'm guessing signal is degrading over the 30cm extension).

If I plug the USB-C dock into the macbook (for keyboard/mouse), then use a separate thunderbolt>HMDI for the monitor, the monitor is detected twice (once from the dock and once from the addional cable).

Wondered  if anyone has a better solution.... I should have probably gone with a USB-C monitor but that may have it's own drawbacks, 4k KVMs are expensive!

Cheers!

Matt

hi - ah good shout - seen that one, looks good but unable to install any software on the work laptop :(