Attempting to Fix a Damaged Windows Install from a Different Windows Instance

Billy5691

Hi, I want to know if there is anyway I can save my original windows install without having to reinstall windows, after something happened and the drive is no longer recognised as a bootable drive. 

Specs:

Mobo: ASUS TUF Gaming x570 plus

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700x

GPU: ASUS Dual GTX 1060 6gb (Now Dead)

Test GPU: GTX 750ti

RAM: Corsair DDR4 3600 C18 2x8GB (CMW16GX4M2D3600C18)

Storage:

Boot drive - Sabrent Rocket NVME SSD 1tb

Temp boot drive - Samsung 840 EVO 256gb SATA SSD

Other - Sabrent Rocket 4.0 NVME SSD 1tb

- WD Blue 4TB 5400RPM HDD

PSU: Corsair RM850

What Happened:
I was preparing to remove my CPU to sell it, and during the process my windows boot stopped registering to the BIOS.

Step by Step:

1) I uninstalled ASUS AISuite 3, because I had used to it to auto OC my Ryzen 7 3700x

2) Rebooted my PC, a necessary step in uninstalling ASUS AISuite 3

3) Upon my computer restarting, I entered the BIOS instead of letting it reach Windows.

4) I reset the BIOS to its optimized defaults and rebboted again. (I think this is what broke everything, I should've completed the uninstall of AISuite first)

5) Upon restarting, the BIOS and VGA LEDs lit up on my motherboard. (At no point before this had I phyiscally touched any of the components of the PC)

6) Troubleshooting including clearing CMOS, reseating RAM, and swapping GPUS, using a generic windows repair USB. I discovered my GPU was dead, and my windows install was no longer recognised. 

The repair USB couldn't even detect the damaged windows install, like my mobo.

I was then able to install windows on a different SSD, which I used to check my orignal boot drive. I only had a brief check, but my personal files on the drive seemed intact. 

So I want to know if there is anyway I can save my original windows install, seeing as I can access its files from my 2nd install. I understand there is the option to just reformat the drive and start over, but I'd like to avoid that if possible due to the complications it would cause with messed up program shortcuts etc when I recover the data.

Failing saving the install, is there a way to recover the windows key? This disaster has already cost me a £120 GPU, I'd rather not waste money on a windows key too.

My PC is currently not in a usable state, as I removed the CPU and sold it after I was sure no other components were dead. But I'm in the queue for my new one, so I'm hoping it will arrive by the end of November and I will be able to test any suggestions then.

Also, any suggestions on why my GPU died and if it is at all recoverable would be nice but not the main point of this discussion. I believe AISuite could change the settings on the GPU, but I had never used that functionality. However, I may have changed them using ASUS Tweak, I don't remember as I had the GPU for quite a while. 

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

19 minutes ago, Billy5691 said:

My PC is currently not in a usable state

Then no, it isn't.

When you get a new CPU, come back and ask again, there is no point trying to fix the Windows install when the system won't boot.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

14 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Then no, it isn't.

When you get a new CPU, come back and ask again, there is no point trying to fix the Windows install when the system won't boot.

I'm asking now so I have ideas to try the moment my CPU arrives, which won't be long if AMD is being truthful about their stock situation.

Sorry, but uninstalling AiSuite can't make your drive unbootable. Try to switch to uefi or legacy and boot. It's for sure something related to your bios settings.

2 hours ago, homeap5 said:

Sorry, but uninstalling AiSuite can't make your drive unbootable. Try to switch to uefi or legacy and boot. It's for sure something related to your bios settings.

I will try changing some of the BIOS settings as you suggest, but I never changed any such settings when I first set up the PC (I just plugged in a previous SSD with windows preinstalled) so I don't see why restoring the mobo to default would effect settings I never changed. Then again, I'm far from an expert when it comes to BIOSes and Windows so I'll have a look.