MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon Compatible w/ 128GB RAM?

Go to solution Solved by GhostRoadieBL,

the CPU doesn't limit the ram capacity just the memory controller speed.

*(long answer is modern 64bit CPUs, based on addressing, can have a theoretical limit of over 240ish TB of ram, since modules currently only go up to 32GB sticks with some ECC going higher the motherboard vendor can only test their boards up to 4x32GB to get the "maximum" 128GB of RAM)

2x32GB will be no trouble with the board, even 4x32GB should have no issues at the default clocks, it's when you start pushing the memory speed with all dimms populated that stability starts to become effected by manufacturing processes, power delivery, CPU quality, silicon lottery etc. 

Hey all, just wanting to throw this out there before I decide to tangle up the funds in attempting this.

I'm uncertain as to whether or not the X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (http://www.msi.com/Motherboard/X370-GAMING-PRO-CARBON/Specification) is actually compatible with 128GB RAM.  Or 2x32GB for that matter.

My buddy gave me his old board, and I'm contemplating maxing out the RAM.  The MSI website says it supports 128GB, but PCPartpicker says 64GB.

Also, I'n not even sure what CPU's will support 128GB other than either the Pro versions or Ryzen 9 chips.

Thanks!

the CPU doesn't limit the ram capacity just the memory controller speed.

*(long answer is modern 64bit CPUs, based on addressing, can have a theoretical limit of over 240ish TB of ram, since modules currently only go up to 32GB sticks with some ECC going higher the motherboard vendor can only test their boards up to 4x32GB to get the "maximum" 128GB of RAM)

2x32GB will be no trouble with the board, even 4x32GB should have no issues at the default clocks, it's when you start pushing the memory speed with all dimms populated that stability starts to become effected by manufacturing processes, power delivery, CPU quality, silicon lottery etc. 

The best gaming PC is the PC you like to game on, how you like to game on it

13 hours ago, GhostRoadieBL said:

Awesome, thank you for the clarification!