Overclock Tips

Hi ! So i would like to overclock my I9-9900k but i never overclocked before so i was wondering if anyone would give me tips or give me some link of trustable people teaching how to overclock. I just wanna make sure i do not fuck something up.

I do not want to do a crazy overclock and go from 4.7 to 5.2ghz. I would like to try 4.9ghz and if its stable maybe ill try 5.0ghz

Thanks to anyone trying to help, as i said i am new to this so i might not understanf everything so sorry if i ask a lot of questions ! 

It is important when to never overclock more than one thing at a time. Keep your gpu and ram stock until you are 100% sure the CPU is stable.

To OC the main thing to worry about is safety of the pc. Everyone has their opinions on what the max temp and voltage should be. I like to stay on the safe side so for a 9900k don't go past 1.3-1.35 volts at 75c. 

One way to do this OC:

• Set CPU clock speeds to 5.0Ghz at 1.3 volts.
  • Apply and boot, play a game/run a stress test of your choice and closely monitor temperatures. Don't go past 75c under a typical gaming load or else you will easily it 80-90 when rendering a video or doing a CPU stress test. 
  • If after testing its stable. Lower voltage by .05 until its unstable then you know where your ideal OC is. 
  • If PC crashes at 5.0Ghz keep same voltage and try 4.9Ghz then repeat step 3.

This video covers most of the basics. 

12 minutes ago, LeapFrogMasterRace said:

It is important when to never overclock more than one thing at a time. Keep your gpu and ram stock until you are 100% sure the CPU is stable.

To OC the main thing to worry about is safety of the pc. Everyone has their opinions on what the max temp and voltage should be. I like to stay on the safe side so for a 9900k don't go past 1.3-1.35 volts at 75c. 

One way to do this OC:

• Set CPU clock speeds to 5.0Ghz at 1.3 volts.
  • Apply and boot, play a game/run a stress test of your choice and closely monitor temperatures. Don't go past 75c under a typical gaming load or else you will easily it 80-90 when rendering a video or doing a CPU stress test. 
  • If after testing its stable. Lower voltage by .05 until its unstable then you know where your ideal OC is. 
  • If PC crashes at 5.0Ghz keep same voltage and try 4.9Ghz then repeat step 3.

This video covers most of the basics. 

Thanks, i will try this as soon as i can and i will keep you updated ! Is there any thing else i have to tweak or Voltage/Ghz are the only 2 things to worry about ?

21 minutes ago, Alex Moisan said:

Thanks, i will try this as soon as i can and i will keep you updated ! Is there any thing else i have to tweak or Voltage/Ghz are the only 2 things to worry about ?

That will cover the basic overclock, the other things are more advanced and the video should cover them a bit. 

On 11/5/2020 at 10:16 PM, LeapFrogMasterRace said:

That will cover the basic overclock, the other things are more advanced and the video should cover them a bit. 

Hey ! So i wanted to Overclock today, but apparently Gigabyte BIOS is really not as easy as Asus (Or maybe it's just me). So i was wondering, do i have to chance the Basic core clock multiplier (36 for 3.6ghz) or the turbo one (5/5/4,9 etc etc depending on the #of core working) ? Because taking my basic multiplier will make my CPU run at 4.9ghz all the time ?

Like i said, im reallly new and i do not want to damage my set up... at least not until i change it hahaha

15 hours ago, Alex Moisan said:

Hey ! So i wanted to Overclock today, but apparently Gigabyte BIOS is really not as easy as Asus (Or maybe it's just me). So i was wondering, do i have to chance the Basic core clock multiplier (36 for 3.6ghz) or the turbo one (5/5/4,9 etc etc depending on the #of core working) ? Because taking my basic multiplier will make my CPU run at 4.9ghz all the time ?

Like i said, im reallly new and i do not want to damage my set up... at least not until i change it hahaha

If you change the base core clock multiplier it will run at that speed always no matter what. Overclocking the turbo will still allow your CPU to run slower when not under load just like a stock CPU, so in your case go with the turbo. The clock speeds wont actually hurt the CPU its the voltage that will. Higher clocks = more voltage needed to be stable thus changing the turbo clock is ideal. 

Also there should also be a base clock option running at 100x leave this stock for now its more of a advanced overclocking technique. It is not the same as base CPU clock. 

9 hours ago, LeapFrogMasterRace said:

If you change the base core clock multiplier it will run at that speed always no matter what. Overclocking the turbo will still allow your CPU to run slower when not under load just like a stock CPU, so in your case go with the turbo. The clock speeds wont actually hurt the CPU its the voltage that will. Higher clocks = more voltage needed to be stable thus changing the turbo clock is ideal. 

Also there should also be a base clock option running at 100x leave this stock for now its more of a advanced overclocking technique. It is not the same as base CPU clock. 

Yeah i knew about the base clock at 100.0 MHZ haha i wont touch it !

So now i am at 4.9ghz but i am using CPUID to stress my CPU. Do you recommend another stress test ? In Linus's video they recommend using different stress test so that your sure your CPU has been stressed differently by more than 1 stress test, but i do not know any other test and i don't know if there is one better than the others !

Oh and lastly, thanks a lot for your help and also thanks for not judging my english grammar ^^' It's not my main language so i aint perfect at it :P

EDIT : I crashed with the voltage at 1.3 ... but i decided to try and let the CPU voltage on "Auto" and my voltage stay around 1.325 while at 100% ... i might have lost the silicon lottery ^^'

Also, ive stressed it for 15min (letting my loop heat up) and i go up to 83c when at 100% for this time ... to be honest i never do any workload, its purely for gaming purpose, but i think it might be too hot right ?

So to make it short, is 83c too hot for a stress test and should i keep my voltage on Auto since its stable like that and not at 1.3

AGAIN ! Thanks a lot, i know it might be annoying to teach someone noob at something :P

@LeapFrogMasterRace

Arfff Im sorry i have another question hahahah

I realized that my CPU stays at 4.9 even when Idle (it's also the case when i go back to 4.7)

I cannot say if it was the case before i Oced (cant remember) but is it normal ? I guess it wont hurt my CPU as long as my temps are fine but still im wondering

14 hours ago, Alex Moisan said:

So now i am at 4.9ghz but i am using CPUID to stress my CPU. Do you recommend another stress test ? In Linus's video they recommend using different stress test so that your sure your CPU has been stressed differently by more than 1 stress test, but i do not know any other test and i don't know if there is one better than the others !

I like to use AIDA64 they have a free trial which will last long enough to overclock.  Also you English seems good to me.  83C is okay for doing stress test because it should not get that hot when gaming so its fine. Auto voltage is kind of risky because sometimes it uses more volts then needed. I would go for a 4.9 at lower voltage like 1.31. It might be better to just go for a 4.8Ghz OC with lower voltage to keep temps down and possibly extend the life of the CPU. 

If the CPU stays at 4.9Ghz you will need to change the advanced power plan settings in windows and set the minimum processor state to 20% 

2 hours ago, LeapFrogMasterRace said:

I like to use AIDA64 they have a free trial which will last long enough to overclock.  Also you English seems good to me.  83C is okay for doing stress test because it should not get that hot when gaming so its fine. Auto voltage is kind of risky because sometimes it uses more volts then needed. I would go for a 4.9 at lower voltage like 1.31. It might be better to just go for a 4.8Ghz OC with lower voltage to keep temps down and possibly extend the life of the CPU. 

If the CPU stays at 4.9Ghz you will need to change the advanced power plan settings in windows and set the minimum processor state to 20% 

Alright ! I'll try to see if i keep it at 4.9 or not, but even at 1.31 its not stable (it wont boot). But its confusing because when stress testing it it can stay at 1.3 on auto and it will be fine, but it wont boot on 1.31 ...

Actually stress testing it with Aida64, its been 20 min and 100% stable at 1.260v with some spike to 1.275 on auto at 4.9ghz .... weird lol i dont understand why it wont even boot on 1.31v ... i even tried 1.34 and it didnt boot, instant crash...

1 hour ago, Alex Moisan said:

Alright ! I'll try to see if i keep it at 4.9 or not, but even at 1.31 its not stable (it wont boot). But its confusing because when stress testing it it can stay at 1.3 on auto and it will be fine, but it wont boot on 1.31 ...

Actually stress testing it with Aida64, its been 20 min and 100% stable at 1.260v with some spike to 1.275 on auto at 4.9ghz .... weird lol i dont understand why it wont even boot on 1.31v ... i even tried 1.34 and it didnt boot, instant crash...

That is weird my guess is that when on auto voltage it quickly adds more before it crashes. BIOS actually puts a small load on the CPU itself and makes it run at Max clocks which might be why it didn't post. Ideally I still recommend using fixed voltage because then you can eventually run adaptive voltage becasue you know exactly how much volts the CPU needs. Just keep playing around until you find an overclock you are comfortable with. 

12 hours ago, LeapFrogMasterRace said:

That is weird my guess is that when on auto voltage it quickly adds more before it crashes. BIOS actually puts a small load on the CPU itself and makes it run at Max clocks which might be why it didn't post. Ideally I still recommend using fixed voltage because then you can eventually run adaptive voltage becasue you know exactly how much volts the CPU needs. Just keep playing around until you find an overclock you are comfortable with. 

Well i managed to boot at 1.35 and it booted but i dont know if i want it to stay at 1.35 ... i mean when on auto mode it never really went above 1.3 ...

On 11/8/2020 at 7:06 PM, LeapFrogMasterRace said:

On 11/9/2020 at 7:50 AM, Alex Moisan said:

Well i managed to boot at 1.35 and it booted but i dont know if i want it to stay at 1.35 ... i mean when on auto mode it never really went above 1.3 ...

So Any idea on what to do next ? I there is no way to actually lower my voltage i guess i will just go back to normal if you really do not recommend Auto Vcore ..

I wouldnt feel safe at 1.35v on my cpu JUST to be able to boot ..

Thanks a lot 

On 11/10/2020 at 12:50 PM, Alex Moisan said:

So Any idea on what to do next ? I there is no way to actually lower my voltage i guess i will just go back to normal if you really do not recommend Auto Vcore ..

I wouldnt feel safe at 1.35v on my cpu JUST to be able to boot ..

Thanks a lot 

Try dropping it down 100 megahertz sometimes it makes a big difference in stability 

On 11/11/2020 at 2:09 PM, LeapFrogMasterRace said:

Try dropping it down 100 megahertz sometimes it makes a big difference in stability 

Yeah well ... even at 4.8 its not stable under 1.34. I don't get it lol on a lot of forums people can get it to be stable at 5/5.1ghz with a lower voltage than 1.34 .... i cant even to 4.8 hahahahaha i must be doing something wrong ! 

Anyway, thanks a lot for helping, i will keep these info in mind and maybe try with another CPU or with another motherboard ! :D

38 minutes ago, Alex Moisan said:

Yeah well ... even at 4.8 its not stable under 1.34. I don't get it lol on a lot of forums people can get it to be stable at 5/5.1ghz with a lower voltage than 1.34 .... i cant even to 4.8 hahahahaha i must be doing something wrong ! 

Anyway, thanks a lot for helping, i will keep these info in mind and maybe try with another CPU or with another motherboard ! :D

maybe you silicon is just really bad

what mb and cooling are you using?

"I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times." - Bruce Lee

Just now, HardStroke said:

maybe you silicon is just really bad

what mb and cooling are you using?

Cooling : Corsair h100i platinum

Mb : Aorus Pro z390

1 minute ago, Alex Moisan said:

Cooling : Corsair h100i platinum

Mb : Aorus Pro z390

try 4.8 at 1.35

check the VID in hwinfo and let me know

it will tell you how much voltage to cpu is requesting

are you doing X freq on all cores? or doing certain cores at certain freqs?

"I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times." - Bruce Lee

1 minute ago, HardStroke said:

try 4.8 at 1.35

check the VID in hwinfo and let me know

it will tell you how much voltage to cpu is requesting

are you doing X freq on all cores? or doing certain cores at certain freqs?

Im doing X freq on all core depending on the number of Core working (Boost) so it was like 5.1 / 5.1 /5.0 /4.9 /4.9 ..... etc

I kept all the préentered boost clock and i just changed the ones under 4.9

Should i just disable the boost clock and use the X on all core all the time ?

*I will try that later right now i need to work on my Homework ..

1 minute ago, Alex Moisan said:

Im doing X freq on all core depending on the number of Core working (Boost) so it was like 5.1 / 5.1 /5.0 /4.9 /4.9 ..... etc

I kept all the préentered boost clock and i just changed the ones under 4.9

Should i just disable the boost clock and use the X on all core all the time ?

*I will try that later right now i need to work on my Homework ..

first try X freq on all cores 

after that you can adjust the cores and freq if you want

like i said above, try 4.8GHZ on 1.35v just to make sure

this is a very high voltage value for this clock speed

you can check siliconlottery.com

they check a number of the same cpu and show you how many cpus hit what freq with what voltage

9900K    4.80GHz    4.60GHz    1.275V    100%

100% of their tested 9900Ks (many 9900K cpus, not the special edition 9900KS) hit 4.8GHZ on all cores with voltage set to 1.275

19 minutes ago, HardStroke said:

they check a number of the same cpu and show you how many cpus hit what freq with what voltage

100% of their tested 9900Ks (many 9900K cpus, not the special edition 9900KS) hit 4.8GHZ on all cores with voltage set to 1.275

Ok so i'm either really unlucky or i did something wrong ! I'll try to do 4.8 on all core and stress test it with a lower voltage (if i can even boot) 

1 hour ago, HardStroke said:

I managed to boot at 4.8Ghz (1.35v) but it's weird ... My Vcore never went aboce 1.31 EXCEPT for the boot up. Againt it's on 1.35 in my bios

*I did not stress it yet

CPU Info.PNG

*** EDIT: Apparently the Voltage goes to 1.2v when stressing it ... WTF ?

CPU Info 2.PNG

9 hours ago, Alex Moisan said:

I managed to boot at 4.8Ghz (1.35v) but it's weird ... My Vcore never went aboce 1.31 EXCEPT for the boot up. Againt it's on 1.35 in my bios

*I did not stress it yet

CPU Info.PNG

*** EDIT: Apparently the Voltage goes to 1.2v when stressing it ... WTF ?

CPU Info 2.PNG

VID is not bad at all

try 4.8GHZ with 1.3 voltage now

if thats stable go to 4.9GHZ and 1.3v

4 hours ago, HardStroke said:

VID is not bad at all

try 4.8GHZ with 1.3 voltage now

if thats stable go to 4.9GHZ and 1.3v

I will try, but again, at 4.9ghz i did not manage to boot even at 1.34 so i doubt i can do it at 1.3 ? The thing is that my Vcore in my Bios doesnt match the screenshot .... its weird ... my Vcore on these screenshot was set to 1.35v but you can see that the MAX it actually hit was 1.32 ... its weird i dont get it

22 minutes ago, Alex Moisan said:

I will try, but again, at 4.9ghz i did not manage to boot even at 1.34 so i doubt i can do it at 1.3 ? The thing is that my Vcore in my Bios doesnt match the screenshot .... its weird ... my Vcore on these screenshot was set to 1.35v but you can see that the MAX it actually hit was 1.32 ... its weird i dont get it

you can try and play with LCC

you cna also try to play with blck by a small bit