First time build: Please help

LaughingVeggies

I need help building a pc. I've selected some parts on here for clarity. I also want to know whether I should get a 670 or a 7950. You'll probably say get the 7950 for the bundle on newegg but I want to know if the 670 is also worth it. A friend of mine also said maybe I should get an 8 core motherboard since it may be good to have more for the future. http://pcpartpicker.com/user/LaughingVeggies/saved/1xM3

This rig will mainly be for gaming but I'm also looking to render/bake large files. Maybe the i7 would be better?

I'd really appreciate your help.

Thank you,

Royce

it looks great! maybe go for 16 gb of ram or you could wait for it to get cheaper. 8 cores would be overkill even if you are rendering, i think that the i5 would be a "good enough" processor though for basic gaming and a bit of rendering. 

Intel i7-3770k @ 4.5 GHz                               DCUII GTX 680                            16GB Corsair Vengeance RAM

Sabertooth Z77 ATX                                      WD Caviar Blue 500GB+ 1TB      Corsair Obsidian 750D

Corsair TX850M Watt PSU                            Bad Custom Water Cooling          Samsung 840 Pro SSD

A great build with that 7950, only thing I can suggest is that if you want to save a few bucks then grab an

FX-8350 with an AM3+ board instead of the 3570k. They'll both perform about the same, though the 3570k might have an extra FPS or two in games.

Thanks guys! I've added more ram so I have 16gbs. I'll save some money then, no need for 8 cores.

It seems they're both about the same price give or take a few dollars at the moment. Would I have to also fully switch to AMD video cards and whatnot, some websites say its better, or is it like the shampoo and conditioner mentality? On the shampoo it would say use our conditioner, "its better", "more suds" and vice versa. What I'm asking is whether I can just switch out the i5 for the 8350 and still be able to use it fully. And now that looks like a dumb question, haha.

Edit: Also I was looking for a nicer case, fractal design maybe. I haven't had time to duly research but would there be a nice one to house these components? Sadly I've been using my iPhone for all of this research and it's quite limited.

you might want to get an SSD, it will boot up really fast and open games a lot quicker than a standard hard drive

i would get a better motherboad.

something like a ASUS P8Z77 V or a P8Z77V Pro

they are only a little bit more expensive. but they are worth it. trust me.

you might want to get an SSD, it will boot up really fast and open games a lot quicker than a standard hard drive

Yeah, definitely get an SSD, you can get a Samsung 840 120GB (non pro) for about 100$, should be enough for OS and frequently used programs and a few games. Also consider not buying an optical drive if you don't use it (it won't save you much money but it will make the system look a bit cleaner) and why the network adapter? :D.

I've been building computers for clients and I wish the best of luck to ya, if you need help feel free to message me at any time. The case I would recommend corsair they have really changed computer cases all over and I personally use one myself and love it. For rendering I do the same thing with an i7 and use every bit of it. I'd recommend an i7 if you can fit it in the budget, 16 gb of ram is also very good. Currently amd is having "frame ripping" to say so I'd personally suggest the nividia side since I've own four amd cards and they die pretty quick, my nivida do t seem to die. I still got my gtx 260 playing battlefield 3. Hope this helps you, once again message me if you have any questions.

Spoiler

Project Casper - Glass Tubing Build

Ryzen 9 5905x     |    Gigabyte Aorus Extreme X570    |   Strix 3090

GSkill 64gb 4000mhz   |    EVGA 1600T psu     |      3x Samsung 980 Pro NVME 1tb Raid 0 

4 x Crucial MX500 2tb raid 0   |    Glass Hard Line Tubing  - EKWB Blocks 

Thanks guys! I've added more ram so I have 16gbs. I'll save some money then, no need for 8 cores.

It seems they're both about the same price give or take a few dollars at the moment. Would I have to also fully switch to AMD video cards and whatnot, some websites say its better, or is it like the shampoo and conditioner mentality? On the shampoo it would say use our conditioner, "its better", "more suds" and vice versa. What I'm asking is whether I can just switch out the i5 for the 8350 and still be able to use it fully. And now that looks like a dumb question, haha.

Edit: Also I was looking for a nicer case, fractal design maybe. I haven't had time to duly research but would there be a nice one to house these components? Sadly I've been using my iPhone for all of this research and it's quite limited.

The i5 has gold "plates" that touch the pins on the board, the 8350 has the pins on the CPU. These CPUs from the two companies use completely different sockets so no they are no backwards compatible.

Spoiler

GSkill 64gb 4000mhz   |    EVGA 1600T psu     |      3x Samsung 980 Pro NVME 1tb Raid 0 

To a fox to one of my past post, I'd say a corsair 650d or a carbine series or vengeance, these are both amazing cases and love to work for them.

Spoiler

To a fox to one of my past post, I'd say a corsair 650d or a carbine series or vengeance, these are both amazing cases and love to work for them.

Spoiler

i would get a better motherboad.

something like a ASUS P8Z77 V or a P8Z77V Pro

they are only a little bit more expensive. but they are worth it. trust me.

Thanks for your help! I'll update the list then. Man... they're expensive. My orginal budget was $900, lol. Guess a $1500 is more of a deal. 

Yeah, definitely get an SSD, you can get a Samsung 840 120GB (non pro) for about 100$, should be enough for OS and frequently used programs and a few games. Also consider not buying an optical drive if you don't use it (it won't save you much money but it will make the system look a bit cleaner) and why the network adapter? :D.

But they're so expensive xD. I'll just buy one and keep my 2 500gb oldies. Hopefully they dont burnout  <_<

I'm a pirate ye lad, yo ho. Hahaha! 

The network adapter for connecting to the internet. Am I thinking of something else? Do all of the modern CPUs have wireless anyways? 

The i5 has gold "plates" that touch the pins on the board, the 8350 has the pins on the CPU. These CPUs from the two companies use completely different sockets so no they are no backwards compatible.

Thank you, I might take you up on that. I'm not a big renderer, but in a few years I plan on getting the equivalent or something higher than the i7. I play with Blender 3D but not enough to spend a ton of cash, haha. In due time. 

And yeah, I don't want some crappy cards, I don't know all of the sub names for big companies yet, so thanks for the nvdia comment, really appreciate it :). 

Yeah, I was wondering if my case was any good. I was looking at maybe a Fractal Design but some of them wouldn't fit my cards and I don't have much time to research. 

I've been building computers for clients and I wish the best of luck to ya, if you need help feel free to message me at any time. The case I would recommend corsair they have really changed computer cases all over and I personally use one myself and love it. For rendering I do the same thing with an i7 and use every bit of it. I'd recommend an i7 if you can fit it in the budget, 16 gb of ram is also very good. Currently amd is having "frame ripping" to say so I'd personally suggest the nividia side since I've own four amd cards and they die pretty quick, my nivida do t seem to die. I still got my gtx 260 playing battlefield 3. Hope this helps you, once again message me if you have any questions.

Wait, so what cards were you talking about? "suggest the nividia side since...". Nvidia instead of the G. Skill?

I never got a ATI but the never settle bundle makes them god damn sexy.

You should take the 7950

Swapp the 3770k for a 3570k and get a 256 840 Pro.

Your motherboard has built-in wireless internet.

Go for a fractal design, i think your parts should fit

Im not much of a render but Id say the 3570k as it will save you a lot, Case wise go for what you like looking at, whether you want some flashy lights and such or just want a stealthy power beast sitting quiet on the floor.  I use a Fractal Design MIDI tower myself, i'm using 2 128 SSD in raid 0 for my boot and games (i record with fraps, why i like the fast recording speed), but the raid 0 can be hard to setup if your new to it. I would say you would need a 256 gb for boot and games sins you wont be able to fit manny thing on the 128, and keep your old  2x 500 drives for storage but keep the really important stuff on more than one drive incase they die. I just became a huge fan of Liquid pre done coolers quite cheap and really effective, iv had experience with H100 and Swiftech H220, the H220 is more expensive but is in my experience the best out there and will allow some nice over-clocking (Im new to that as well, but some Mb have that OC Gini or equivalent that makes it easy to do safe OC's)

Running 4,3 mhz on my 3570k with idle temps on 29-32 Celsius. 

Best of luck!

I have some questions.

1. How serious are you about rendering? because with an Nvidia card you'd get CUDA, but with an AMD card, you get free games
  2. Are you recording your gameplays? because if you are then you'd definitely
    need an i7, over an i5 as fraps/dxtory/afterburner would need the extra threads, however you'd find that and i5 and i7 play games pretty similarly
  3. Are you doing video editing along with rendering? if not, then you'd only need 8GB of memory over 16GB
  4. How much do you use your DVD burner? if you only use it for installing OS, you should just use a laptop or your old machine to image the disc onto a flashdrive. I just keep a Samsung SE-208DB on the bookshelf, just in case
  5. Are you brand sensitive to Corsair? If you want to get Corsair that's fine, but Silverstone has some very competitive cases and power supplies that you may like.

6. Do you need all the pci-e slots? the Asus P8Z77-M Pro, and a cheaper mATX case like the TJ08 may be better value for you, as you probably don't need the pci-e gigabit ethernet card, and can use a USB soundcard

This is what I tell my friends to get for their first time builds:

https://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=wish_lists&wlcId=151992&action=wish_lists

with this as the upgrade plan:

https://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=wish_lists&wlcId=150994&action=wish_lists

I am a little biased to mATX because LAN parties, and none of these guys are really up to heavy overclocking yet so a cheaper cooler is more appropriate than a Noctua

It's also probably worth mentioning that USB2 is faster than the realistic speeds of wireless N

Check out my Trading Card Inventory, I probably have that one card you need

Gaming PC  Corsair C70 Arctic White ▪ MSI Z77 MPower ▪ i7-3770k, Core 4.0 GHz ▪ Patriot IEM 4 x 4GB @ 2133MHz ▪ 2 x Palit GTX 670 Jetstreams in SLI, Core 1250 MHz, Mem 3150 MHz ▪ OS on 128GB Samsung 840 Pro ▪ Silverstone ST85F-P w/ Fancy Silverstone Cables

Server ▫ Fractal Design Define R4 Titanium Grey ▪ Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 ▪ i5-2500 ▪ Corsair Vengeance 2 x 4GB @ 1600MHz ▪ Asus GTX 550ti ▪ OS on 120GB Samsung 840 ▪ 5.2TB Storage Space ▪ Antex HCG 900

But they're so expensive xD. I'll just buy one and keep my 2 500gb oldies. Hopefully they dont burnout  <_<

I'm a pirate ye lad, yo ho. Hahaha! 

The network adapter for connecting to the internet. Am I thinking of something else? Do all of the modern CPUs have wireless anyways? 

Unless they're extremely slow and/or run on IDE you're probably better of that way since the OS and programs you use most of the time will still be extremely fast.

Why would you need a DVD writer to pirate, isn't that what torrents are for?

The motherboard has its own network adapter with a Gigabit Ethernet port and in this  case, 802.11 b/g/n wifi.

Are you recording your gameplays? because if you are then you'd definitely

need an i7, over an i5 as fraps/dxtory/afterburner would need the extra threads, however you'd find that and i5 and i7 play games pretty similarly

I'm not experienced on recording but I know some youtubers (E.g. http://www.youtube.com/gophersvids) who use an i5 and have no problem recording 1080p using dxtory, even on Skyrim (which in itself is very CPU dependent).