recordings turn out blue when HDR is enabled on ps4 (supported games only)

xsalarie
Go to solution Solved by ANDRSN,

Not sure if there is a fix for this. But I can tell you why it's happening.

You're recording in HDR and its converting it to SDR and the tone mapping is all messed up. The HDR metadata is encoded differently than SDR so it makes all the colours all messed up.

see: 

hi everyone, i have an issue which i thought was only with the game but when i have HDR enabled (on my tv it looks perfectly fine) and record using thre share button or even try to play via remote play the output video turns all the blacks into blue...  does anyone have the same issue or does anyone know a fix for this other than to turn off HDR?

i have proof with a youtube video i tried to make but it will stay unlisted for now, it is the game watch dogs: Legion so beware of spoilers (although they may not be there still be warned)

https://youtu.be/SPipWGfbDQU

keep in mind that everything that even remotely looks like a faint blue is supposed to be black (water is black in gameplay but bright blue in recording)

any help will be appriciated

You're recording in HDR and its converting it to SDR and the tone mapping is all messed up. The HDR metadata is encoded differently than SDR so it makes all the colours all messed up.

see: 

1 hour ago, ANDRSN said:

see: 

ah, so there is no other fix than to turn off HDR...   then there is one big hassle, HDR cannot be turned off in the game.. yet? i dont know, but for now i'll just turn off HDR then. or maybe invest in an elgato game capture (also going to get a ps5 after a while so might consider that as priority #1)

thanks for the help anyway

19 hours ago, xsalarie said:

ah, so there is no other fix than to turn off HDR...   then there is one big hassle, HDR cannot be turned off in the game.. yet? i dont know, but for now i'll just turn off HDR then. or maybe invest in an elgato game capture (also going to get a ps5 after a while so might consider that as priority #1)

thanks for the help anyway

Yeah, unfortunately your best bet to capture HDR footage as of yet is to get a capture card that can handle an HDR output. 

When it comes to consoles so far, you usually can only turn on or off HDR in the console's settings. Most games don't allow you to just turn it on and off in-game.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.