Multiplier Issues laptop

Hi all, hope you guys can help so here goes,

I have bought a laptop from ebay HP 15-ak001nq for my young one but I have noticed that when he is trying to pay games he gets massive FPS drops. After a bit of digging I have noticed that when the GPU(nvidia gtx 950m) is used the CPU multiplier stays at 8x instead of 35x  running at about 800Mhz.

I have stress tested the CPU using Prime95 and the multiplier is about x32 - x35 only when GPU and CPU are in use the multiplier drops to x8.

I believe that the charger that came with the laptop is not his original one (90w). Looking a bit online I have notice that the CPU - i7 6700HQ has a tdp in turbo of about 45W  and the GPU GTX 950m about 75W. Could this issue be due to a low wattage of the power brink?

I can also upload some screen shots if that would help.

Thanks in advance.

CPU multiplier.png

15 minutes ago, Voidless said:

Thanks in advance.

Temps ?

Please quote or tag me @Void Master,so i can see your reply.

Everyone was a noob at the beginning, don't be discouraged by toxic trolls even if u lose 15 times in a row. Keep training and pushing yourself further and further, so u can show those sorry lots how it's done !

Be a supportive player, and make sure to reflect a good image of the game community you are a part of. 

Don't kick a player unless they willingly want to ruin your experience.

We are the gamer community, we should take care of each other !

2 minutes ago, Void Master said:

Temps ?

Under load CPU is ~80 and GPU max i've seen is 62. I'm really stumped.

Thanks for the reply :)

2 minutes ago, Voidless said:

Under load CPU is ~80 and GPU max i've seen is 62. I'm really stumped.

Thanks for the reply :)

Well it could be your power brick not supplying enough current, it happened to me a while ago where my CPU won't go above 1.6Ghz (but still reaching 80C), perhaps you can try buying a new power adapter from HP directly ?

Or going somewhere and trying out a new one.

Everyone was a noob at the beginning, don't be discouraged by toxic trolls even if u lose 15 times in a row. Keep training and pushing yourself further and further, so u can show those sorry lots how it's done !

Be a supportive player, and make sure to reflect a good image of the game community you are a part of. 

6 minutes ago, Void Master said:

Well it could be your power brick not supplying enough current, it happened to me a while ago where my CPU won't go above 1.6Ghz (but still reaching 80C), perhaps you can try buying a new power adapter from HP directly ?

Or going somewhere and trying out a new one.

I've looked at buying a 120W one but my only concern is that the amps are higher then what I can see on the back of the laptop.

They say 19V 4.62A  but the 120W ones is 19v 6.15A will this cause issues?

Just now, Voidless said:

I've looked at buying a 120W one but my only concern is that the amps are higher then what I can see on the back of the laptop.

It won't issues, the laptop with drain as much current as it needs.

But I suggest you try it out in a computer store or something before buying it. (or return it?)

There is a whole lot more that can cause throttling more than the power adapter

3 minutes ago, Voidless said:

It's good, afaik. As the same as computer PSUs, the brick won't actually send that 6.15A to the laptop, it would just send the needed power with the maximum of 6.15A.

Humor me, as you should do.

Daily drivers, below.

Diccbudd PC

Intel Xeon E3-1225 v2 || ASRock B75M Motherboard || MSI GeForce GTX 1650 Gaming X 4G || Hynix 2x8 GB DDR3 1600 MHz RAM || 480 GB Pioneer APS-SL3 SATA SSD // 1 TB Seagate 2.5" HDD || be quiet! System Power 9 500 W PSU || Cooler Master T20 CPU Cooler || Samsung S19D300 Monitor || Fantech X6 Knight Mouse || VortexSeries VX7 Pro Keyboard

Samsung Galaxy A34 5G

8GB RAM, 256GB Internal Storage, 128GB SanDisk Extreme, and you could find the rest of the specs on the interwebz lol

Lenovo ThinkPad L390 Yoga

Intel Core i5-8365U || 8 + 16 GB DDR4 (don't ask, gf bought me the 16 GB RAM as my birthday present lol) || Samsung 256GB SSD

Personal Server: CasaOS, Home Assistant, ESPHome, Jellyfin.

AMD E-350 || 3GB DDR3 || 120GB random SSD || 1TB Toshiba HDD

Audio

Redmi TV Soundbar || KZ EDX Ultra + KZ APTX Bluetooth Module || JCALLY JM6 CX31933 DAC

5 hours ago, Voidless said:

Thanks @Void Master and @dhannemon13 for your advice, I've added a screenshot with a bit more info. 

As long as the voltage is the same, you're safe. The Amperage of the power brick simply translates to more power being available for supply. Wattage = Amps * Voltage

If you're truly that concerned, buy a power brick for that specific laptop off Ebay. Dozens of sellers willing to sell cheap to people that need it.

S.K.Y.N.E.T. v4.3

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RX 6700XT |   Twin 24" Pixio PX248 Prime 1080p 144Hz Displays | 256GB Sabrent NVMe (OS) | 500GB Samsung 840 Pro #1 | 500GB Samsung 840 Pro #2 | 2TB Samsung 860 Evo1TB Western Digital NVMe | 2TB Sabrent NVMe | Intel Wireless-AC 9260