Adapters

DummyHeadGamer

I was looking at buying the Sennheiser HD 518 headphones. I noticed that the plug ends in 1/4", but does come with a reducer adapter for 3.5mm (1/8"). I was wondering if the adapter causes the headphones to lose any quality. I have heard that adapter do reduce quality ever so slightly, but I was wondering if that was true. Any thoughts and comments will be greatly appreciated. :D

AMD FX-6300 @ Stock, MSI 970a-G46 Motherboard, Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB 1600Mhz, HIS Radeon Hd 7870 Ghz Edition @ 1100/1350, WD Caviar Blue 1tb, Corsair CX600, NZXT Source 220, and a Benq 21.5 Inch Monitor.

Not significantly

The quality loss is very small from what I've heard, so no need to worry.

Spoiler

You can't replace the cable with an aftermarket cable, because sennheiser has a special cable for it. On Sennheisers website, they have a shorter 1m cable for the 518s but it doesn't end in 3.5mm

AMD FX-6300 @ Stock, MSI 970a-G46 Motherboard, Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB 1600Mhz, HIS Radeon Hd 7870 Ghz Edition @ 1100/1350, WD Caviar Blue 1tb, Corsair CX600, NZXT Source 220, and a Benq 21.5 Inch Monitor.

You can't replace the cable with an aftermarket cable, because sennheiser has a special cable for it. On Sennheisers website, they have a shorter 1m cable for the 518s but it doesn't end in 3.5mm

They sell replacement cables, the one for M50x's even fits....just doesn't lock. 

Yes, you CAN replace the cable with an aftermarket one.  (This one even locks)

http://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Audio-upgrade-Sennheiser-Headphone/dp/B00GWCFG0Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1387079994&sr=8-1&keywords=sennheiser+518+cable

And the shorter cable sennheiser have in their site, DOES end in a 3,5mm plug.

http://en-us.sennheiser.com/hd-5x8-short-cable

Mystery is the source of all true science.