Operating system OEM vs Retail

Austin Powers

I was curious, I'm finding the difference between these 2, I heard someone said in some other site says "Retail versions can be moved from PC to PC, but your retail copy of Windows 7 cannot be installed on more than one PC at any given time."

Can anyone elaborate this?

OEM versions of Windows 7 are identical to Full License Retail versions except for the following:

- OEM versions do not offer any free Microsoft direct support from Microsoft support personnel

- OEM licenses are tied to the very first computer you install and activate it on

- OEM versions allow all hardware upgrades except for an upgrade to a different model motherboard

- OEM versions cannot be used to directly upgrade from an older Windows operating system

Source: answers.microsoft.com

Aaaaaaaand you beat me to it. -_-

So when using the Retail, I can install on multiple computers and run them at same time? Or they only can transfer PC to PC but can't run them on 2 PC at same time. I'm confuse here.

You can transfer the installation to a different computer http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/135077-windows-7-installation-transfer-new-computer.html

but you can not have it activated on more than one computer at a time.

i5 3570K @ 4.0 GHz, GTX 670, 16GB 1600 Ram, 128 GB Vertex 4, 480GB M500, 2TB RAID 0, 2 x 24" Monitors

Thanks for the clarification. Maybe I stick to OEM, for some reason, I'm waiting Haswell to be out then after that I'm going to skip till Skymont is out. By the time Skymont era is out, I don't think I'll be using Windows 8 anymore.

I don´t know how it is possible, but i have made an recovery disk of my acer laptop and installed that same win7 copy onto a desktop, a toshiba laptop and a netbook. They all are running completely activated. I think it is an OEM build, build somehow you can just install it a lot of times

MSI GT70-One-899NL | i7-3630QM | Nvidia GTX675MX | 12GB 1600mhz ddr3 | 128gb mSata ssd | 1TB hdd | 17.3 Full HD non-glare | Killer E2200 

Is it true that you can only copy the retail version to 3 computers/ system builds before that functionality goes away?

Allow me to dispel some myths already present in this thread,

-You can re install as many times as you like

-You can change whatever hardware you like, motherboard included

-They are not tied to computers in any shape way or form

-OEM and Retail can only be installed on one machine at a time

The only real difference is that there's a small chance when re installing on a new motherboard you'll have to reactivate over the phone which takes a whopping 2 minutes. That 2 minutes could save you a good chunk of change assuming it even happens. I've only ever had to do it once in all the years I've been working with computers.

• 2 weeks later...
Aaaaaaaand you beat me to it. -_-
haha - well I haven't got a system I can game on at the moment, I can't go cycling or sailing because I've done my knee, my friends are away and I'm on holiday :P

And anyway; If I've got an answer to someones problem - why not share it?

Basic diffirence between OEM and retail is that retail are sold in basic it stores. At least here webstore retailers have to note customers that oems are sold only to new computers. That's why I bought new hdd when I upgraded to win7. Only place where I have found that oem is problem is when I was trying to change laptops oem win vista 32 to 64 oem from my desktop. Other than that I have used laptops oem win XP on desktop without troubles. Actuallyexchanged that with friend from pro to home edition.

Fatcs that Helepolis posted are good to know.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv