need help with xbox 1 controller

Goku1814

I need help with my xbox 1 controller, the dpad down is starting to get worn down and it doesn't register me hitting it but I've been able to temp fix it by putting a small piece of tape where the contact pad is with the actual dpad. What can i do to fix it perm? i have spare xbox 1 controllers if needed. Also it is modded.

The dpad issue is annoying.

While it feels like a newer Nintendo style controller (clicky), there is some sort of capacitive layer that the + pad pushes on, that you don't have access to, as it's under a membrane layer.  If applying a small piece of tape helps, which I assume increases the contact pressure, that's all you can do, besides applying Deoxit D5 to the surface.

The real issue happens if you apply high pressure and it causes the pad to stop registering, and it registers when you apply very low pressure.  That might be impossible to fix if disassembly and cleaning and a Deoxit bath doesn't already help.

2 minutes ago, Falkentyne said:

The dpad issue is annoying.

While it feels like a newer Nintendo style controller (clicky), there is some sort of capacitive layer that the + pad pushes on, that you don't have access to, as it's under a membrane layer.  If applying a small piece of tape helps, which I assume increases the contact pressure, that's all you can do, besides applying Deoxit D5 to the surface.

The real issue happens if you apply high pressure and it causes the pad to stop registering, and it registers when you apply very low pressure.  That might be impossible to fix if disassembly and cleaning and a Deoxit bath doesn't already help.

cant i just take out a working dpad outta my spare xbox controllers and replace it with that? This controller cost me over $150 and it can do the same exact thing as a xbox elite controller besides switching the analog caps.

Edited by Goku1814

8 minutes ago, Goku1814 said:

this is from ifixit website and it looks like u can take out the dpad unit all together

xbox controller.PNG

I was not aware this teardown existed.

Thank you, dear sir.  You won the internet award for the day.

Now the only question is is there a way to actually open the complete dpad unit...

I thought ifixit just made that Manta kit.  I had no idea they were like a huge repository of information.

1 minute ago, Falkentyne said:

I was not aware this teardown existed.

Thank you, dear sir.  You won the internet award for the day.

Now the only question is is there a way to actually open the complete dpad unit...

I thought ifixit just made that Manta kit.  I had no idea they were like a huge repository of information.

the thing i have look out for is not to mess up the mod chip inside of it or there goes $150 and a controller ive had since the xbox 1 first came out