Hi Everyone,

I need everyone's help and that is only when you can. 

So lately I have been looking for ways to build my own workstation. For my personal workstation for my line of work it needs to be one that's capable of 3D modeling and render so I'm able to make props, armor, statues of comic book characters or for board games, work on my diorama of the fictional towns/country I'm building. While at the same time I need it will allow me to do some graphic design, adobe illustrator, and other stuff for scenery backgrounds for either theatre and possibly film production. I'd also like my workstation to give me the opportunity to draft, edit video, photos, audio and music. I'd also like to be able to sync up my devices with my workstation, play video games and video chatting with friends and coworkers, and some other stuff. Any help will be greatly appreciated. The list below are some of the software I'll be using.

Microsoft Home & Business, Armorsmith Designer, AutoCAD, Autodesk Fusion 360, Adobe After Aftects, Adobe Audition, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Premier Pro, AutoREALM, Blender, Celtx, Cue Player Premium, ETC Lighting, GNU Image Manipulation Program, Inkspace, OBS Studio, OptiTrack, Pepakura Designer 4, Pro Tools, SFX, Show Cue System, SketchUP, Skype/Zoom, VenueMagic, Vectorworks, vRigger, and Zbrush.

Please feel free to contact me as soon as you can. There is absolutely no rush.

Thanks

PS I know it's a lot of software but for my line of work they will help me.

8 minutes ago, Samhain013 said:

Hi Everyone,

I need everyone's help and that is only when you can. 

So lately I have been looking for ways to build my own workstation. For my personal workstation for my line of work it needs to be one that's capable of 3D modeling and render so I'm able to make props, armor, statues of comic book characters or for board games, work on my diorama of the fictional towns/country I'm building. While at the same time I need it will allow me to do some graphic design, adobe illustrator, and other stuff for scenery backgrounds for either theatre and possibly film production. I'd also like my workstation to give me the opportunity to draft, edit video, photos, audio and music. I'd also like to be able to sync up my devices with my workstation, play video games and video chatting with friends and coworkers, and some other stuff. Any help will be greatly appreciated. The list below are some of the software I'll be using.

Microsoft Home & Business, Armorsmith Designer, AutoCAD, Autodesk Fusion 360, Adobe After Aftects, Adobe Audition, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Premier Pro, AutoREALM, Blender, Celtx, Cue Player Premium, ETC Lighting, GNU Image Manipulation Program, Inkspace, OBS Studio, OptiTrack, Pepakura Designer 4, Pro Tools, SFX, Show Cue System, SketchUP, Skype/Zoom, VenueMagic, Vectorworks, vRigger, and Zbrush.

Please feel free to contact me as soon as you can. There is absolutely no rush.

Thanks

PS I know it's a lot of software but for my line of work they will help me.

It might be worth waiting for Ryzen 5000, since AMD has said their CAD results were 20% higher than Intel, but I would wait for LTT and other reviewers to test then out first

Main PC | AMD R7 3700X | Noctua D14 | MSI RTX 2080 Super XS OC | Corsair Vengence LPX 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | MSI B550A Pro | 1TB PNY XLR8 NVMe SSD | Kingston A400 960GB SSD | 2TB Western Digital Green HDD | Fractal Design Define R6TG |

Laptop (Asus TUF FX505DY) | AMD R5 3550H | RX560X | Crucial DDR4 16GB 2400MHz | Western Digital SN550 256GB SSD | PNY CS900 960GB SSD |

Phone | Samsung S10 Lite (128GB + 128GB SD card) |

Other Cool Stuff | Steam Link | Sontronics Podcast Pro | NZXT Hue+ | Corsair K70 MK 2 (MX Brown) | Logitech G402 | HiSense A7300 43 Inch 4K TV | Logitech C920 | Ender 3 Pro with Bulleye Fan duct and BLTouch |Sony PS4 | Nintendo Switch 

Right, so if you’re doing stuff like that, you’re going to be looking at quite an expensive build I’m afraid.

Biggest thing for you will be a good GPU as 3D modelling is intensive. 

You’ll also need quite a bit of ram (however the speed won’t matter much) aswell as a good CPU, I would recommend one with allot of cores, but a lower clock speed.

The specifications will be so varied with how much you have to spend. A top end Quadro-I9 rig will run you amazingly, but you’ll pay for that privilege.

What is the name of board game if i may ask?

You didnt mention budget,that is biggest role in deciding a build for someone,if you have really money to invest,ryzen threadripper paired with one off the nvidia gpus would to the trick.

I would suggest at minimum 32gb ram,64 or more would be better.

RTX 3090 would a good gpu,but if your programs arent that taxing you could even get cheaper 3080 if you find it

On 10/21/2020 at 4:23 PM, jrhaberland said:

What's your budget? How detailed are your models?

@AdamBGames that's a very good point.

Thank you but this time I don't have a budget at the moment because I'm still waiting for something to come in the mail. As for how detailed I want the models to be I want them to be very detailed because I have people asking for accuracy which we all know that it's hard to do with some 3D modeling and rendering especially when it's a character or prop.

On 10/21/2020 at 4:25 PM, G3R489 said:

Right, so if you’re doing stuff like that, you’re going to be looking at quite an expensive build I’m afraid.

Biggest thing for you will be a good GPU as 3D modelling is intensive. 

You’ll also need quite a bit of ram (however the speed won’t matter much) aswell as a good CPU, I would recommend one with allot of cores, but a lower clock speed.

The specifications will be so varied with how much you have to spend. A top end Quadro-I9 rig will run you amazingly, but you’ll pay for that privilege.

Thanks. I'll check it out. I am sure you can guess the type of work I do by the all the different types of software and programs I need.

On 10/21/2020 at 4:21 PM, AdamBGames said:

It might be worth waiting for Ryzen 5000, since AMD has said their CAD results were 20% higher than Intel, but I would wait for LTT and other reviewers to test then out first

Thank you. I really appreciate your help.

On 10/22/2020 at 1:05 PM, AzzaNezz said:

What is the name of board game if i may ask?

You didnt mention budget,that is biggest role in deciding a build for someone,if you have really money to invest,ryzen threadripper paired with one off the nvidia gpus would to the trick.

I would suggest at minimum 32gb ram,64 or more would be better.

RTX 3090 would a good gpu,but if your programs arent that taxing you could even get cheaper 3080 if you find it

The name of the board game is Arkham Horror or for any board game that I'd believe would look cool with 3D stuff. Like One of them I was planning was Clue.

The reason I didn't mention a budget because I'm still waiting for something to come in the mail that a lot of people need from the government.

Thanks. I'll put those things on the list.

On 10/21/2020 at 4:23 PM, jrhaberland said:

What's your budget? How detailed are your models?

@AdamBGames that's a very good point.

I'm still working on that.

I re-awoke this account from which I have not browsed in many, many years just to post.

As someone who has done 3d modeling in some of the programs you mentioned, such as Zbrush, Blender, Photoshop and such, mainly for game devolopment and graphics design, you do not *need* a system with Quadros and 5990x(s). The strength of the system you need depends all on how detailed, and how intensive your models are. To be able to utilize the power of aforementioned components, you'd be looking at gigantic models, and if you are that type of user, you wouldn't be out here posting on these forums (they know what they need, and don't copy paste a list of programs either.)

For the workcase you've described, you will be absolutely fine starting off with something with a good processor (even a 3600x will get you started), decent graphics card and a good amount of RAM. Literally a decent gaming PC will be fine, I personally use a system with a 9700 and RTX 2070 with 32GBs of RAM (got a good deal on a prebuilt, though it probably wasn't that great of a deal) and it works great even for more really intensive models with a "butt-ton" of polygons.

I recommend setting aside your work-case, and buying/building a good gaming pc that fits the budget you get, and get a high resolution monitor with decent color accuracy. That is all you need, and honestly all you should get.

22 minutes ago, billybobwhitestick said:

I re-awoke this account from which I have not browsed in many, many years just to post.

As someone who has done 3d modeling in some of the programs you mentioned, such as Zbrush, Blender, Photoshop and such, mainly for game devolopment and graphics design, you do not *need* a system with Quadros and 5990x(s). The strength of the system you need depends all on how detailed, and how intensive your models are. To be able to utilize the power of aforementioned components, you'd be looking at gigantic models, and if you are that type of user, you wouldn't be out here posting on these forums (they know what they need, and don't copy paste a list of programs either.)

For the workcase you've described, you will be absolutely fine starting off with something with a good processor (even a 3600x will get you started), decent graphics card and a good amount of RAM. Literally a decent gaming PC will be fine, I personally use a system with a 9700 and RTX 2070 with 32GBs of RAM (got a good deal on a prebuilt, though it probably wasn't that great of a deal) and it works great even for more really intensive models with a "butt-ton" of polygons.

I recommend setting aside your work-case, and buying/building a good gaming pc that fits the budget you get, and get a high resolution monitor with decent color accuracy. That is all you need, and honestly all you should get.

Actually in my line of work. Which is IATSE (International Alliance of Theatrical Stagehand Employees) I need a lot of software plus I'm starting my own business that allows me to build things for the cosplay community and fix things and build for theatre community. I am also studying to welding, blacksmithing, bladesmithing, armoursmithing, etc. I plan on 3D modeling and printing up all of the armors and props/weapons from the sow Ronin Warriors because I like them and some other stuff from games and tv shows that are life size. As for the monitor the best one when using adobe is Dell UltraSharp UO2716D, 27". I have done that research already and have asked editors in Hollywood which they prefer. Plus I am working on screenplays and doing a lot of video chats with friends/co-workers.

10 minutes ago, Samhain013 said:

Actually in my line of work. Which is IATSE (International Alliance of Theatrical Stagehand Employees) I need a lot of software plus I'm starting my own business that allows me to build things for the cosplay community and fix things and build for theatre community. I am also studying to welding, blacksmithing, bladesmithing, armoursmithing, etc. I plan on 3D modeling and printing up all of the armors and props/weapons from the sow Ronin Warriors because I like them and some other stuff from games and tv shows that are life size. As for the monitor the best one when using adobe is Dell UltraSharp UO2716D, 27". I have done that research already and have asked editors in Hollywood which they prefer. Plus I am working on screenplays and doing a lot of video chats with friends/co-workers.

All of what you said, I can do with no problems on my PC. Like I said before, the workcase you describe does not require anything top of the line like Quadros or 3090s, and my advice still stands. In game dev, which is likely much more demanding than cad designs you describe like armour or props, my current system works just fine and is not top of the line by any means.

At the end of the day, it is your money to spend how you wish, however from my experience and knowledge that i've gained by actually making games as a hobby, and doing creative work on the side, a lot which overlaps with what you describe, I would recommend a decent gaming pc.

1 hour ago, billybobwhitestick said:

All of what you said, I can do with no problems on my PC. Like I said before, the workcase you describe does not require anything top of the line like Quadros or 3090s, and my advice still stands. In game dev, which is likely much more demanding than cad designs you describe like armour or props, my current system works just fine and is not top of the line by any means.

At the end of the day, it is your money to spend how you wish, however from my experience and knowledge that i've gained by actually making games as a hobby, and doing creative work on the side, a lot which overlaps with what you describe, I would recommend a decent gaming pc.

The reason I need all those programs is because when you working a show or filming you need to have really quick cues especially with lighting and sound so you have set up those cues far advance. The reason I want to go faster because I want to be able to upload and download things without it freezing and getting overheated. Plus when I'm editing photos and videos I'm able to transfer things easily. When I'm drafting things or designing things I need a clear picture and it needs to be fast so I can get things down on time.

19 hours ago, billybobwhitestick said:

Also the other reason I'd like to be so fast is so when I can convert files into their proper conversion it will be able to do it fast and smoothly.