What is this CPU?

I'm in the market for a new laptop and I really put in the work sifting through them this time. In all that searching, I found a nice machine for me but stumbled on something strange. This is a link to the laptop on asus's website.

https://store.asus.com/us/item/202003AM280000007/A50181-ASUS-TUF-Gaming-A15-Gaming-Laptop%2C-15.6”-144Hz-Full-HD-IPS-Type%2C-AMD-Ryzen-7-4800H%2C-GeForce-RTX-2060%2C-16GB-DDR4%2C-1TB-PCIe-SSD%2C-Gigabit-Wi-Fi-5%2C-Windows-10-Home%2C-TUF506IV-AS76

I want an AMD CPU because I'll be using lightweight bioinformatics work which is heavily multithreaded (in addition to gaming of course). If you look at specs on this laptop though, you'll see it lists the CPU as a "Quad-Core AMD Ryzen 7 4800H" and this is the problem. If my understanding of CPU's is right, the 7 4800H is an 8-Core not a quad-core, and I'll need those extra cores.

I even went so far as calling support for both Asus and AMD and got conflicted answers. AMD informed me that they don't make a 4000 series chip that's quad-core, but the Asus support said this is indeed a quad-core 7 4800H. Further, I found a similar issue on a Dell laptop:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-g5-15-6-gaming-laptop-144hz-amd-ryzen-7-8gb-memory-amd-radeon-rx-5600m-512gb-solid-state-drive-grey/6409421.p?skuId=6409421

where under specs it lists the CPU as a 6-core, but the thumbnail calls it a quad-core, even though it has the 7 4800H.

So, is it the case that there are simply different versions of the 7 4800H, or are these just wide-spread typos on well-known company websites? I can't seem to find a solid answer and the difference completely changes the reasonable pricepoint for this system.

1 minute ago, drurya96 said:

are these just wide-spread typos on well-known company websites?

yes, and customer service from these companies won't do squat. you call Asus customer support, you say "does this laptop have a quad core Ryzen 7 4800U in it?" The customer service rep looks up the spec sheet, which has the error on it, and says "yes, it says it on the spec sheet here" because customer service reps don't need to know anything about CPUs.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

3 minutes ago, drurya96 said:

I'm in the market for a new laptop and I really put in the work sifting through them this time. In all that searching, I found a nice machine for me but stumbled on something strange. This is a link to the laptop on asus's website.

https://store.asus.com/us/item/202003AM280000007/A50181-ASUS-TUF-Gaming-A15-Gaming-Laptop%2C-15.6”-144Hz-Full-HD-IPS-Type%2C-AMD-Ryzen-7-4800H%2C-GeForce-RTX-2060%2C-16GB-DDR4%2C-1TB-PCIe-SSD%2C-Gigabit-Wi-Fi-5%2C-Windows-10-Home%2C-TUF506IV-AS76

I want an AMD CPU because I'll be using lightweight bioinformatics work which is heavily multithreaded (in addition to gaming of course). If you look at specs on this laptop though, you'll see it lists the CPU as a "Quad-Core AMD Ryzen 7 4800H" and this is the problem. If my understanding of CPU's is right, the 7 4800H is an 8-Core not a quad-core, and I'll need those extra cores.

I even went so far as calling support for both Asus and AMD and got conflicted answers. AMD informed me that they don't make a 4000 series chip that's quad-core, but the Asus support said this is indeed a quad-core 7 4800H. Further, I found a similar issue on a Dell laptop:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-g5-15-6-gaming-laptop-144hz-amd-ryzen-7-8gb-memory-amd-radeon-rx-5600m-512gb-solid-state-drive-grey/6409421.p?skuId=6409421

where under specs it lists the CPU as a 6-core, but the thumbnail calls it a quad-core, even though it has the 7 4800H.

So, is it the case that there are simply different versions of the 7 4800H, or are these just wide-spread typos on well-known company websites? I can't seem to find a solid answer and the difference completely changes the reasonable pricepoint for this system.

It's just typo's on their end and well the support use the site for your questions so nothing special.

However both laptops you chose here are some of the worst ryzen 4000 laptops available.

I'd steer away from these and either get an hp omen ryzen 4000 machine or a xmg core 15. The xmg core 15 is the absolute best ryzen 4000 laptop out right now and the hp is not far behind it. There is also the zephyrus g14 but that one is more expensive than both laptops and only has it's size over the xmg. Otherwise I would rank it about the same as the hp omen if you don't take the size into consideration.

Note that customer service rep does not need good knowledge. They are just good at looking up things.

If it's a 4800H, then it's an 8 core even if they say it's a quad (since model names/numbers matter more to customer service), so don't worry.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

This is my first time using this forum, can I reply directly to a reply here or do I just have to quote?

However both laptops you chose here are some of the worst ryzen 4000 laptops available.

I'd steer away from these and either get an hp omen ryzen 4000 machine or a xmg core 15. The xmg core 15 is the absolute best ryzen 4000 laptop out right now and the hp is not far behind it. There is also the zephyrus g14 but that one is more expensive than both laptops and only has it's size over the xmg. Otherwise I would rank it about the same as the hp omen if you don't take the size into consideration.

jaslion, can you explain why this is the case? I'm decently informed on desktop builds, but this is my first time looking at specific hardware of laptops. What about this system is lacking?

9 minutes ago, drurya96 said:

This is my first time using this forum, can I reply directly to a reply here or do I just have to quote?

The quote button, back arrow at the bottom of a post, will send a notification to the user that you're quoting. you can also highlight with your mouse cursor and quote part of a post instead of the whole thing, like I just did. Alternatively you can use @jaslion and when it comes up in orange it will also send a notification.

9 minutes ago, drurya96 said:

jaslion, can you explain why this is the case? I'm decently informed on desktop builds, but this is my first time looking at specific hardware of laptops. What about this system is lacking?

When it comes to laptops, the cooling is usually the make or break tbh.

Edited by Fasauceome

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

8 minutes ago, drurya96 said:

You replied correctly by using the quote.

The tuf has a BAD screen not great cooling and the overall build quality is well not good.

The dell is ok but it's basically a cheap laptop from 2012 in terms of looks, buildquality and well feel. It's for sure not great. The screen is not the best and the performance is lacking.

Just now, jaslion said:

You replied correctly by using the quote.

The tuf has a BAD screen not great cooling and the overall build quality is well not good.

The dell is ok but it's basically a cheap laptop from 2012 in terms of looks, buildquality and well feel. It's for sure not great. The screen is not the best and the performance is lacking.

The tuf is the one I was looking at, the Dell was a one-off to show the original problem. What about the screen on the tuf is bad? Its 144Hz 1920x1080, but that's all I know to look for. Is there another aspect of the screen I need to be looking at? How can I assess the cooling? Is that just looking through reviews? And what about the GPU, I picked the tuf because I'm assuming based on others I've looked at that the 2060 is very good, with the 2070 being just outside my price range and honestly probably outside what I'll play on it. Is this an appropriate assessment of laptop GPUs or am I way off?

I still have my desktop for most games, but will game some on the laptop too. Basically, I need a laptop for work/school/light bioinformatics, but if I'm getting one anyway I want to be able to game on it some too.

1 minute ago, drurya96 said:

The tuf is the one I was looking at, the Dell was a one-off to show the original problem. What about the screen on the tuf is bad? Its 144Hz 1920x1080, but that's all I know to look for. Is there another aspect of the screen I need to be looking at? How can I assess the cooling? Is that just looking through reviews? And what about the GPU, I picked the tuf because I'm assuming based on others I've looked at that the 2060 is very good, with the 2070 being just outside my price range and honestly probably outside what I'll play on it. Is this an appropriate assessment of laptop GPUs or am I way off?

I still have my desktop for most games, but will game some on the laptop too. Basically, I need a laptop for work/school/light bioinformatics, but if I'm getting one anyway I want to be able to game on it some too.

The screen on the tuf has terrible colour reproduction and actually has an input lag problem. Which makes it not good for gaming and also not good for well general use as things just look off. Cooling is reviews indeed but it hits max temps quickly and cannot keep itself cool.

Laptop gpus are in essence quite simple to know which ones will be better. I mean plenty of cases where for instance a 2060 just flat out beats a 2080. Why? Power. The 2000 series of gpu's are based on the same design more or less so if a 2060 is allowed 110w of power and a 2080 only 90w then well the 2060 can clock itself higher and thus outspeed the 2080. The one thing the 2080 has over a 2060 always is raytracing but you aren't gonna do that on a mobile 2080 anyways.

This is why the xmg core 15 is such a stupidly good laptop. It has a really good colour accurate screen, really good cooling and good build quality for a good price. With good cooling I mean insane cooling. It allows the 45w amd chips to consume up to 72w of power which means that they can all run at the same speed as their desktop counterparts. So you have a 4800h acting like a 3700x desktop cpu in your laptop suddenly and it can easily handle it. The xmg also has the refreshed 2060 which is one of the most powerfull mobile gpu's out there right now. So essentially what it comes down to is that the xmg laptop has desktop performance in a regular laptop shell whilst being the same weight as the tuf. It's a little more expensive but it's beyond worth the price as well the tuf is just a bad laptop.

The hp omen is just a solid laptop. Good screen, good build quality good cooling, full power non refresh 2060,... it's usually only 50€ cheaper than the xmg laptop so that is why I don't recommend it over the xmg as the xmg is better in every which way.

11 minutes ago, jaslion said:

The screen on the tuf has terrible colour reproduction and actually has an input lag problem. Which makes it not good for gaming and also not good for well general use as things just look off. Cooling is reviews indeed but it hits max temps quickly and cannot keep itself cool.

Laptop gpus are in essence quite simple to know which ones will be better. I mean plenty of cases where for instance a 2060 just flat out beats a 2080. Why? Power. The 2000 series of gpu's are based on the same design more or less so if a 2060 is allowed 110w of power and a 2080 only 90w then well the 2060 can clock itself higher and thus outspeed the 2080. The one thing the 2080 has over a 2060 always is raytracing but you aren't gonna do that on a mobile 2080 anyways.

This is why the xmg core 15 is such a stupidly good laptop. It has a really good colour accurate screen, really good cooling and good build quality for a good price. With good cooling I mean insane cooling. It allows the 45w amd chips to consume up to 72w of power which means that they can all run at the same speed as their desktop counterparts. So you have a 4800h acting like a 3700x desktop cpu in your laptop suddenly and it can easily handle it. The xmg also has the refreshed 2060 which is one of the most powerfull mobile gpu's out there right now. So essentially what it comes down to is that the xmg laptop has desktop performance in a regular laptop shell whilst being the same weight as the tuf. It's a little more expensive but it's beyond worth the price as well the tuf is just a bad laptop.

The hp omen is just a solid laptop. Good screen, good build quality good cooling, full power non refresh 2060,... it's usually only 50€ cheaper than the xmg laptop so that is why I don't recommend it over the xmg as the xmg is better in every which way.

The xmg is 47% more expensive than the tuf though, and the omen is 12% more expensive with a 1660Ti in place of the 2060. That said, I am seeing reviews that indicate the heating and screen problems you mentioned. Do you know of a build with the components of the tuf that is better built? I don't particularly care about size or weight, and 17" is fine too. I really don't want to go above $1,400 usd though, which the xmg well exceeds. 

2 hours ago, drurya96 said:

The xmg is 47% more expensive than the tuf though, and the omen is 12% more expensive with a 1660Ti in place of the 2060. That said, I am seeing reviews that indicate the heating and screen problems you mentioned. Do you know of a build with the components of the tuf that is better built? I don't particularly care about size or weight, and 17" is fine too. I really don't want to go above $1,400 usd though, which the xmg well exceeds. 

The 1660ti in the omen performs better than the 2060 in the tuf due to not having thermal issues. So I'd say other than that one I don't really have any other good alternative.

15 hours ago, drurya96 said:

is it the case that there are simply different versions of the 7 4800H

4800H is 8c16t.

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128