Smart doorbell and camera that uses LOCAL network storage

Draghmar

I was watching Linus video the other day where he upgraded his house (again!) to the new version with the doorbell from Ubiquiti and I asked myself: "Why I didn't think about that before? There should surely be some devices that doesn't need remote storage (cloud) to store videos. Right?"

So I opened up my search provider and tried to find one...with no luck. I've manage to get handful of doorbells that were using SD card to store videos but I'd rather have something that I could configure to save all the videos (and maybe events) to the server of my choosing. Maybe through Samba or maybe through SCP. Doesn't matter actually if only it would allow to make it happen. Maybe some of the things I've manage to find did allow for abominations like that but I'm pretty sure they won't shout about it because even with SD card they often have the subscription as a optional bonus.

The other approach would be to have my own controller app that I could install on my machine (Linux) that could grab all the devices I would put in my home and make the magic. That could be even better...

Have you encountered such devices?

꧁╭⊱́𝕀́ ̖𝕕̨̖𝕠̨ ͗𝕨̨͗𝕖̨̖𝕓̖̞𝕤̨̞𝕚̨͐𝕥͐́𝕖̨́𝕤̨⊱╮꧂

¨˜ˆ”°¹~·-.„¸(͡o‿O͡)¸„.-·~¹°”ˆ˜¨

3 minutes ago, Draghmar said:

I was watching Linus video the other day where he upgraded his house (again!) to the new version with the doorbell from Ubiquiti and I asked myself: "Why I didn't think about that before? There should surely be some devices that doesn't need remote storage (cloud) to store videos. Right?"

So I opened up my search provider and tried to find one...with no luck. I've manage to get handful of doorbells that were using SD card to store videos but I'd rather have something that I could configure to save all the videos (and maybe events) to the server of my choosing. Maybe through Samba or maybe through SCP. Doesn't matter actually if only it would allow to make it happen. Maybe some of the things I've manage to find did allow for abominations like that but I'm pretty sure they won't shout about it because even with SD card they often have the subscription as a optional bonus.

The other approach would be to have my own controller app that I could install on my machine (Linux) that could grab all the devices I would put in my home and make the magic. That could be even better...

Have you encountered such devices?

Any security system?  Storing compressed video on hard drive is old hat in that space

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

12 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Any security system?  Storing compressed video on hard drive is old hat in that space

Yeah, that is an option but the thing is I don't want hardware controller and I want to be the one that choose where to save. Doorbells and such are something like standalone devices which is great for me because I can buy one or two and connect the way I choose. My main focus here is actually doorbell with camera with addition of being able to use app for two-way talk and things like that. Security systems are...welll...for security, not exactly to be smart. ;) That's why I've mentioned Ubiquiti doorbell - it's smart doorbell with remote video saving. But it also needs hardware controller as far I understand. But if there's a device that can save to the proprietary device then maybe there's also one that can do that but to my device. Or app.

10 minutes ago, Draghmar said:

Yeah, that is an option but the thing is I don't want hardware controller and I want to be the one that choose where to save. Doorbells and such are something like standalone devices which is great for me because I can buy one or two and connect the way I choose. My main focus here is actually doorbell with camera with addition of being able to use app for two-way talk and things like that. Security systems are...welll...for security, not exactly to be smart. ;) That's why I've mentioned Ubiquiti doorbell - it's smart doorbell with remote video saving. But it also needs hardware controller as far I understand. But if there's a device that can save to the proprietary device then maybe there's also one that can do that but to my device. Or app.

Dahua make such a doorbell/entry camera. You'll have to brave AliExpress to get one though.

Intermit.tech did a few videos on it here:
1) 

2) 

ONVIF/RSTP, so works with pretty much any solution for recording.

26 minutes ago, Draghmar said:

Zoneminder (Linux based) is the route I am taking. Can do ANPR, face/object recognition.

17 minutes ago, Draghmar said:

Imho the entire concept of smart appliance is a contradiction in terms.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

16 hours ago, TehDwonz said:

Dahua make such a doorbell/entry camera. You'll have to brave AliExpress to get one though.

ONVIF/RSTP, so works with pretty much any solution for recording.

Thanks! The one he has is a little bit bulky for my taste but I see that this company has more doorbells that looks like they should have the same posibilities.

16 hours ago, TehDwonz said:

Zoneminder (Linux based) is the route I am taking. Can do ANPR, face/object recognition.

I totally forgot about Zoneminder! I was playing with it many years ago. Thanks for reminding me about it!