Need Help Picking out a Monitor for CAD and gaming

Server_42

Hi, I am looking at either get one (1) monitor or two (2) of the same monitors (depending on the price).

Uses:

• CAD
  • Programming
  • Gaming
  • Productivity

My priority is mostly CAD, however, I also want to do some gaming including competitive games. I would prefer a good balance of CAD and gaming and either a 32" or an ultrawide. I'm planning on getting a 3080 FE (when I can) so my budget is about $1,400, however, I would prefer to spend less then that if possible.

I do not have a preference between 120hz and 144hz as I am fairly new to gaming on PC. 

Thanks in advance for the help and recommendations.

The Gigabyte ultrawide is pretty good, give it a whirl! I think the  21/9 aspect ratio will  help with cad, and the 144hz refresh rate will make ur games look great! All for 400 bucks! Another ultrawide option is the LG 34GN850-B 34 Inch is also great, this one has 1440p is Ips, and has great gaming performance, it is the ultrawide counterpart to the gn850, go check linus's video on it out!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi I am on a pretty similar search. I haven't upgraded in quite sometime but end of year should bring some kind of config of 3070 or 3080 and new Ryzen to me. And with home office having taken over my life I'm looking for a good work / casual gaming monitor a bit before that upgrade. I'm a bit torn between choices of specs. 

-My work mainly covers CAD, 3D, Photoshop and InDesign (for print) so great colour accuracy would be nice. I also do some hobby photography. Not sure what that means translated to colour space coverage I thought it should not be much less than 100% of sRGB.

-My gaming needs should be somewhere middle of the road, minimal 1440p, around 144Hz should be good / nice to have. I haven't been playing games for quite sometime but want to get back into it. Mostly single player probably.

I think size should be around 27'' or larger but not huge.  I'm not particularly looking for a ultrawide / widescreen although they are nice (at work we have something like the Samsung C34H890WGU, not sure if it is this exact model). At the moment I have a 1080p, 23inch at home.

So I'm hovering a bit around different choices:

- Should I go 4K? - Does anyone know if it's good value for money for my work use, any experiences would be appreciated. -  I think for gaming I could live happily with 1440p for a few years.
- Should I go HDR? - Is my assumption right that it won't be worth chasing after it. As far as I have found out it is quite difficult to find a good bright HDR panel that doesn't add massively to the price. I think same as with the resolution I could wait the few years until my next upgrade. Most newer monitors seem to have some form of HDR but mostly sub what qualifies as HDR400. 

- How important is GTG response time? As I understand the 'How to choose a monitor' post, everything around 5ms should be fine for my needs. Any differing opinions?

-  Maybe HDCP 2.2 compatibility would be nice for 4K since I don't have a TV and could use the close to free UHD TV I can receive through my internet provider.

These are some of my candidates in no particular order:

Dell S2721DGF

ASUS TUF VG27AQ

BenQ PD2700U

BenQ EX3203R

LG 27UK850-W

Samsung C34H890WGU

Gigabyte Aorus FI27Q-P

I'd want to spend around 400 to max. 700 CHF (400- 800 USD), for that little extra features that would round out the package maybe also up to a 1000 USD