Upgrading to All NVMe Drives

ShadowPlay23231
Go to solution Solved by Alex Atkin UK,
1 minute ago, ShadowPlay23231 said:

what was worrying me was the PCIe Lanes because my Motherboard has 32 lanes but my cpu only has 16. Is this going to cause an issue?

This setup AFAIK takes 8 lanes from your primary PCIe slot, leaving 8 lanes for your GPU.

This isn't really a problem today, but could be going forward once games start using DirectStorage.

So here is my build i wanted to use 2 of the drive for storage for games

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/ShadowTehAmazing/saved/R7QGLk

This is the adapter I want to use because i don't have enough m.2 slots

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NQBQB6Z/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I was going to put it into RAID 0

Just now, AndreiArgeanu said:

The PC part picker list is private.

fixed now sorry

what was worrying me was the PCIe Lanes because my Motherboard has 32 lanes but my cpu only has 16. Is this going to cause an issue?

13 minutes ago, ShadowPlay23231 said:

So here is my build i wanted to use 2 of the drive for storage for games

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/ShadowTehAmazing/saved/R7QGLk

This is the adapter I want to use because i don't have enough m.2 slots

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NQBQB6Z/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I was going to put it into RAID 0

Do bear in mind that you get the most benefit out of faster NVME storage for your OS drive, as that is the one writing a lot.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

1 minute ago, ShadowPlay23231 said:

This setup AFAIK takes 8 lanes from your primary PCIe slot, leaving 8 lanes for your GPU.

This isn't really a problem today, but could be going forward once games start using DirectStorage.

WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)

Just now, Alex Atkin UK said:

Do bear in mind that you get the most benefit out of faster NVME storage for your OS drive, as that is the one writing a lot.

thanks for the information. I am fully aware. The way my case is i dont want SATA SSD's anymore since i discovered a design flaw in my case. I broke my SATA SSD from moving cables around. I dont want that happening again

Just now, ShadowPlay23231 said:

thanks for the information. I am fully aware. The way my case is i dont want SATA SSD's anymore since i discovered a design flaw in my case. I broke my SATA SSD from moving cables around. I dont want that happening again

Surely you wont be moving cables around every day?

1 minute ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

you think by 2021 Direct Storage will be released? I am intel only kind of guy and by they they will have PCIe 4.0

Just now, Alex Atkin UK said:

Surely you wont be moving cables around every day?

I dont do it all the time no. I was removing wires and it snagged on the drive and ripped the SATA drive I/O out

58 minutes ago, ShadowPlay23231 said:

you think by 2021 Direct Storage will be released? I am intel only kind of guy and by they they will have PCIe 4.0

If you're upgrading again that soon then fair enough.