monitor eye strain when turning left or right in FPS games

omuleanu

my monitor is Benq EW2430 ( https://www.displayspecifications.com/en/model/8a899ab )

MVA, 50 - 76 hz,

response time: average 9ms, max 16ms

What I noticed is that get some extreme fatigue, it is literally painful for the eyes in FPS games when turning right or left, especially if it's a sunny map, like bright environment, not all dark.

I'm playing with vsync 60FPS.

So I would like to know what's the main problem, is it the 60Hz ? or the response time ?, or the fact that it is a VA panel (known for ghosting problems) 

MSI B660M Bazooka, i5-13600K, Gigabyte GTX 1660 SUPER, 1TB 970 EVO Plus, 840EVO 500GB, 64GB (2*32) RAM Kingston Fury Beast, Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO V2, Benq EX2780Q monitor, Cooler Master N200 Case

So here are a couple of things that may cause that:
your seeting to close to the monitor

The brightness is too high

its not "flicker free" (that can really make my eye hurt) 

the response times are very different every frame and for every pixel. 

the monitor is calibrated to in a way your eye dont like. 

the pixel overdrive mode is wrong and causes a lot of smiring or ghosting. (also a pretty common one) 

maybe you need new glass, or start ware glasses. 

reading now for the second time what your wrote and this time actually trying to read and not just doing the dyslaxia reading i usually do It may be the big difference in responce time

24 minutes ago, Elad.Evron said:

So here are a couple of things that may cause that:
your seeting to close to the monitor

The brightness is too high

its not "flicker free" (that can really make my eye hurt) 

the response times are very different every frame and for every pixel. 

the monitor is calibrated to in a way your eye dont like. 

the pixel overdrive mode is wrong and causes a lot of smiring or ghosting. (also a pretty common one) 

maybe you need new glass, or start ware glasses. 

reading now for the second time what your wrote and this time actually trying to read and not just doing the dyslaxia reading i usually do It may be the big difference in responce time

brightness is at 0%, this monitor lights up a dark room at night even with 0%, I'm playing during the day,

I don't have this problem with my TN laptop (Sony VAIO 16 inch)

I stay 1 fully stretched arm length away from the screen

the ghosting is very noticeable when scrolling up and down any page with text (even here), especially when switching from the TN laptop

I'm just trying to figure out, if I buy a new monitor, should I focus on low response time, or hz

MSI B660M Bazooka, i5-13600K, Gigabyte GTX 1660 SUPER, 1TB 970 EVO Plus, 840EVO 500GB, 64GB (2*32) RAM Kingston Fury Beast, Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO V2, Benq EX2780Q monitor, Cooler Master N200 Case

2 minutes ago, omuleanu said:

brightness is at 0%, this monitor lights up a dark room at night even with 0%, I'm playing during the day,

I don't have this problem with my TN laptop (Sony VAIO 16 inch)

I stay 1 fully stretched arm length away from the screen

the ghosting is very noticeable when scrolling up and down any page with text (even here), especially when switching from the TN laptop

I'm just trying to figure out, if I buy a new monitor, should I focus on low response time, or hz

Ok so let me tell you a stoory about backlight, that thing that manufacturers say "flicker free" is refering to the backlight of the monitor. There are 2 ways to dimm a LCD monitor, one is by dimming the backlight and the second one is by flickering the backlight (faster as you lower the brightness) so that maybe your problem, the 0$ brightness is making the backlight flicker really fast and that fatuiges your eyes faster. second thing that arms lenghts applies to monitors the size of laptops, for 24 inch monitors ypu want to be a little farther and everyone prefrence is different anyway, so why dont you give a try to moving back a bit. 

Last thing, going back and forth from a low response time monitor to a high one can cause your eyes to hurt.

Wait this is actually the last thing, usually higher hrz require lower response times, (hardware unboxed explains this very good in basically every monitor reveiw they do), so if you want a new monitor look for around 5 mili seconds of response time. hope I helped 

4 hours ago, Elad.Evron said:

Wait this is actually the last thing, usually higher hrz require lower response times, (hardware unboxed explains this very good in basically every monitor reveiw they do), so if you want a new monitor look for around 5 mili seconds of response time. hope I helped 

what about 1ms response time, wouldn't that be better ?

so I imagine for best result I should look for 1ms, flicker free, perhaps an 144hz TN panel

1 minute ago, omuleanu said:

what about 1ms response time, wouldn't that be better ?

so I imagine for best result I should look for 1ms, flicker free, perhaps an 144hz TN panel

Yes it will probably look better for your eyes, but there are not a lot of new T monitors sold AOC 27g2 so I linked you to an AOC monitor that is concidered to be one of the better 144hrz monitors in the market, i linked you to the 1080p IPS 27 inch version but they also have a24 inch IPS with the same specs ecxept for that and its not expensive