Not as fast performance with SSD

RockSolid1106

I just have upgraded my PC to an SSD(that HDD was painfully slow). It takes about 30 seconds to boot up and about 2 seconds to open file explorer after clicking on the icon(my HDD took an eternity to start and open an app)! But I think this is not a performance to be expected. I have seen PCs booting faster(even within some 10 seconds!) and opening apps right at a click! Have I configured my SSD wrong? Is there anything I haven't done and will improve my performance? I use a Crucial MX500 SSD and I think this is a pretty good SSD. My laptop is a Dell Inspiron 3521 and I have confirmed that it has SATA 6Gb/s.

On 4/5/2024 at 10:13 PM, LAwLz said:

I am getting pretty fucking sick and tired of the "watch something else" responses. It's such a cop out answer because you could say that about basically anything, and it doesn't address the actual complaints. People use it as some kind of card they pull when they can't actually respond to the criticism raised but they still feel like they need to defend some company/person. If you don't like this thread then stop reading it. See how stupid it is? It's basically like telling someone "shut the fuck up". It's not a clever responsive, it doesn't address anything said, and it is rude. 

^

bruh switch to dark mode its at the bottom of this page

VPN Server Guide

That's right a MX500 is a really good SSD. Now what is the rest of your pc, especially the CPU? 

2 minutes ago, Medicate said:

That's right a MX500 si a really good SSD. Now what is the rest of your pc, especially the CPU? 

PC: Dell Inspiron 3521

Processor: Core i3 3217U, 1.8GHz, 2 Cores.

RAM: 4GB

SSD: Crucial MX500

You may ask anything more you need.

I am getting pretty fucking sick and tired of the "watch something else" responses. It's such a cop out answer because you could say that about basically anything, and it doesn't address the actual complaints. People use it as some kind of card they pull when they can't actually respond to the criticism raised but they still feel like they need to defend some company/person. If you don't like this thread then stop reading it. See how stupid it is? It's basically like telling someone "shut the fuck up". It's not a clever responsive, it doesn't address anything said, and it is rude. 

^

VPN Server Guide

That CPU is probably an i3-3227U or something in that range. It can struggle to use such a fast SSD to it's full potential.

You could reinstall Windows to get the fastest experience possible with your system, just make sure to back up any important data before.

Just now, Medicate said:

That CPU is probably an i3-3370U or something in that range. It can struggle to use such a fast SSD to it's full potential.

You could reinstall Windows to get the fastest experience possible with your system, just make sure to back up any important data before.

It's just day-before-yesterday that I have installed Windows on it. Maybe you are right about the CPU

^

VPN Server Guide

1 minute ago, Awesome84 said:

The CPU is probably holding it back. Especially since it is a dual core.

I have seen reviews of this laptop starting in 12 seconds on Amazon with the same SSD. But I don't really know about it so you may be right.

^

VPN Server Guide

9 minutes ago, Medicate said:

That CPU is probably an i3-3227U or something in that range. It can struggle to use such a fast SSD to it's full potential.

image.png.21fe9a4b6d78fe28667699b908a3c51f.png

It is an i3 3217U.. image from Task Manager. Will that actually matter? I think not. Has anybody had something similar in terms of performance and got it fixed by some tweaking? Side-note: I already have the latest firmware or my SSD installed(or so says the Crucial Storage Executive Application)

^

VPN Server Guide

It is an i3 3217U

That's a rather slow CPU from 8 years ago. That you noticed improvements definitely means that the SSD works. Now if the lower than expected performance comes from a CPU bottleneck or from a faulty SSD we can't say for sure as we'd need some testing, like using the MX500 in a computer with a fast CPU. But I'm 99% sure it's a CPU issue and not an SSD issue.
On another note what's the size of the SSD? 

3 minutes ago, Medicate said:

On another note what's the size of the SSD?

It's a SATA 2.5". No M.2

3 minutes ago, Medicate said:

That you noticed improvements definitely means that the SSD works.

I have surely seen a HUGE performance upgrade..

^

VPN Server Guide

I have a thing to say, the HDD was very slow. I mean HDD. I have another HP laptop(i3 7100U) which also has a HDD but has pretty much the same performance(same as my Laptop with an SSD). Boot times are at times lower than my Dell. The HDD had gotten slow to a crawl and its I think the same performance as I would expect from a brand new HDD.

But I now think from the replies that the CPU is an issue but I sadly cannot upgrade it.

^

VPN Server Guide