Do I need a surge protector for PC if I have ELCB and MCB in my house?

Mr. Question Asker

Although I have ordered a Belkin Surge Protector, but do I need it if I have ELCB installed in our house? (An Earth-leakage circuit breaker)

Well... I'd suggest you replace the entire ELCB and also check your electrical network while you're at it.
ELCBs have been replaced since the 60s in Germany for a good reason and depending on your electrical network, they might not work at all. 

So yeah, at least install that surge protector. 

2 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

Well... I'd suggest you replace the entire ELCB and also check your electrical network while you're at it.
ELCBs have been replaced since the 60s in Germany for a good reason and depending on your electrical network, they might not work at all. 

So yeah, at least install that surge protector. 

What you have replaced ELCB with? MCB? We have also have it installed in our home.

16 minutes ago, Mr. Question Asker said:

What you have replaced ELCB with? MCB? We have also have it installed in our home.

RCCBs or at least MCBs.

Again, I can't stress this enough, make sure your network is properly grounded. This depends on the type of network.

I can't properly explain it, but there are different types of networks, depending on where your ground is located. It's either on your own property, which is usually bad, because you will never achieve a near perfect ground or you got a seperate ground that leads back to your provider, which is what you want. In Germany a lot of homes had to be rewired during the 70s, 80s and 90s to meet those specifications and that for a good reason. I can imagine that if you still have ELCBs in place, that this is not the case. It might seem trivial, but I feel obligated to at least point you in the right direction.

In Germany they're called TN and TT System.
TT = old and bad
TN = new and good

image.png.11784f16b9605042a13349b9685474df.png

Also important side note:
I'm not an electrician, just some IT guy.

4 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

RCCBs or at least MCBs.

Again, I can't stress this enough, make sure your network is properly grounded. This depends on the type of network.

I can't properly explain it, but there are different types of networks, depending on where your ground is located. It's either on your own property, which is usually bad, because you will never achieve a near perfect ground or you got a seperate ground that leads back to your provider, which is what you want. In Germany a lot of homes had to be rewired during the 70s, 80s and 90s to meet those specifications and that for a good reason. I can imagine that if you still have ELCBs in place, that this is not the case. It might seem trivial, but I feel obligated to at least point you in the right direction.

In Germany they're called TN and TT System.
TT = old and bad
TN = new and good

image.png.11784f16b9605042a13349b9685474df.png

Also important side note:
I'm not an electrician, just some IT guy.

Thank you, We have properly grounded connection and also have MCBs installed. I live in India by the way.

Just now, Mr. Question Asker said:

Thank you, We have properly grounded connection and also have MCBs installed. I live in India by the way.

That's good then!

In that case you don't need a surge protector. Good PC power supplies are already protected against over- and undervoltage.

Most other devices should be protected too and if they're not, more often than not, the MCB will take care of it.

But that doesn't mean that additional safety precautions aren't a good idea!