Blue screens + browser/discord crashing. think I might have faulty ram but don't know for certain.

Jish2

Hello, this is my first time posting to the forum so sorry if it's not the right format or something

Starting a few days ago, my computer has been acting really strange. It started with chrome tabs occasionally crashing and giving a "status access violation" error. Then discord started to crash and restart. I thought it was weird but thought it'd just go away.

Then yesterday I started to get blue screens a few times per day. Almost all of them are "memory management" errors. I then ran the memory diagnostic tool thinking I had a memory issue, and it went about half way through the process, then said it detected hardware problems (Conveniently it would not tell me what those problems were) and then the pc shut off and it never finished the process

Some system information:

cpu: core i5 6500

mobo: msi h110m gaming

ram: 16gb ddr4 oloy 3000mhz

gpu: gtx 1660 super

storage: 480gb inland sata ssd + 1tb wd hard drive

psu: 500 watt evga

The ram, graphics card, and ssd are all upgrades I made within a month ago, so they are brand new. I am thinking my issue is memory related, but since it is brand new, I am hesitant to assume that and go out and buy new ram.

That is why I am putting this here, to see if there is any other hardware problem I may have before I determine if my ram is faulty or not. Keep in mind the system worked perfectly fine with that ram for almost a month, so that is another reason I am hesitant to think its faulty. Like if it was faulty from factory wouldn't it just not work at all? Idk man, that's why I'm putting it here.

Thanks.

Check your RAM speeds and voltage in your motherboard BIOS. Did you ever re-apply XMP after putting in the new RAM? Ideally your RAM should be running at 3000mhz and 1.35V, so if your speed or voltage is different than what it should be, change it to that and see if it fixes anything. Or try applying XMP if you never did that.

I mostly speak from my own past experience from similar problems. My solution may not work for you, but I'll always try my best to help as much as I can. If you want me to see your reply, make sure to quote my comment or mention me @WaggishOhio383, and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

-- My PC Build --

Ryzen 7 2700x

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

XFX RX 590 Fatboy

Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer RGB 16GB 3200MHz
120GB Crucial BX500 SSD + 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD

Corsair CX650M

Phanteks Eclipse P350x

49 minutes ago, WaggishOhio383 said:

Check your RAM speeds and voltage in your motherboard BIOS. Did you ever re-apply XMP after putting in the new RAM? Ideally your RAM should be running at 3000mhz and 1.35V, so if your speed or voltage is different than what it should be, change it to that and see if it fixes anything. Or try applying XMP if you never did that.

Under clock your ram (2133mhz) and set the voltage to 1.45 (don’t worry, this is just for testing purposes) if it’s stable then go higher on the memory clock till you maintain stability.

Your ram should be under warranty, they can’t check if you modify the voltage but you should still check if it’s under warranty before proceeding.

Edited by DefineOG
Added extra

Kogan 144hz monitor (Overclocked to 165) Ryzen 3 3100, RX 580 Gigabyte Windforce (1450 mhz) 2 x 8GB CL15 DDR4 3133 (Overclocked from 2400) Phanteks P300 white (RGB set to purple), Zarrius Deskpad (I have the yellow one), Razer Deathadder Essential, CK62 wireless (don’t use it wireless)

On 10/4/2020 at 9:15 PM, WaggishOhio383 said:

I applied an xmp thing but I found out that motherboard only supports 2133mhz so it didn't do anything. But thanks for the suggestion.