CPU upgrade choice

Hello guys , 

Currently sitting here , scratchin my head because of upgrade path.

My system now:

Xeon E3 1270 v3 

RTX 2080 Ti Strix

32GB DDR3

Wanted to upgrade to Ryzen 7 3700x (when Zen 3 launches , presumably Zen 2 prices will come down , but i dont mind the price)

But as i saw performance with team blue , I5 10600k looks very appealing for gaming and beats 3700x (mostly) by couple of FPS with the same GPU.

As you may know I5 10600k has 6C/12T and R7 3700x 8C/16T (i know the cores does not mean that much and main thing is the architecture of the CPU and IPS etc. i know that)

I dont like to use this word but what do you guys think , what should i buy for a long term ? Should i go with i5 or R7 ?

Thanks for your opinions !!

2 minutes ago, Roman848 said:

Wanted to upgrade to Ryzen 7 3700x (when Zen 3 launches , presumably Zen 2 prices will come down , but i dont mind the price)

But as i saw performance with team blue , I5 10600k looks very appealing for gaming and beats 3700x (mostly) by couple of FPS with the same GPU.

If you want gaming performance only, 10600K is your pick. 

But new ryzen CPUs are being announced in 4 days, so perhaps you could hold out for that to see pricing? Maybe AMD's competitor for the 10600K is quite compelling.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 minute ago, Fasauceome said:

If you want gaming performance only, 10600K is your pick. 

But new ryzen CPUs are being announced in 4 days, so perhaps you could hold out for that to see pricing? Maybe AMD's competitor for the 10600K is quite compelling.

Saw the assumed benchmarks of the ZEN 3 , looks very appealing , but i dont want to wait for new X*70 motherboards and deal with low stock of new ZEN 3 cpus (cough.. rtx3080).

I5 10600k is now better than R7 3700x (for gaming) but what about years to come ? would that stay ? Isn't R7 3700x a better "future proof" ?

16 minutes ago, Roman848 said:

I5 10600k is now better than R7 3700x (for gaming) but what about years to come ? would that stay ? Isn't R7 3700x a better "future proof" ?

the future is unknown

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

2 hours ago, Roman848 said:

Saw the assumed benchmarks of the ZEN 3 , looks very appealing , but i dont want to wait for new X*70 motherboards and deal with low stock of new ZEN 3 cpus (cough.. rtx3080).

I don't know if it is confirmed or not, but AMD is said to switch to a different socket with zen3, the first in a long while, so that R7 may not be future proof. New generation Ryzen socket may be supporte for a long time, or they may pull an intel.

Unless the prices drop steeply, that 3700x will still be in stock for a while.