AM2+ MB with AM3+ CPU Compatibility?

Hi. I have this older motherboard lying around, and figured I would upgrade an older pc. So I need a CPU that won't be slow on the system, but the main goal is to get something useful for as low cost as possible, it's only going to be used for emails and web browsing.

I've been looking at this CPU

fx6350 AM3+ (found cheap)

I see it's AM3+, and my motherboard is AM2+

Googling for a few days I come across alot of people's opinions and different ideas about it either working fine, it will explode or simply not work together.

What's your take on it?

MB is gigabyte GA-MA770-D83 GA-MA-770-DS3 AM2+ (old spare part -  never used)

Thank you for your time :)

Well my initial response would be..

Socket AM2+ is 940 pins

Socket AM3+ is 942 pins.

It won't even fit.. Surely?

From wikipedia:

AMD confirmed that there is an upgrade path from Socket AM2+ to AM3:

• processors work on AM2+ motherboards due to the presence of both the DDR2 and DDR3 memory controllers on the processor

But that refers to AM3 not AM3+

// Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 // AMD FX-8320 CPU @ 4.3 Ghz (7-21.5 Multiplier) 200.90mhz FSB CPU-Z Validated // Kraken X40 AIO - 2x140mm Push-Pull // 4GB Corsair Vengeance LP - 8GB Avexir Core Series Red 1760Mhz // Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro 1130mhz/4GB 1025mhz (Effective) GPU-Z Validation // Corsair SP2500 2.1 & Microlab Solo 9C Speakers // Corsair K90 Silver - Cherry MX Red & Blue LEDs // EVGA SuperNova 850w G2

afaih the sockets are physically compatible, but not electrically so no it wont work

apparenlty some motherboards are so called hybrids and can work with both CPUs as long as you have the correct ram for it (am2 was ddr2)

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

i think it will work you just loose the hypertransport 3.0. because of ddr2. And check the wattage requirement on your board for the cpu.

only am3 not am3+.

Specs: Cpu: i7-4790k@4.5ghz 1.19v Cooler: H100i Motherboard: Msi z97 g55 SLI  Ram: Kingston HyperX Black 16gb 1600mhz GPU: XFX R9 290X Core Edition PSU: Corsair HX850  Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Storage: Force series 3 120gb ssd, sandisk ultra 256gb ssd, 1tb blue drive  Keyboard: Rosewill RK9100x Mouse: DeathAdder  Monitors: 3 22 inch on a triple monitor mount

Are you sure the model is GA-MA770-D83 ?

also it's AM2+... It'd support up to AM3 but no AM3+

_ _ _

There's no such model in Gigabyte's website... maybe you referred to ga-ma770-ds3: can support up to Phenom II X4 970 (rev. 1) or Phenom II X6 1100T (rev.2)

Yes, It's the DS3 version. Sorry.

So AM3 is ok, but AM3+ won't work, correct?

For a cheap solution which cpu would be ok then?

Thank you all for your help so far also!  :lol:

Athlon II X3 460 AM3 CPU

This would work then? It's at a good price aswell.

Motherboard is Rev 1.0 sadly.

Thanks alot for your assistance. I will be going through the list and seeing what I can find. Currently it looks like a second hand X4 955 or a new X2 260 then.

Much appreciated :) Thanks alot everyone

Uhh, Didn't check that. Hmm, I guess this mobo won't be playing any part in this in the end. Thanks for the save DEcobra11 <3

I will come back when I've decided and see what you guys think for the final decision.

Much love to all of you!

Decided to just build a new system instead of throwing cash at older parts.

Salvaging the old computer for psu, hdd, cd drive and the case, putting in new mobo i3 cpu and ram for a total of $340 to get haswell and using onboard graphics.

Thanks once again, especially DEcobra11, for your expertise and time!