Issues with re-installing w10

Flux Azreal
Go to solution Solved by SupaKomputa,

Yes, try reinstalling without hooking the other drive, just to test my theory.

So, I decided to re-install windows, my method of re-installing is clearing a USB and downloading the .iso from Microsoft's official page and extracting the contents to the usb, and deleting all the partitions except for my external HDD, then installing windows on my main drive (SSD) everything installs flawlessly, untill i get to my desktop. I run into many issues, first of all somehow Microsoft Store knows the apps I "Purchased" like iTunes, adobe, SkyMap, etc without me signing in (keep in mind this is a totally offline account), I highly doughs it gets that information from my external drive (i only things i have in that drive are large games, videos, or other stuff).. Another issue is after a while (aprox 6 min) I lose the ability to type on windows search, like i can click it but when i type nothing happens, same goes for the settings, i just can't type anywhere except other programs like discord, chrome, and other. Theres also the other issue of it not letting me change profile picture of my offline account saying "Account picture error, Setting the account picture failed. Please try again."

My assumption is deleting the partitions doesn't delete everything and leaves some extra data messing with things... I've also tried to re-install windows again and the same exact issues occur

If anyone knows why exactly please tell me! Or tell me a proper way of re-installing a fresh version of windows, with all my files deleted and stuff, just as if i got it from a store. Thank you!

Edit: Another thing I noticed; there's only the things I installed on windows, theres no other pre-installed stuff like there usually is, maybe this could hint on whats going on?

screenshot.thumb.jpg.381eea96ca2a49e4070255d7fe69e1d9.jpg

Maybe after install windows searching for any exe files installed from all drives.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

1 minute ago, SupaKomputa said:

Maybe after install windows searching for any exe files installed from all drives.

Hmmm, i'm having issues understanding, I could try installing the drivers from my motherboard's page.

You probably have a corrupt installation, try reinstalling again.

Wipe everything on that SSD.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

4 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

Oh, I missread that, yeah theres probably all sorts of files on my external drive, like .exe .dlls etc, since it used to store games on it.

But i don't think there should be any on the one i'm installing (main ssd) since i deleted everything by deleting the partitions from the windows install menu thing.

4 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

You probably have a corrupt installation, try reinstalling again.

Wipe everything on that SSD.

I did extract using winrar, i'll try repeating my entire process. 

Windows will detect any apps on other drives as it scan through the system for the search catalogue.

So even if you're not installing on the boot drive it would still displaying the apps as installed.

1 minute ago, SupaKomputa said:

Windows will detect any apps on other drives as it scan through the system for the search catalogue.

So even if you're not installing on the boot drive it would still displaying the apps as installed.

Ahhh, very interesting. Thank you for telling me, that puts that thought to rest.

2 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

Yep, i'll do exactly that

1 hour ago, SupaKomputa said:

Update! Everything is up and running, thanks to your help everything is perfectly fine!  No more buggy windows, oh and the windows store still shows my previous apps, that must mean that the list is stored on their server and lists them based on ip? Well anyways, I can't thank you enough! 😊

6 hours ago, Flux Azreal said:

windows store still shows my previous apps

Probably because they track you from your activation code.