Upgrading my UPS....

mao91

So in 2015 I bought THIS UPS. It's served me pretty well for the last 5 years (I did have to replace the batteries this year), but it's time to upgrade. This time, I require sinewave power, not simulated sine, and I also have higher power requirements. Before, I was backing up:

PC, single LED lamp, single 23" 1080p monitor. 

Now, I'm backing up:

PC (avg 100w)
 single LED lamp (6.5W)
2x 23" 1080p monitor (30w total)
1x 43" 4K TV (monitor) (40w) 
2x Yamaha HS8 (240w total)
Interface rig (30w)
Modem & router (about 30w)

That's a total of ~476.5W (if I'm in the middle of a mixing session) that will need about 10min of runtime minimum during a power outage. 

So, keeping my current setup in mind (including my rack) and leaving room for future expansion/other stuff that may need that sweet sinewave backup, I'm looking at this

My question for the enterprise experienced: is this a decent bang for the buck unit? It looks like it to me, but tbh, when it comes to UPS technology I'm fairly ignorant. 

If what I'm posting has already been posted, I'm sorry.

https://www.amazon.ca/Tripp-Lite-SMART1500LCD-Digital-Line-Interactive/dp/B000DZRY9C/?tag=pricespiderco33-20

save a couple $ and get the same feature set, minus the 20A outlets which 99% of people won't use. 

they will both do the job, until you get into the $2000+ range nearly everything on the market is interchangeable. none of these will step into the features like separated charge and supply circuitry or hot swap battery changeover. most of the differences come from warranty/insurance payout and even then they are all upwards of $100k. 

The best gaming PC is the PC you like to game on, how you like to game on it

56 minutes ago, GhostRoadieBL said:

https://www.amazon.ca/Tripp-Lite-SMART1500LCD-Digital-Line-Interactive/dp/B000DZRY9C/?tag=pricespiderco33-20

save a couple $ and get the same feature set, minus the 20A outlets which 99% of people won't use. 

they will both do the job, until you get into the $2000+ range nearly everything on the market is interchangeable. none of these will step into the features like separated charge and supply circuitry or hot swap battery changeover. most of the differences come from warranty/insurance payout and even then they are all upwards of $100k. 

But yikes on 1500VA/900W. I want that 2000VA(or 2200VA)/1500W cap for extended runtime during outage. I have a 1500VA/900W now and I can tell you, if it WAS sinewave and I had everything hooked up to it, it would maybe give me 3 minutes of runtime during an outage. Advertised runtime numbers are based on fresh-off-the-line batteries, so they're always a lie.

Also for my needs, I can fairly easily use a 5-20 to standard outlet plug adapter, since my entire room does not pull 20A and I doubt the UPS itself does either.

Buuuuuuut for my needs even looking 5 years ahead, this thing I just drunk-bought should serve me fine and is within that 15A limit imposed my by shitty breakers. Ayyyy.

Conclusion: drunk buy was canceled and I got a CP1500PFCLCD (pure sine, 1500VA, 1000W w/ AVR). Saved a few hundred, same form factor as what I had, meets my needs, less robust but should work just fine. 

On 9/30/2020 at 5:42 AM, B.Toast said:

But yikes on 1500VA/900W. I want that 2000VA(or 2200VA)/1500W cap for extended runtime during outage.

Wait. Why do you think max output power relates to battery runtime in any way?

13 hours ago, B.Toast said:

Conclusion: drunk buy was canceled and I got a CP1500PFCLCD (pure sine, 1500VA, 1000W w/ AVR). Saved a few hundred, same form factor as what I had, meets my needs, less robust but should work just fine. 

That's what I have under my desk.  Performance is fine, but customer service is kind of garbage from my personal experience.

13 hours ago, OrionFOTL said:

Wait. Why do you think max output power relates to battery runtime in any way?

Headroom. I've usually seen a correlation between max wattage output and runtime capabilities, depending on if it's AVR, PFC, sinewave, etc. A 1000W max load will show you longer runtime at 400W than a 500W max load. Plus the batteries will typically last longer.

13 hours ago, PineyCreek said:

That's what I have under my desk.  Performance is fine, but customer service is kind of garbage from my personal experience.

Can I just get a UPS with cyberpower price-to-performance, APC reliability, and Newegg customer service?