I want to switch to Ubuntu, just a few questions.

As the title states, I am looking to switch to Ubuntu 13.10. I have a few questions about support, features and the like. I currently run a 4 monitor setup, not for surround gaming but general productivity. Will this work on Ubuntu? Will I get similar performance in the games that run on Ubuntu as I do in windows, considering there are no drivers to install? My final question, I think, Is about running a windows 7 virtual machine for games and applications that don't run on Ubuntu. I have been doing alot of research on Xen and "VGA pass through" to obtain accelerated graphics performance. Is there any particularly good guides or walk-throughs on setting it up? Thanks in advance, also any recommendations on software or applications would be much appreciated.    

I don't think Ubuntu supports Triple or Quad monitors natively, from what I have read, there is a lot of modifying system files, getting device ID's, and hours of tinkering to get the monitors the way you want them.

However, I could be wrong, since I never tried to run triple or quad monitors on Ubuntu. Thats just what I have read.  

Ultimate 900D Build - Build Log (In Progress) - TheTechGenius MODs

I don't think Ubuntu supports Triple or Quad monitors natively, from what I have read, there is a lot of modifying system files, getting device ID's, and hours of tinkering to get the monitors the way you want them.

However, I could be wrong, since I never tried to run triple or quad monitors on Ubuntu. Thats just what I have read.  

I haven't tried to run it myself, but there was an article a while ago that talked about how Linux supported a bajillion monitors at once in the kernel, but Nvidia locked it down to three so Linux wouldn't have an advantage over Windows.

To the OP, this may not be the simplest way to set things up, but it the most in-depth: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/multihead

According to the wiki page, "RandR" seems like the best option if you can't get things working just through the settings manager of your distro.

[spoiler=My Current PC]AMD FX-8320 @ 4.2 Ghz | Xigmatek Dark Knight Night Hawk II | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 | 8GB Adata XPG V2 Silver 1600 Mhz RAM | Gigabyte 3X Windforce GTX 770 4GB @ 1.27 Ghz/7.25 Ghz | Rosewill Hive 550W Bronze PSU | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Samsung Evo 250 GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | ASUS VS239H-P | Razer Deathadder 2013 Partlist

LTT Build-Off Thread: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35226-the-ltt-build-off-thread-no-building-required/

Ubuntu supports 2 monitors (did it before) but I believe that it can handle three.

Try dual-booting between the two operating systems for about a month or two to get the feel of how it works, where everything is placed, and getting yourself comfortable before fully switching over.

Ubuntu 14.04 is right around the corner, the release date is April 17. I would suggest installing the daily build of 14.04 instead of 13.10, as it includes a lot of new improvements and the build is much faster and smoother. As for gaming, I wouldn't count on a virtual machine giving you the best performance. The WINE project is the place to turn to, I personally would check the WINE application database for the games that you commonly play to see if they are supported. Since 12.04 Ubuntu has supported up to 6 monitors. As for running Windows applications, that is where a Virtual Machine may help. Tho if you list the applications you use daily we can help you find the equivalent or similar alternatives for Linux.

... I have been doing alot of research on Xen and "VGA pass through" to obtain accelerated graphics performance. Is there any particularly good guides or walk-throughs on setting it up? Thanks in advance, also any recommendations on software or applications would be much appreciated.    

Yes

http://www.overclock.net/t/1205216/guide-create-a-gaming-virtual-machine

This is a similar setup using KVM instead of Xen, which I recommend.

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=162768

As the title states, I am looking to switch to Ubuntu 13.10. I have a few questions about support, features and the like. I currently run a 4 monitor setup, not for surround gaming but general productivity. Will this work on Ubuntu? Will I get similar performance in the games that run on Ubuntu as I do in windows, considering there are no drivers to install? My final question, I think, Is about running a windows 7 virtual machine for games and applications that don't run on Ubuntu. I have been doing alot of research on Xen and "VGA pass through" to obtain accelerated graphics performance. Is there any particularly good guides or walk-throughs on setting it up? Thanks in advance, also any recommendations on software or applications would be much appreciated.

If you are using nvidia or AMD graphics you will need to install drivers, only open source drivers are packaged with the kernel.

Though if you do install the proprietary drivers you will get support programs to set up the dual heads easily (amds catalyst provides catalyst control centre)

Alternatively, there are other programs that will give a front end to xrandr (arandr for example) that should let you easily set up dual heads too.

I've had 3 screens running fine on AMD graphics, providing you install the proprietary drivers nothing changes. I currently run arch linux with 3 heads.

Arch Linux on Samsung 840 EVO 120GB: Startup finished in 1.334s (kernel) + 224ms (userspace) = 1.559s | U mad windoze..?

The guy who said you need to tweak with system files is a moron, don't listen to him. If you could start by saying what your system specifications are I can get an indication of what kind of advice to give. AMD and nVidia handle their multi-monitor support differently and there are some things you need to know.

Your calling someone a moron, when the person clearly states "He might be wrong, its just what he had read", and before you posted, he apologized. It takes a real person to admit when he or she is wrong. Why would you even start name calling with something this small anyway? How old are you, because it seems like you are very young, or young minded.

So who is the moron here? I would think it would be the person that doesn't read before he posts.

As for the term "Moron", you really don't want to go there buddy.

Ultimate 900D Build - Build Log (In Progress) - TheTechGenius MODs

You should not be expecting to play games on Linux, its not that it can't handle it, it's because it's not made for gaming. If you are a gamer stick to windows or dual boot. Personally I have 4 OS s because I use each of them for their advantages.

The guy who said you need to tweak with system files is a moron, don't listen to him. If you could start by saying what your system specifications are I can get an indication of what kind of advice to give. AMD and nVidia handle their multi-monitor support differently and there are some things you need to know.

i7 3770k

GTX 680

Gigabyte G1 sniper m3

Thats probaly all that matters I would imagine, but the usual, ssd boot drive, 16gb ram, ect. 

You should not be expecting to play games on Linux, its not that it can't handle it, it's because it's not made for gaming. If you are a gamer stick to windows or dual boot. Personally I have 4 OS s because I use each of them for their advantages.

I really have not been playing games lately due to school, but I am going to college for computer engineering and I wanted to get my hands dirty with Linux a little bit. I fully understand that gaming is not there yet on Linux, Rust is the only steam game I own that even is supported on it lol.  

i7 3770k

GTX 680

Gigabyte G1 sniper m3

Thats probaly all that matters I would imagine, but the usual, ssd boot drive, 16gb ram, ect. 

I really have not been playing games lately due to school, but I am going to college for computer engineering and I wanted to get my hands dirty with Linux a little bit. I fully understand that gaming is not there yet on Linux, Rust is the only steam game I own that even is supported on it lol.  

If you want to just toy with Linux then I would recommend just installing it into a Virtual Machine. Both VirtualBox and Linux is free and open source, so you have nothing to lose.

Make sure your CPU has such virtualization options :) VT-d. In addition to this it depends on what you are using your computer for. 

I have been using Linux on a laptop for more then 5 years, but depending on what you want to do Linux may just suck for you. 

It shouldn't be an issue. I'd recommend running the latest stable release, so 13.10. Your hardware should work fine and if you aren't sure then I'd recommend running via a LiveUSB/CD. Your graphics won't be an issue so all the other problems will come from your motherboard... which will most likely be the NIC or Audio.

Games should be fine. Rust, from what I've heard, runs well and if you have any source engine games those will run as well. Wait for a sale and buy the Half-Life Complete Pack or something and enjoy the great games.

I also should have mentioned I am using an asus sound card, so Im guessing I am going to loose that functionality right?

Make sure your CPU has such virtualization options :) VT-d. In addition to this it depends on what you are using your computer for. 

I have been using Linux on a laptop for more then 5 years, but depending on what you want to do Linux may just suck for you. 

I dont really find myself playing games anymore, I am trying to focus on my college studies. I figured I might as well learn Linux now because I figured it can only help me down the line in my career (Computer hardware engineering)

I also should have mentioned I am using an asus sound card, so Im guessing I am going to loose that functionality right?

I dont really find myself playing games anymore, I am trying to focus on my college studies. I figured I might as well learn Linux now because I figured it can only help me down the line in my career (Computer hardware engineering)

Well my advice for you would be, run Ubuntu in a virtual machine for 1-2 months and try to do all the work you need inside it, if you can do that then yeah go for the switch. It's pointless to install Ubuntu and do all your work inside a Windows virtual machine :)

The huge disadvantage that Linux has is in the software department & some key hardware features (nVidia Optimus).

In my personal experience Linux is good as a main OS but only in certain scenarios, I have a dedicated laptop where I use Linux but it only has 1 purpose for which Linux is needed. My day to day work gets done on OSX & Windows and if you ever thought about using LibreOffice or OpenOffice to write stuff, I can tell you now it's a real pain and ugly. 

Try Linux for a while and try editing some scripts. After that, pick up a couple books to understand the kernel and get underneath the hood. From there you can move into more advanced distros like FreeBSD. I started learning Linux by playing around with Raspberry Pis and learning Raspbian. I'm still a huge newb but Ubuntu is a great start.

Well my advice for you would be, run Ubuntu in a virtual machine for 1-2 months and try to do all the work you need inside it, if you can do that then yeah go for the switch. It's pointless to install Ubuntu and do all your work inside a Windows virtual machine :)

The huge disadvantage that Linux has is in the software department & some key hardware features (nVidia Optimus).

In my personal experience Linux is good as a main OS but only in certain scenarios, I have a dedicated laptop where I use Linux but it only has 1 purpose for which Linux is needed. My day to day work gets done on OSX & Windows and if you ever thought about using LibreOffice or OpenOffice to write stuff, I can tell you now it's a real pain and ugly.

Don't even say that to me man. I just built a Linux box strictly for writing papers if my main system went down. That sucks. :/