Laptop cpu throttling below 0.5 ghz

ishapli8

I have an hp pavilion 15 inch with an i7 8550u and when I'm using it it randomly throttles to below 0.5 ghz for no reason. I'll be watching a YouTube video and it will get really choppy and start buffering and when it does this in task manager says the clock speed is like 0.39 ghz. The thermals are fine its like 55 degrees. The base speed is 2.0 ghz and when it isn't throttling really bad it hovers at like 1.75 ghz which is still lower than it should be. Sometimes it's just fine and at like 2.5 to 3.5 ghz.

eo0J744.png

When properly setup, the 8550U is a great CPU. Learn how to use ThrottleStop 9.2 and you can run your 8550U at whatever speed you like. The latest version allows you to access the hidden Windows High Performance power plan which will keep your CPU from running like a slug. 

There is no reason to slow down modern CPUs. Some manufacturers still think this is a good way to save power when often times, it does the opposite. A slow CPU is an inefficient CPU. You have a fast laptop. Might as well set it up to run like one. No penalty in terms of idle power consumption or CPU temps when comparing fast vs slow.

A fast CPU gets the background tasks finished quickly so it will spend less time in the active C0 state processing. This allows it to spend more time in the low power C7 state. In this state, it is disconnected from the internal clock and disconnected from the voltage rail so the CPU core is running at 0 MHz and 0 volts. That is how to save power.

0oJvXoC.png

10 hours ago, unclewebb said:

eo0J744.png

When properly setup, the 8550U is a great CPU. Learn how to use ThrottleStop 9.2 and you can run your 8550U at whatever speed you like. The latest version allows you to access the hidden Windows High Performance power plan which will keep your CPU from running like a slug. 

There is no reason to slow down modern CPUs. Some manufacturers still think this is a good way to save power when often times, it does the opposite. A slow CPU is an inefficient CPU. You have a fast laptop. Might as well set it up to run like one. No penalty in terms of idle power consumption or CPU temps when comparing fast vs slow.

A fast CPU gets the background tasks finished quickly so it will spend less time in the active C0 state processing. This allows it to spend more time in the low power C7 state. In this state, it is disconnected from the internal clock and disconnected from the voltage rail so the CPU core is running at 0 MHz and 0 volts. That is how to save power.

0oJvXoC.png

I already undervolted and turned the power limit up on throttlestop.  It didn't used to never go below like 2.5 ghz even whithout throttlestop but something happened and now it does. It does the exact same thing with throttlestop on or off.

@ishapli8 If you look at my screenshot above, when idle, the 8550U is using multipliers between 37 and 40. The 40 multiplier is being used when 1 or 2 cores are active and the 37 multiplier is being used when 3 or 4 cores are active. These are the default multipliers for this CPU.

Are you having this problem when plugged in or when running on battery power? What Windows power plan are you using? Did you try using ThrottleStop to switch to the Windows High Performance power plan? Is Speed Shift enabled (SST in green) and is the Speed Shift EPP option checked and set to 0? This is what controls your CPU speed when lightly loaded. 

Post some screenshots of how you have ThrottleStop setup. The main screen, the TPL screen and the FIVR screen.

22 hours ago, ishapli8 said:

There's nothing wrong probably.

The windows performance monitor is just lying to you is all. 

That cpu will only idle down to 800mhz. Use a different monitoring software for accuracy.

9 hours ago, ShrimpBrime said:

That cpu will only idle down to 800mhz.

It is a low power U series CPU. Their minimum multiplier is 4 so they can go down to 400 MHz.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/CPU-stuck-at-400MHz-HP-Probook-470-G5/td-p/7165677

Edit - Originally thought the minimum multiplier was 5 but CPU-Z shows the minimum multiplier is 4.

7 hours ago, unclewebb said:

It is a low power U series CPU. Their minimum multiplier is 4 so they can go down to 400 MHz.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/CPU-stuck-at-400MHz-HP-Probook-470-G5/td-p/7165677

Edit - Originally thought the minimum multiplier was 5 but CPU-Z shows the minimum multiplier is 4.

That would be odd when the Intel sight says 800mhz configurable down clock.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/122589/intel-core-i7-8550u-processor-8m-cache-up-to-4-00-ghz.html

This is what I went with for information. What they set the bios on the laptop to do I guess differs.

On 9/27/2020 at 7:39 AM, ShrimpBrime said:

800mhz configurable down clock

The 800 MHz spec is when the CPU enters configurable TDP-down mode. 

The 8550U has the ability to go down to 400 MHz. If Speed Shift Technology is enabled, the speed the CPU runs at depends on how the Windows power plan and the BIOS have setup the Speed Shift variables. The Lenovo laptop I tested caps the minimum to 900 MHz. Less than this can make for a miserable user experience. 

Using ThrottleStop to adjust the Speed Shift Min and Max variables can give a user a lot of control over how these CPUs operate. If these variables are not set correctly, you can end up with a situation where even with a significant load on the CPU, it can still be stuck at 400 MHz.

sGBkisF.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/28/2020 at 1:16 PM, unclewebb said:

The 800 MHz spec is when the CPU enters configurable TDP-down mode. 

The 8550U has the ability to go down to 400 MHz. If Speed Shift Technology is enabled, the speed the CPU runs at depends on how the Windows power plan and the BIOS have setup the Speed Shift variables. The Lenovo laptop I tested caps the minimum to 900 MHz. Less than this can make for a miserable user experience. 

Using ThrottleStop to adjust the Speed Shift Min and Max variables can give a user a lot of control over how these CPUs operate. If these variables are not set correctly, you can end up with a situation where even with a significant load on the CPU, it can still be stuck at 400 MHz.

sGBkisF.png

There is something wrong with it because no matter what I do on throttle stop or intel xtu nothing changes and it still does this. It never used to go below 2 ghz but now it stays at like 1.5 ghz or lower most of the time so idk what happened. If I turn off bd prochot it doesn't throttle super low anymore but it still is below the base clock and at like 1.5 ghz. It never used to do this and I didn't change anything when it started.

@ishapli8 If you want to try to solve this problem, post a screenshot of the main ThrottleStop window, the FIVR window and the TPL window. When your CPU is throttling, post a picture of ThrottleStop with the Limit Reasons window open. CPUs always throttle for a reason.

18 hours ago, unclewebb said:

@ishapli8 If you want to try to solve this problem, post a screenshot of the main ThrottleStop window, the FIVR window and the TPL window. When your CPU is throttling, post a picture of ThrottleStop with the Limit Reasons window open. CPUs always throttle for a reason.

Throtlestop TPL.PNG

Throttlestop FIVR.PNG

Also is there a way to get rid of the 15 wat power limit casue I want to turn it up to like 20 or 25.

46 minutes ago, ishapli8 said:

is there a way to get rid of the 15 wat power limit

The HP Pavilion is locked down as far as I know. HP usually enforces the long term turbo power limit equal to the TDP which is 15W. You will not be able to use software to go beyond this 15W limit.

There is no need to set the turbo time limit to 3+ million seconds. Set this back to 28 seconds. The PP0 Turbo Time Limit is not used so the slider can be dragged all the way to the left (0.0010s). This CPU cannot be overclocked so you can leave the turbo ratios at their default values; 40, 40, 37, 37. Your CPU is using Speed Shift Technology so do not check the Set Multiplier option. Set Multiplier does not do anything when SST is enabled. I have not seen any recent laptops using Clock Modulation throttling so no need to check the Clock Mod box and no need to check the Non Turbo Ratio Lock option.

What does ThrottleStop report for C0% when your computer is idle at the desktop with only ThrottleStop open? Your screenshot shows you were either busy working on something or else you have a lot of junk running in the background. Here is my 8550U for comparison.

https://i.imgur.com/vJELCMp.png

If your idle C0% is way higher, open the Task Manager, go to the Details tab and try to find out what is running on your computer. You can also try using the Resource Monitor. These are low power CPUs and you have locked power limits so you need to keep an eye on useless background tasks.

Have you tried checking the High Performance box? This will switch to the Windows High Performance power profile. Switch back to Balanced if this does not help.

Have you tried setting the Speed Shift Min and Max variables both to 40?

I feel like you have made a lot of progress already. Now that your laptop is not being forced down to 400 MHz, your YouTube videos should play smoother.

It is much better now and I was in a google meet for school and had a bunch of tabs open so that's what was running in the background. Thank you for helping and turning speed shift min up to 40 helped a lot.