Removing hard thermal paste

daquanwizard

I started to noticed that my computer was getting pretty loud even tho it was at idle. So I went to check my temps and it was in the low 80s and any time I did anything it would be low 90s and 100 under more intense loads. Since I hadn't put new thermal paste in 4-5 years I figured that was it. When I went to remove the aio the block was really tight onto the cpu. I had to do some light twists I was able to peel it off but there lies the hard thermal paste underneath. I tried to get it off with some alcoholic wipes that came with my thermal paste with no avail. I've tried to do it right away so the cpu would have been as hot as possible but that still has worked. I won't get the 90% rubbing alcohol until Friday and even then I'm not sure how much that well help. Am I sol or is there something I can do until Friday? As someone who has cut the cord I basically only have my phone left and it's pretty maddening I can't do anything for 3 days. Thanks for any suggestions!

PXL_20200923_204938165.jpg

Scraping the IHS with a plastic implement would work, got a plastic fork?

Plastic is a lot softer than the nickel plating on the CPU so it won't cause damage.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

It looks baked like carbon in a pot.

You could always got get some 70% alchool at a drug store or a Walmart, put a thin layer in a plate, put it face down in the plate (make sure the alcool doesn't get under le heat spreader) and let it soak for a minute then wipe gently and repeat.

Spoiler

CPU Ryzen 5900X - Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX X570-E - RAM 16GB of G.SKILL NEON 3600 -
GPU EVGA RTX 3080 XC3 - Case Mastercase H500p mesh - PSU Seasonic Focus Gx-850 -
Corsair MP600 NVME 1 Tb, Samsung 960 PRO 500 Gb & 2 Seagate Baracuda 7200 RPM 2TB in stripe -
Display two VG27AQ 2K monitor - Cooling Corsair H150 Pro - 

Keyboard G-910 W/ Romer G tactile - Mouse G 502 Hero (wired) -
Sound Logitech X-530 and Razer Tiamat headphones

Operating System Windows 10

u can also use a plastic card to scrape the top

but make sure you dont knock off anything on the bottom of the CPU while doing it.

or scratch the gold pads

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

After 4 hours of scraping with a gift card while alternating between heat and 99% alcohol this is where I'm at. Feels like it's gonna take another 5 hours

PXL_20200925_185508343.jpg