Windows user in a Mac based office

DieselWeasel

Hi guys, 

I want to know if somebody here has any experience with working in a mixed OS office. I work as a video editor for a video production company with all MAC systems and I have an opportunity to upgrade my workstation and I am wondering if there would be any problems regarding workflow that I'm not aware. I was given a macbook pro when I started out, but now I can make a free choice, but I don't want to have too much trouble.

I'm already aware that some programs that we are using don't offer the same options on both systems and I would have to work around that somehow (Adobe suite + DaVinci). I also won't have AirDrop that comes in handy sometimes, but it doesn't always work anyway :D. I would also have to get some software that reads Apple formated media... 

Also has anyone heard any rumors about Apple updating their lineup with the AMDs new GPUs? I'd hate to see an update right as I get my new computer (Same happened with my 2018 macbook :D)

CPU: 2x Xeon E5 2670 Motherboard: ASRock EP2C602-4L/D16,  RAM: 64GB of 1333 MHz mermory from Samsung (ECC),  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1070,  Case: NZXT Switch 810, Storage: Samsug EVO 250GB and 500GB, 3x3 TB and 1x1TB  HDD  PSU: Corsair RM 850,  Mouse: Logitech MX Master 2s,  Headset: Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO black edition (80 ohm), OS: UnRaid with two VMs and Plex 

6 minutes ago, DieselWeasel said:

Hi guys, 

I want to know if somebody here has any experience with working in a mixed OS office. I work as a video editor for a video production company with all MAC systems and I have an opportunity to upgrade my workstation and I am wondering if there would be any problems regarding workflow that I'm not aware. I was given a macbook pro when I started out, but now I can make a free choice, but I don't want to have too much trouble.

I'm already aware that some programs that we are using don't offer the same options on both systems and I would have to work around that somehow (Adobe suite + DaVinci). I also won't have AirDrop that comes in handy sometimes, but it doesn't always work anyway :D. I would also have to get some software that reads Apple formated media... 

Also has anyone heard any rumors about Apple updating their lineup with the AMDs new GPUs? I'd hate to see an update right as I get my new computer (Same happened with my 2018 macbook :D)

Davinci and adobe are as good as identical between mac and windows normally so there shouldn't be any issues.

Apple is going arm hardcore so I have no clue what is going to happen with the gpu front. I'd say if you buy a intel macbook in 2020 just look at what happened to powerpc. Abandoned in 2-3 years.

38 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Davinci and adobe are as good as identical between mac and windows normally so there shouldn't be any issues.

Apple is going arm hardcore so I have no clue what is going to happen with the gpu front. I'd say if you buy a intel macbook in 2020 just look at what happened to powerpc. Abandoned in 2-3 years.

I've just heard DaVinci doesn't export ProRes on Windows or something? - I'll have to look into it more closely now. I know Premiere got ProRes on Windows in CC19 or maybe 20, but has AE gotten it too? 

Yeah, I don't know what is going to happen with the ARM thing... they are confident that they can make it work, but when I watched that conference where they announced it and they said that the programmes can be re-compiled (if that's the right term) at installation and perform just as good if not better I had a big question mark above my head :D It seems very unlikely to me that they will be able to bring the top tier performance with their ARM processors - in comparison with what they have in the lineup now. with intel processors and AMD graphics. If designing top tier processors would be so easy, a lot more companies would be in the game instead of just Intel, AMD and Nvidia (just remember the Intel GPUs from a few years ago) :D 

EDIT: The ARM cpus might be a great thing for lower end systems though. Most people don't need this kind of performance and apple finally won't be limited by the 60-90W power limit they set for their portable devices

On the Apple side I'm looking to get either full spec 16" macbook pro (which is arguably the best portable editing machine - I also edit on set sometimes and make backups of the files ) or the new iMAC that seem quite reasonably prices for what you are getting (All that is missing I think is a more powerful GPU - that is why I think it would be great to wait if they plan on releasing an update with the new gpus )

CPU: 2x Xeon E5 2670 Motherboard: ASRock EP2C602-4L/D16,  RAM: 64GB of 1333 MHz mermory from Samsung (ECC),  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1070,  Case: NZXT Switch 810, Storage: Samsug EVO 250GB and 500GB, 3x3 TB and 1x1TB  HDD  PSU: Corsair RM 850,  Mouse: Logitech MX Master 2s,  Headset: Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO black edition (80 ohm), OS: UnRaid with two VMs and Plex 

1 minute ago, DieselWeasel said:

I've just heard DaVinci doesn't export ProRes on Windows or something? - I'll have to look into it more closely now. I know Premiere got ProRes on Windows in CC19 or maybe 20, but has AE gotten it too? 

Yeah, I don't know what is going to happen with the ARM thing... they are confident that they can make it work, but when I watched that conference where they announced it and they said that the programmes can be re-compiled (if that's the right term) at installation and perform just as good if not better I had a big question mark above my head :D It seems very unlikely to me that they will be able to bring the top tier performance with their ARM processors - in comparison with what they have in the lineup now. with intel processors and AMD graphics. If designing top tier processors would be so easy, a lot more companies would be in the game instead of just Intel, AMD and Nvidia (just remember the Intel GPUs from a few years ago) :D 

On the Apple side I'm looking to get either full spec 16" macbook pro (which is arguably the best portable editing machine - I also edit on set sometimes and make backups of the files ) or the new iMAC that seem quite reasonably prices for what you are getting (All that is missing I think is a more powerful GPU - that is why I think it would be great to wait if they plan on releasing an update with the new gpus )

Davinci for windows does indeed not support exporting to prores because apple refuses to give them a license for it. So people just export the project and let ffmpeg encode it to prores. This has been the workaround for any program not having it.

On the windows side intel has nothing to compete with a 4800h (part from their massive powerhungry 8core that is only faster when it those thicc boi gaming laptops might as well just get the clevo ryzen desktop cpu laptop then as it's usually lighter than those laptops and performs better :p). Sucks that apple isn't going amd.

5 hours ago, jaslion said:

Davinci for windows does indeed not support exporting to prores because apple refuses to give them a license for it. So people just export the project and let ffmpeg encode it to prores. This has been the workaround for any program not having it.

On the windows side intel has nothing to compete with a 4800h (part from their massive powerhungry 8core that is only faster when it those thicc boi gaming laptops might as well just get the clevo ryzen desktop cpu laptop then as it's usually lighter than those laptops and performs better :p). Sucks that apple isn't going amd.

I just googled what ffmpeg is and what it actually does and ... F*** that. I'm not going to transcode files every time. It's true that I'm only using Davici for grading (still learning) and not delivery - meaning there are not that many different outputs, but it's too much work. Are you an editor/colorist yourself and use this workaround?

Honestly I wouldn't even consider buying "thicc boi gaming laptops". Maybe something like the Dell XPS or something, but then it's again easier to just go with a macbook... I'll have to do some more research to decide. Right now it looks like I'll be stuck under the apple box a bit longer. Even though I hate "paying" so much money for mediocre performance.

15 hours ago, DieselWeasel said:

I just googled what ffmpeg is and what it actually does and ... F*** that. I'm not going to transcode files every time. It's true that I'm only using Davici for grading (still learning) and not delivery - meaning there are not that many different outputs, but it's too much work. Are you an editor/colorist yourself and use this workaround?

Honestly I wouldn't even consider buying "thicc boi gaming laptops". Maybe something like the Dell XPS or something, but then it's again easier to just go with a macbook... I'll have to do some more research to decide. Right now it looks like I'll be stuck under the apple box a bit longer. Even though I hate "paying" so much money for mediocre performance.

The xmg core 15 amd version is only a little heavier than the xps but avoids that laptops massive downfall of overheating so much you might as well get the cheaper one as the performance is the same due to shit cooling.

I don't deliver in prores for the little editing things I do. Almost nobody uses it or can play it back so I don't bother with it.

13 hours ago, jaslion said:

The xmg core 15 amd version is only a little heavier than the xps but avoids that laptops massive downfall of overheating so much you might as well get the cheaper one as the performance is the same due to shit cooling.

I don't deliver in prores for the little editing things I do. Almost nobody uses it or can play it back so I don't bother with it.

I would absolutely need at least two if not more thunderbolt connections on the laptop - because there are a lot of thunderbolt devices that I might need on set. That is why the only possible solution would be the XPS. I've looked at some of the AMD laptops and while they have better performance at a much lower price, they do not offer some of the premium features and build quality (presumably).

I think this is the best deal I can pitch to my boss:

Unknown.thumb.png.b2a1c1eb1c2b70cf1b32944822bc3f27.png

It's about 1k more expensive than the 16" macbook that we were looking at, but this laptop should offer comparable performance (if not even better because of the GPU) and the PC is pretty much the best editing rig you can get. (apart from the 3090 i couldn't fit into the budget because of the laptop :D)

What do you think. I'm still sceptical of the workflow of some things and some things not being compatibe, but I think this is how I could make it work. 

The xps 15 is well a pretty shit laptop for video production as well it overheats beyond belief. You should really look into basically any other laptop. It's built to barely cool a quad core cpu let alone a 6 or 8 core. It overheats so bad that the performance can be so bad on the 8 core there is barely a difference between it and the lower end quad core model.

Now for the desktop.

1. 200€ for a psu? Why? You can get far cheaper and not experience any difference what so ever. It's only a 3080 and 3900x that needs to be powered any decent 750w psu is plenty

2. Wrong motherboard that is a threadripper board not a am4 board. Get a msi tomahawk b550 really good am4 board without breaking the bank.

3. Even for video editing a pcie 4.0 ssd is not needed at all. A sx8200 is plenty and allows you to get a bigger size

4. Case is meh at best. At best ok airflow. A front mesh case will be far better for airflow and temperature thus leading to the computer being more silent overall. Lian li just released their lancool 215. Big slow spinning fans moving a lot of air whilst being whisper quiet (of course the rgb can be turned off too)

What speed is the ram running at btw?

9 hours ago, jaslion said:

The xps 15 is well a pretty shit laptop for video production as well it overheats beyond belief. You should really look into basically any other laptop. It's built to barely cool a quad core cpu let alone a 6 or 8 core. It overheats so bad that the performance can be so bad on the 8 core there is barely a difference between it and the lower end quad core model.

Now for the desktop.

1. 200€ for a psu? Why? You can get far cheaper and not experience any difference what so ever. It's only a 3080 and 3900x that needs to be powered any decent 750w psu is plenty

2. Wrong motherboard that is a threadripper board not a am4 board. Get a msi tomahawk b550 really good am4 board without breaking the bank.

3. Even for video editing a pcie 4.0 ssd is not needed at all. A sx8200 is plenty and allows you to get a bigger size

4. Case is meh at best. At best ok airflow. A front mesh case will be far better for airflow and temperature thus leading to the computer being more silent overall. Lian li just released their lancool 215. Big slow spinning fans moving a lot of air whilst being whisper quiet (of course the rgb can be turned off too)

What speed is the ram running at btw?

I like buying a quality PSU and I'm not going to skimp on that part in a 3000eur build. I still have to check it against the PSU list on the forum though. I might lower it down to a 1000w now that the 3090 in out of the picture.

You are right about the motherboard. I was looking at the x570 version on the partpicker, but put the threadripper one in the  basket... I need thunderbolt and 10gbs - B series motherboards don't have that. 

Yes I don't need the extra speed of 4.0, but I also don't need more than 2TB

I agree with you on the case - the bigger fans would be quieter, but the lian-li you mentioned is not available. I look a bit more into it. I just went with something I knew and liked.

RAM is at 3600MHz

5 hours ago, DieselWeasel said:

I like buying a quality PSU and I'm not going to skimp on that part in a 3000eur build. I still have to check it against the PSU list on the forum though. I might lower it down to a 1000w now that the 3090 in out of the picture.

You are right about the motherboard. I was looking at the x570 version on the partpicker, but put the threadripper one in the  basket... I need thunderbolt and 10gbs - B series motherboards don't have that. 

Yes I don't need the extra speed of 4.0, but I also don't need more than 2TB

I agree with you on the case - the bigger fans would be quieter, but the lian-li you mentioned is not available. I look a bit more into it. I just went with something I knew and liked.

RAM is at 3600MHz

I'll make you a pcpartpicker list which you can freely edit of course but that would be a good guideline. Overspending on the psu and getting too much wattage actually hurts efficiency and makes the psu consume more power. It's always best to just properly balance it out. That and the psu becomes way bigger the more wattage which in a lot of cases causes issues with clearance.

Here is a good list. Do make sure to check if the motherboard already comes with the needed stuff for thunderbolt or not as some have a needed add in card that is not always included.

For the cooler I chose the fuma 2 is as good if not better than the dark rock pro 4 whilst being more silent. If you want even more quiet the ninja 5 exists and it's performs about 1c worse.

Case seems cheap but is excellent. It just doesn't have fans/the included single one is meh. Thus I included the arctic p14's to replace the fan and put in front. The 5 pack is cheaper than getting 3 of them. You can also get the p12's if you want more fans in the case that are a little smaller. The f14's and f12's are also totally an option. The difference between them are that the p series is for focused airflow and the f is for unfocused airflow (just throwing air around in a direction wherever compared the the p that focused air in a single focused direction).

Sure you could get noctua's but these have identical noise and cooling performance as them for the price of 1.