Revive a dead harddisk

Recently I was working on my laptop and noticed a "pic pic" sounds from harddrive

After few seconds it just hanged, and now it is showing me this.

And some time it shows to install a drive with operating system

IMG_20200923_143712.jpg

9 minutes ago, Pratham Bhatnagar said:

Recently I was working on my laptop and noticed a "pic pic" sounds from harddrive

After few seconds it just hanged, and now it is showing me this.

And some time it shows to install a drive with operating system

IMG_20200923_143712.jpg

It's done for. Get the data off it and then destroy it.

As above, if it's making odd sounds, it's likely failing mechanically. If you're really lucky, maybe there's just a bad sector it is constantly trying to read, and the drive could be fixed by scanning and fixing the sector or marking it bad. You could download and run the diagnostic tools from the website of your hard drive manufacturer and/or try some SMART monitoring tools to help diagnose the issue. But most likely the drive needs to be replaced. If you must get important data off the drive first, and you're unable to, you could try a commercial product like Spinrite. I don't know of any free alternatives.

1 hour ago, Mystical Kimchi said:

As above, if it's making odd sounds, it's likely failing mechanically. If you're really lucky, maybe there's just a bad sector it is constantly trying to read, and the drive could be fixed by scanning and fixing the sector or marking it bad. You could download and run the diagnostic tools from the website of your hard drive manufacturer and/or try some SMART monitoring tools to help diagnose the issue. But most likely the drive needs to be replaced. If you must get important data off the drive first, and you're unable to, you could try a commercial product like Spinrite. I don't know of any free alternatives.

Harddrive don't make sound all the time most of the time it is quite.

I just remembered that 3 days ago I turned on bitlocker on one of my partition,

But when I turned it off it was doing some kind of decrypting which was taking lot of time so i just cancelled it however bitlocker is off.

I am using that partition without any encrypting but when browsing folders and copy data from it explorer Stops responding.

Is it harddrive or I messed something with bitlocker

The click of death... An old school trick (only had it work a few times back in the shop as a last ditch effort) was to wrap it in antistatic bag and toss in the freezer for an hour or so... then immediately try to get data off it. Honestly probably not worth your time and the risk of further damage because of condensation is there. If you have important data on it, I'd advise checking out a professional data recovery option, which can get spendy. Software solutions most likely won't help if it is "click of death" because it is mechanical issue. 

16 hours ago, Pratham Bhatnagar said:

Harddrive don't make sound all the time most of the time it is quite.

I just remembered that 3 days ago I turned on bitlocker on one of my partition,

But when I turned it off it was doing some kind of decrypting which was taking lot of time so i just cancelled it however bitlocker is off.

I am using that partition without any encrypting but when browsing folders and copy data from it explorer Stops responding.

Is it harddrive or I messed something with bitlocker

Honestly I have no experience with bitlocker since I don't use Windows much these days. I suppose it's possible that the decryption process didn't complete, and so some of the data is still encrypted. If it were my computer, and that happened to me, then I'd probably try turning bitlocker back on, then turn it off again so that I could ensure that the decryption process completed.

Okay, I found this on Microsoft's website:

What happens if the computer is turned off during encryption or decryption?

The BitLocker encryption and decryption processes can be interrupted by turning the computer off, and it will resume where it left off the next time Windows starts. This is true even if the power is suddenly unavailable.

So it would seem that, if bitlocker is working correctly, it probably resumed after your next reboot.

So again I'd suggest downloading and running a diagnostic tool to check the drive. Or even try running the checkdisk utility that comes with Windows. I'll even provide links to the download pages for utilities from the two most common brands of hard drives:

https://support.wdc.com/downloads.aspx?p=171&lang=en

https://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/

On 9/24/2020 at 11:40 AM, Mystical Kimchi said:

Okay, I found this on Microsoft's website:

So it would seem that, if bitlocker is working correctly, it probably resumed after your next reboot.

So again I'd suggest downloading and running a diagnostic tool to check the drive. Or even try running the checkdisk utility that comes with Windows. I'll even provide links to the download pages for utilities from the two most common brands of hard drives:

https://support.wdc.com/downloads.aspx?p=171&lang=en

https://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/

Thank you for all your support, my hard drive passed today however I did successfully pulled out data before it died 😂😂😂 I am happy.