Can I still use a system using freeNAS?

I was wondering if I could still use the system with freeNAS running on the hard drives while the os is on an ssd. I only ask this because I was already transferring my old gaming system to the computer so throwing a graphics card and using it as a mining rig as well would be nice.

My System Specs: (Short list) i7 4770k, GTX 780, many SSD's, a 2 TB HDD(deceased :( ), Corsair 650D. Full list: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/kchriz6097/saved/8dh7YJ

Upgrade Plan: Acquire some Black Noctuas then add 16 or 32GB of 2133MHz memory

I may not be understanding what you mean. 

Do you mean "Can I use my FreeNAS system as a mining Rig as well?" to which I assume the answer is no. FreeNAS has Jails which are basically Virtual Machines, so I could be wrong, but getting it to work correctly could be well beyond most people's knowledge unless someone has already done it (I doubt it personally). 

Also, don't install FreeNAS on an SSD. Install it on a USB (8GB is fine, more is a waste) and just roll with that. Use the SSD as Cache (L2ARC).

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

I may not be understanding what you mean. 

Do you mean "Can I use my FreeNAS system as a mining Rig as well?" to which I assume the answer is no. FreeNAS has Jails which are basically Virtual Machines, so I could be wrong, but getting it to work correctly could be well beyond most people's knowledge unless someone has already done it (I doubt it personally). 

Also, don't install FreeNAS on an SSD. Install it on a USB (8GB is fine, more is a waste) and just roll with that. Use the SSD as Cache (L2ARC).

To clarify, I was planning on running freeNAS on a usb drive and having the hard drives dedicated to it so the os doesn't utilize it any bit. I was thinking this would be possible since the mining would have little to no cpu penalty so its almost as if the two are running separately.

My System Specs: (Short list) i7 4770k, GTX 780, many SSD's, a 2 TB HDD(deceased :( ), Corsair 650D. Full list: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/kchriz6097/saved/8dh7YJ

Upgrade Plan: Acquire some Black Noctuas then add 16 or 32GB of 2133MHz memory

To clarify, I was planning on running freeNAS on a usb drive and having the hard drives dedicated to it so the os doesn't utilize it any bit. I was thinking this would be possible since the mining would have little to no cpu penalty so its almost as if the two are running separately.

Ah.

FreeNAS is an OS. It will see and use everything on your motherboard. You can't boot two OS' simultaneously on a normal or server motherboard because they expect to have full, exclusive, access to everything. 

Do not Virtualize FreeNAS. Bad things come of it. And Virtualizing a mining OS like BAMT is impossible, I think (in FreeNAS). I'll check into it and let you know, but I expect to find nothing.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

what is a good backup software to a nas that is free

what is a good backup software to a nas that is free

AOMEI Backupper

Or you can install a plugin on FreeNAS for backups, such as Bacula-sd, crashplan, or something similar. Those are plugins for FreeNAS.

† Christian Member †