Will an i7 7700k bottleneck a RTX 3080?

Splatacake

Budget (including currency):  $1300 CAD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: cyberpunk 2077, runescape

Other 

Test

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Processor 
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler  ($89.95 @ Amazon) 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5 g Thermal Paste  ($6.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: MSI Z270 GAMING PLUS ATX LGA1151 Motherboard 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  ($99.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($107.99 @ Adorama) 
Storage: Toshiba P300 3 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($149.94 @ Amazon) 
Case: Fractal Design Meshify S2 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($158.00 @ B&H) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMx 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit  ($108.78 @ Other World Computing) 
Wireless Network Adapter: Asus PCE-AC56 PCIe x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter 
Monitor: Asus PG279Q ROG Swift 27.0" 2560x1440 165 Hz Monitor 
Custom: Rosewill ESD Anti-Static Wrist Strap Components RTK-002, Black/Yellow  ($6.99 @ Amazon) 
Custom: Corsair HD Series, HD120 RGB LED, 120mm High Performance Individually Addressable RGB LED PWM Fans Part Cooling (CO-9050065-WW)  ($105.66 @ Amazon) 
Custom: Corsair HD Series, HD120 RGB LED, 120mm High Performance Individually Addressable RGB LED PWM Fans Part Cooling (CO-9050065-WW)  ($105.66 @ Amazon) 
Custom: Corsair CO-9050066-WW HP120 RGB LED 120mm Leistungsstarker PWM Lüfter mit Controller und Hub schwarz  ($197.00 @ Amazon) 
Custom: MSI Arsenal Gaming Intel Kaby Lake Z270M DDR4 HDMI USB 3 CrossFire ATX Motherboard (Z270 GAMING PLUS) 
Custom: Corsair Fan Controller Commander Pro (CL-9011110-WW)  ($74.29 @ Newegg) 
Total: $1422.56
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-09-16 22:32 EDT-0400

Unfortunately, depending on game the answer is yes.  Jay in his 3080 review showed benchmarks with a 7700k at 5.1GHz.  I believe it was Jayz.

EDIT : It was Hardware Canucks

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

21 minutes ago, Samfisher said:

Unfortunately, depending on game the answer is yes.  Jay in his 3080 review showed benchmarks with a 7700k at 5.1GHz.  I believe it was Jayz.

do you have a time stamp i don't really understand the charts  

my cpu is Stock so like 4.5

9 minutes ago, Splatacake said:

Sorry my bad, it's Hardware Canucks.  The entire video is about whether you should upgrade, pertaining to whether you need to upgrade your underlying system as well.   Any reason you're buying a 7700k now?

9 minutes ago, Samfisher said:

Sorry my bad, it's Hardware Canucks.  The entire video is about whether you should upgrade, pertaining to whether you need to upgrade your underlying system as well. 

my problem is i don't currently have a GPU. i used to have a GTX 1080ti but it decided to up and die outside of warranty period and no repair shops near me work on GPUs. ive been told time and time again that the 20 series is shit and a waste of money.  and looking at prices of another 1080ti on newegg.ca a refurbished one would still cost me as much as 3080 anyway which doesn't sound like a good investment when 3080 can do way more 

5 minutes ago, Splatacake said:

my problem is i don't currently have a GPU. i used to have a GTX 1080ti but it decided to up and die outside of warranty period and no repair shops near me work on GPUs. ive been told time and time again that the 20 series is shit and a waste of money.  and looking at prices of another 1080ti on newegg.ca a refurbished one would still cost me as much as 3080 anyway which doesn't sound like a good investment when 3080 can do way more 

Then just get it.  It will still perform better than any card out there, you just won't see the absolute peak the 3080 can reach until you do a small CPU upgrade in the future.

7 minutes ago, Samfisher said:

Then just get it.  It will still perform better than any card out there, you just won't see the absolute peak the 3080 can reach until you do a small CPU upgrade in the future.

having 30 minute load times on  an overclocked CPU worries me a little though. as my PC is completely stock

22 minutes ago, Splatacake said:

having 30 minute load times on  an overclocked CPU worries me a little though. as my PC is completely stock

That's gonna be true either way no matter which GPU you use for Modern Warfare.  And that only happens with a major patch or a driver update.  Anyone who plays Warzone/MW will have to go through this once every few weeks.

3 minutes ago, Samfisher said:

That's gonna be true either way no matter which GPU you use for Modern Warfare.  And that only happens with a major patch or a driver update.  Anyone who plays Warzone/MW will have to go through this once every few weeks.

so only MW does that not other games because i dont play Battle Royals

1 minute ago, Splatacake said:

so only MW does that not other games because i dont play Battle Royals

Yea it's specifically MW.  The video he showed is also MW.

1 minute ago, Samfisher said:

Yea it's specifically MW.  The video he showed is also MW.

im worried it would happen to future games like cyberpunk 2077 or beyond good and evil 2 or existing games like GTA V

2 minutes ago, Splatacake said:

im worried it would happen to future games like cyberpunk 2077 or beyond good and evil 2 or existing games like GTA V

Well if you don't see it happening in GTA V, no reason why a 3080 would cause it to happen.  The GPU doesn't change what the CPU is doing.  If you're satisfied with the 7700k as it is, then you'll feel the same with a 3080.  Since CP2077   and BGE2 don't exist yet, nobody knows how they perform anyway :P

i h

2 hours ago, Samfisher said:

Well if you don't see it happening in GTA V, no reason why a 3080 would cause it to happen.  The GPU doesn't change what the CPU is doing.  If you're satisfied with the 7700k as it is, then you'll feel the same with a 3080.  Since CP2077   and BGE2 don't exist yet, nobody knows how they perform anyway :P

will i bottleneck at 1440p ?

i h

will i bottleneck at 1440p ?

A little I guess, but no matter what hardware you have, there will always be a bottleneck.  There's no such thing as no bottlenecks.  You're just trying to minimize it as best you can.  No bottlenecking would require infinite performance on all parts of the system.

Just now, Samfisher said:

A little I guess, but no matter what hardware you have, there will always be a bottleneck.  There's no such thing as no bottlenecks.  You're just trying to minimize it as best you can.  No bottlenecking would require infinite performance on all parts of the system.

so is it safe to just ignore it and get a 3080 or am i risking killing my hardware faster?

so is it safe to just ignore it and get a 3080 or am i risking killing my hardware faster?

Oh, bottlenecking doesn't cause degradation in hardware.

4 minutes ago, Samfisher said:

Oh, bottlenecking doesn't cause degradation in hardware.

what does it do?

Just now, Splatacake said:

what does it do?

Like a mineral bottle, the neck of the bottle is smaller than the rest of the bottle, restricting liquid flow.  That is what a bottleneck is, some part of the system that slows down, or reduces performance of the entire system because of it.  You can only get water out as fast as the size of the bottleneck is on the bottle.  Same with on PCs, there's always going to be a part that is the "bottleneck" so to speak.  Maybe a CPU is too slow to feed the GPU with all the data it needs to fully utilize the GPU, maybe a GPU is too slow for games and your CPU is sitting around not doing much cos the GPU is already maxed out etc etc.

15 minutes ago, Samfisher said:

Like a mineral bottle, the neck of the bottle is smaller than the rest of the bottle, restricting liquid flow.  That is what a bottleneck is, some part of the system that slows down, or reduces performance of the entire system because of it.  You can only get water out as fast as the size of the bottleneck is on the bottle.  Same with on PCs, there's always going to be a part that is the "bottleneck" so to speak.  Maybe a CPU is too slow to feed the GPU with all the data it needs to fully utilize the GPU, maybe a GPU is too slow for games and your CPU is sitting around not doing much cos the GPU is already maxed out etc etc.

would it be a waste to buy a 3080 with my hardware? or would i be fine / probably not notice it ? i used to have a 1080ti and never really noticed anything being slow. maybe gta V online took 15-30 minutes to load in but that game is 80% loading screens

i mainly play at 1440p with refresh rate set to 144, not that i ever really got above 120fps unless the game was from 2010 or older

im mostly looking for a replacement for my 1080ti that cost less than buying another 1080ti , i dont understand the pricing at all, when i bought my card it was $900 Cad but now its $1500 from the same website, a 2080 super is $1000  and im assuming a 3080 will also be around $1000 (hopefully $1300 tops)  

(i'm not interested in refurbished)

https://www.newegg.ca/p/pl?d=1080ti&N=100007708&name=Desktop+Graphics+Cards&Order=1

would it be a waste to buy a 3080 with my hardware? or would i be fine / probably not notice it ? i used to have a 1080ti and never really noticed anything being slow. maybe gta V online took 15-30 minutes to load in but that game is 80% loading screens

i mainly play at 1440p with refresh rate set to 144, not that i ever really got above 120fps unless the game was from 2010 or older

im mostly looking for a replacement for my 1080ti that cost less than buying another 1080ti , i dont understand the pricing all, when i bought my card it was $900 Cad but now its $1500 from the same website, a 2080 super is $1000  and im assuming a 3080 will also be around $1000 (hopefully $1300 tops)  

(i'm not interested in refurbished)

https://www.newegg.ca/p/pl?d=1080ti&N=100007708&name=Desktop+Graphics+Cards&Order=1

If you get a 3080 now, it'll last you until you also need a CPU upgrade so you should be fine.  You'll get a lot more FPS in games where your CPU isn't the bottleneck.

12 hours ago, Splatacake said:

Hardware Canucks just released another video where they tested a 3080 with a whole host of CPUs that might give you an idea of any bottlenecks that I think you might find interesting :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNMVikiHCXg

11 hours ago, Samfisher said:

Hardware Canucks just released another video where they tested a 3080 with a whole host of CPUs that might give you an idea of any bottlenecks that I think you might find interesting :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNMVikiHCXg

Is there a way to see how much performance difference there is between say an i7 7700k with a 1080ti vs i7 7700k bottlenecking with a 3080?