Looking for a new Headset.

AgentTran

Hey, this is my first post at Linus Tech Tips so I'm hoping you guys can help me out.

I've looked around on youtube on the channel and on the forums and there is nothing I have found very appealing to me, so I resort to creating a new thread. 

I have a budget of $100 - 200, CAD. (everything is about 25% more expensive here, BS.)

I can also go up to $250 - 300 if you really do think it's worth it. (I'm also buying a Corsair M40, which is only about 60 bucks, so.)

Any suggestions for headphones I could use for gaming, watching movies, just regular things.

Some major important points for me are sound quality, build quality, durability, and looks.

Some headphones I've looked at are the:

Corsair Vengeance 2100 

Asus Orion Pro

Audio Technica ATH-M50 

The M50 is a little expensive over here though, and it would be ideal to spend as little as possible.

I usually look off here: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/parts/headphones/

Thanks!

Why not HD518?
And anything but headsets and M50's....

Why not HD518?

Why would you not recommend the M50's? 

Are they not good for gaming? I've looked around and people have said it is alright for gaming, but for overall sound quality it is very good.

Also, if I could raise my budget to around $250 CAD, what do you think I could get?

Are they not good for gaming? I've looked around and people have said it is alright for gaming, but for overall sound quality it is very good.

Also, if I could raise my budget to around $250 CAD, what do you think I could get?

Try to see if you can ship the CHC Silverado from the US Amazon page. They're only $80 right now which is an amazing deal. If you can, you will be saving a ton of money. 

Edit: Oh hey I got 500 posts!! :D

Closed, overpriced (More so for you), uncomfortable, mediocre as is. 

Pro recommendation, is Nanna's CHC's and HD518's. 

Headphones fo more music, and on the go. 

And headphones fo more music and gaming. 

Both easy to drive and will last forever. 

Confapulations.

Try to see if you can ship the CHC Silverado from the US Amazon page. They're only $80 right now which is an amazing deal. If you can, you will be saving a ton of money. 

Will have to see if they'll ship to Canada when ordered off the .com page, but if it does I'd say go for it.

Nope, doesn't ship here. 

Nope, doesn't ship here. 

Try it with some other headphones. I think it depends on brand. I believe V-Modas ship to Canada and also Pioneers. Try some Beyerdynamics DT770/880/990 and if that doesn't work perhaps try V-Moda Crossfade LPs.

Well, having $380 total I can spend, I will probably spend $80 on a mouse, leaving me a total of around $300 to spend after shipping/handling, so I will probably have about $280/290 depending on shipping to spend.

This is a lot of money for headphones, whats the best thing you guys can hook me up with? 

Also, this should be able to be good for gaming at a desktop PC, go for long hours, and be able to be taken around with me on the bus, and used with a phone.

It's a decent list of requirements, but I think for what I'm paying I should expect it. Right?

:)

Well, having $380 total I can spend, I will probably spend $80 on a mouse, leaving me a total of around $300 to spend after shipping/handling, so I will probably have about $280/290 depending on shipping to spend.

This is a lot of money for headphones, whats the best thing you guys can hook me up with? 

Also, this should be able to be good for gaming at a desktop PC, go for long hours, and be able to be taken around with me on the bus, and used with a phone.

It's a decent list of requirements, but I think for what I'm paying I should expect it. Right?

Well try getting Beyerdynamic DT770 (closed) or DT990 (opened) 80 ohm from the US Amazon. You will probably want closed for the bus.  If that doesn't work, then try V-Moda LP crossfades or you can just go for Shure 440 with 840 earpads. The Shures are about the same price in Canada as the US

I'd say just go with one of those options and save the rest but if you are insistent on spending more I can offer more options but i don't know how much of a difference you will actually hear. 

The thing is, it's not that your budget is too low, it's that Canadian headphone prices are too high. When they go on a GOOD sale, it's usually about the average non-sale price we pay in the US. Best thing to do is find a good used pair from someone in the US, or find something on Amazon.com that'll ship to Canada.

The Pioneer SE-A000 isn't insanely overpriced, and still under MSRP, so that's one good recommendation if you can't find anything else.

The thing is, it's not that your budget is too low, it's that Canadian headphone prices are too high. When they go on a GOOD sale, it's usually about the average non-sale price we pay in the US. Best thing to do is find a good used pair from someone in the US, or find something on Amazon.com that'll ship to Canada.

The Pioneer SE-A000 isn't insanely overpriced, and still under MSRP, so that's one good recommendation if you can't find anything else.

Out of stock xD

Massdrop is another option since they ship international so you can probably get some pretty nice headphones for that budget but you would have to wait and check daily until some good ones go on drop again. I see Beyers a lot on there.

Out of stock xD

Massdrop is another option since they ship international so you can probably get some pretty nice headphones for that budget but you would have to wait and check daily until some good ones go on drop again. I see Beyers a lot on there.

What do you guys think about Sennheiser's gaming lineup?

The newly introduced G4ME ONE and ZERO? 

What do you guys think about Sennheiser's gaming lineup?

The newly introduced G4ME ONE and ZERO? 

If you are set on a headset, go for the PC360 because it's the same thing as their new ones but much cheaper. Although it's not really worth it since its $250 in Canada while its $166 in the US. The shures would be a better deal. 

If you are set on a headset, go for the PC360 because it's the same thing as their new ones but much cheaper.

This one is on sale for $199, and have free shipping.

http://products.ncix.com/detail/sennheiser-pc360-g4me-gaming-stereo-5a-52370-1285.htm

I've heard these are 558's with a mic on them, and if that's true then the 558's coming in at around $270, should I get this quick?

Anything else around this range that is competitive? (in sound quality + looks) 

I have never invested my money into headphones over $40, so this is certainly a first. 

This one is on sale for $199, and have free shipping.

http://products.ncix.com/detail/sennheiser-pc360-g4me-gaming-stereo-5a-52370-1285.htm

I've heard these are 558's with a mic on them, and if that's true then the 558's coming in at around $270, should I get this quick?

Anything else around this range that is competitive? (in sound quality + looks) 

I have never invested my money into headphones over $40, so this is certainly a first. 

Sennheiser 558 are around $130 in the US. I don't think that's a very good deal but for an actual headset that is the best you can do. $199 isn't terrible for it considering the Canada markup but you could attach a modmic to a dedicated set of headphones and that would be cheaper. 

PC360's are decent, but a Blue Snowflake or ModMic with a pair of HD518 would do the same job, if not better.

Personally, I'd go for those SRH440's with 840 pads, I have both the PC360 and the 440s with 840 pads, and I prefer everything about the 440's.

Reviews: JBL J33i   M50s   SRH440   Soundmagic PL50           

Oh, I am an idiot. I forgot about this, I already have a mic that is of decent quality, so having a mic on it is really no big deal.

I just want the sound quality for movies, music, and gaming.

PC360's are decent, but a Blue Snowflake or ModMic with a pair of HD518 would do the same job, if not better.

Personally, I'd go for those SRH440's with 840 pads, I have both the PC360 and the 440s with 840 pads, and I prefer everything about the 440's.

All  sennheisers are super expensive in Canada. The 518 isn't too bad at $99 but the Shures are the same price in Canada as the US so I would really urge the OP to go for that. 

All  sennheisers are super expensive in Canada. The 518 isn't too bad at $99 but the Shures are the same price in Canada as the US so I would really urge the OP to go for that. 

http://www.amazon.ca/Shure-SRH440-Professional-Studio-Headphones/dp/B002DP1FTU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1394298916&sr=8-1&keywords=srh+440

Same price as the one in the US, but I have no idea where to find the 840 pad replacements.

Would these be the ones I could fit on my SRH440? 

http://www.amazon.ca/Shure-HPAEC840-Replacement-Cushions-Headphones/dp/B002Z9JWZS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1394299164&sr=8-3&keywords=srh

Also, since I have a larger budget than this, do you think I would get better sound quality if I dropped buying the replacement 840 pads and just buy the actual 840's?

http://www.amazon.ca/Shure-SRH840-Professional-Monitoring-Earphones/dp/B002DP8IEK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1394299240&sr=8-1&keywords=srh+840

$199 here.

http://www.amazon.ca/Shure-SRH440-Professional-Studio-Headphones/dp/B002DP1FTU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1394298916&sr=8-1&keywords=srh+440

Same price as the one in the US, but I have no idea where to find the 840 pad replacements.

http://www.amazon.ca/Shure-HPAEC840-Replacement-Cushions-Headphones/dp/B002Z9JWZS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1394299164&sr=8-3&keywords=srh

Also, since I have a larger budget than this, do you think I would get better sound quality if I dropped buying the replacement 840 pads and just buy the actual 840's?

http://www.amazon.ca/Shure-SRH840-Professional-Monitoring-Earphones/dp/B002DP8IEK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1394299240&sr=8-1&keywords=srh+840

$199 here.

From what I read on the internet from a quick google search, the 840 doesn't sound "better" than the 440. It just sounds different. I haven't had experience with either so I can't really tell you for sure but the general consensus is that the difference isn't that big at all and not worth double the price.  

$199 here.

the pads have the part number HPAEC840, if that helps. Usually I find them by searching for Shure 840. EDIT: those ARE the pads. the bass will be better with it, and comfort as well.

EDIT again: with the 840 pads, the 440's sound nearly identical to the 840's

Edited by Lauen

Reviews: JBL J33i   M50s   SRH440   Soundmagic PL50           

From what I read on the internet from a quick google search, the 840 doesn't sound "better" than the 440. It just sounds different. I haven't had experience with either so I can't really tell you for sure but the general consensus is that the difference isn't that big at all and not worth double the price.  

Why not HD518?

Thanks all you guys for giving me answers, but I am looking to purchese these:

http://www.amazon.ca/Shure-SRH440-Professional-Studio-Headphones/dp/B002DP1FTU/ref=lh_ni_t?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A20RAN5BPZ3LO8

SRH 400 headphones

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/190702709217?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

SRH 840 pads for the 440

These combined will total me out at $125 after shipping + tax for the headphones, and about $25 for the earpads after shipping + tax.

This equals out to about $150, do you think this is the best deal I can get?

(I know there are better options but other headphones like this one are crazy expensive over here.)