Upgrade or nah

OD_Hindu

Budget (including currency): 2000

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: gamer 

Details: I currently have a GTX 1080, 6600k OC @ 4.2ghz, 16GB of RAM. I built this PC about 4-5 years ago. Basically when the 1080 came out. I have recently started to run into some issues with games here and there. I’ve been having a lot of issues with Warzone especially but I’m not sure if that is mainly the game itself or my hardware. If I were to upgrade I would get a 10700k and a RTX 3080. I currently play on 1440p @ 144hz 

Any suggestions on if I should just hold out for another year or so or just go ahead and upgrade. I would probably only upgrade the Mobo, CPU, GPU and CPU cooler. Unless it might be better to just have a brand new build. 

5 minutes ago, OD_Hindu said:

Budget (including currency): 2000

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: gamer 

Details: I currently have a GTX 1080, 6600k OC @ 4.2ghz, 16GB of RAM. I built this PC about 4-5 years ago. Basically when the 1080 came out. I have recently started to run into some issues with games here and there. I’ve been having a lot of issues with Warzone especially but I’m not sure if that is mainly the game itself or my hardware. If I were to upgrade I would get a 10700k and a RTX 3080. I currently play on 1440p @ 144hz 

Any suggestions on if I should just hold out for another year or so or just go ahead and upgrade. I would probably only upgrade the Mobo, CPU, GPU and CPU cooler. Unless it might be better to just have a brand new build. 

Warzone requires a beefy CPU and at least 3000mhz of ram speed.

PM or DM me if you have any questions about audio.

My PC specs & audio gear

CPU > Intel core i7 14700K, GPU > RTX 4070 ProArt, RAM > Corsair Vengeance DDR5 2x16gb 5600mhz, Motherboard > Asus ROG Strix B760-F, Storage > 1TB M.2  & 500GB M.2 Kingston, Cooling > H150i Elite, PSU > MSI A850GL

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

Beyerdynamic Tygr 300 R w/ Dekoni Velour as daily driver

Soundblaster AE-9 Soundcard

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

Keyboard > SteelSeries Apex Pro

Mouse > Steelseries Aerox 3 wireless

Mousepad > Pulsar ParaSpeed XXL

VR > Valve index kit

Read this post if you want a "gaming" headset ;)

If you have $2000 to spend, yeah it's time to upgrade, or practically get a new pc.

Sell everything but the SSD / HDD and Ram.

Get a 3080 and Ryzen 4000.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

I don't think the graphics card is a problem here.
I run a GTX 1080 aswell at 3440x1440 and that works out fine. I'm currently playing Horizon Zero Dawn at 60FPS high settings.

But your CPU could need an upgrade, if you're not willing to lower the settings.

38 minutes ago, Tom_nerd said:

what games are you running?

I’m all over the place with games but I do play games that are graphically intensive. 

28 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

If you have $2000 to spend, yeah it's time to upgrade, or practically get a new pc.

Sell everything but the SSD / HDD and Ram.

Get a 3080 and Ryzen 4000.

I have the money yes but the question is should I be spending it or just saving it. I’m not the type of person to just spend money just because I have it. 

8 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

I don't think the graphics card is a problem here.
I run a GTX 1080 aswell at 3440x1440 and that works out fine. I'm currently playing Horizon Zero Dawn at 60FPS high settings.

But your CPU could need an upgrade, if you're not willing to lower the settings.

So u think just a cpu and motherboard upgrade would do just fine for now?

42 minutes ago, OD_Hindu said:

So u think just a cpu and motherboard upgrade would do just fine for now?

Yeah. If that doesn't work then you can still upgrade the GPU.

8 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

Yeah. If that doesn't work then you can still upgrade the GPU.

That’s true, I’ll probably end up doing that. Thanks for the advice.