Budget Amp to power Micca Mb 42x

Matt255

Just ordered renewed Mb42x on amazon but I am unsure of what amplifier to run them with. Honestly would not like to spend more than 30USD. The main use will be a desktop speaker and maybe next year i will contemplate a smaller subwoofer like a sub-800.

I have seen negative comments about the lepai2020A but a recommendation for the nobsound tpa3116. I am honestly not sure what i should be looking for but these also caught my eye but i hear bluetooth doesn't sound as good.

https://fosiaudio.com/products/bt10a-bluetooth-4-0-stereo-audio-amplifier-receiver-2-channel-class-d-mini-hi-fi-integrated-amp-for-home-speakers-50w-x-2-tpa3116

What would you recommend?

The speaks specs say this
 impedance: 4-8 ohms
 power handling: 75 watts (each)

Sadly 4 to 8 ohms is a big difference. Lets say I recommend a 75 watt 8Ohm amp. According to those stats should be perfect. BUT wait what if the speaker is actually 4 Ohms. Well youve just put 150 Watts through the speaker and its shat it self. (if you halve the Impedance you double the wattage)

You first choice is the safe option being below power specification meaning if you turned the amp to max the speaker wont break. But if the speaker is 8Ohms it may be a little quite.

The second choice is fine if its a 8ohm speaker as thats only 50 Watts so below the max for the speaker but if its 4 ohms its 100 Watts so over the speakers max.
The second option also has stats which contridicteds its self.
"100W RMS X 2(4 ohms, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 0.04% THD), comes with 19V power supply, can drive 280watts(8 ohm), 320watts(4 ohm) speakers;"

The safe option is the first one but if you buy it and its too quite return it get the second option but DO NOT turn the second option up to max! That amp has the possibility to be too powerful and could kill the speaker.

3 hours ago, Ahoy Hoy said:

Sadly 4 to 8 ohms is a big difference. Lets say I recommend a 75 watt 8Ohm amp. According to those stats should be perfect. BUT wait what if the speaker is actually 4 Ohms. Well youve just put 150 Watts through the speaker and its shat it self. (if you halve the Impedance you double the wattage)

You first choice is the safe option being below power specification meaning if you turned the amp to max the speaker wont break. But if the speaker is 8Ohms it may be a little quite.

The second choice is fine if its a 8ohm speaker as thats only 50 Watts so below the max for the speaker but if its 4 ohms its 100 Watts so over the speakers max.
The second option also has stats which contridicteds its self.
"100W RMS X 2(4 ohms, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 0.04% THD), comes with 19V power supply, can drive 280watts(8 ohm), 320watts(4 ohm) speakers;"

The safe option is the first one but if you buy it and its too quite return it get the second option but DO NOT turn the second option up to max! That amp has the possibility to be too powerful and could kill the speaker.

When you refer to the first option do you mean the Lepai or the first fosi audio link i sent?

On 9/10/2020 at 2:10 PM, Ahoy Hoy said:

I think I'm right in saying that most vendors give the power handling at the lowest impedance rather than the highest. Those speakers are listed on the UK Amazon site as 75w at 4 Ohms. 

[ P R O J E C T _ M E L L I F E R A ]

[ 5900X @4.7GHz PBO2 | X570S Aorus Pro | 32GB GSkill Trident Z 3600MHz CL16 | EK-Quantum Reflection ]
[ ASUS RTX4080 TUF OC @3000MHz | O11D-XL | HardwareLabs GTS and GTX 360mm | XSPC D5 SATA ]

[ TechN / Phanteks G40 Blocks | Corsair AX750 | ROG Swift PG279Q | Q-Acoustics 2010i | Sabaj A4 ]

P R O J E C T | S A N D W A S P

6900K | RTX2080 | 32GB DDR4-3000 | Custom Loop 

On 9/11/2020 at 2:32 PM, HM-2 said:

I think I'm right in saying that most vendors give the power handling at the lowest impedance rather than the highest. Those speakers are listed on the UK Amazon site as 75w at 4 Ohms. 

This is the problem no one can guarantee it and its a big difference if you get it wrong.

4 hours ago, Ahoy Hoy said:

This is the problem no one can guarantee it and its a big difference if you get it wrong.

Except as I said they're listed as 75w 4 ohm...so there's your answer. You could always just email the producer. Besides, you'd only blow them if you cranked the volume ridiculously high. And who does that with a brand new amp?

[ 5900X @4.7GHz PBO2 | X570S Aorus Pro | 32GB GSkill Trident Z 3600MHz CL16 | EK-Quantum Reflection ]
[ ASUS RTX4080 TUF OC @3000MHz | O11D-XL | HardwareLabs GTS and GTX 360mm | XSPC D5 SATA ]

[ TechN / Phanteks G40 Blocks | Corsair AX750 | ROG Swift PG279Q | Q-Acoustics 2010i | Sabaj A4 ]

1 hour ago, HM-2 said:

Except as I said they're listed as 75w 4 ohm...so there's your answer. You could always just email the producer. Besides, you'd only blow them if you cranked the volume ridiculously high. And who does that with a brand new amp?

The manufactures website and so does that amazon page says 4 to 8 ohms. So you aware for the future no manufacture gives the lowest impedance they give the impedance value which they measured.
Most people go heres my new speakers lets see how loud they go and pop.

On 9/10/2020 at 6:34 PM, Matt255 said:

When you refer to the first option do you mean the Lepai or the first fosi audio link i sent?

I went of the links. So the top link is first and bottom is second.

35 minutes ago, Ahoy Hoy said:

The manufactures website and so does that amazon page says 4 to 8 ohms. 

As per here they recommend use of 4ohm mode when available but state that their speakers will work absolutely fine on most 6-8 ohm receivers. The range metric is reflective of the variance in impedance based on frequency. The tl;dr is treat them as 4 ohm speakers and use a 4 ohm source as that's what the manufacturer recommends...but a 6 or 8 will be fine if you don't need the full 75w per speaker (which you almost definitely won't unless you're intending on using them for enhanced interrogation).

The OP quite frankly doesn't need to concern himself unduly as either of the two options linked above will drive them absolutely fine with zero risk of damage assuming he doesn't intend on cranking them to 11 and ignoring any clipping or distortion for a prolonged period of time.

So you aware for the future no manufacture gives the lowest impedance they give the impedance value which they measured.

Impedance varies depending on the frequency and manufacturers do not use the same metrics for determining impedance. Some provide a single figure, some like Micca provide a range, and in either case they're not apples to apples as they may well be at different frequencies, an average of different frequency ranges, or include a certain level of distortion.

Wattage figures for sources are usually given at a set impedance and where only one wattage figure is provided it is typically at the lowest impedance the source is designed for. A 6ohm source will happily drive 8 or even 10 ohm speakers at a decent volume but it's "rated power" will be for 6 ohms. That was my point, sorry if that wasn't clear.

Most people go heres my new speakers lets see how loud they go and pop.

Most people with more teeth than brain cells turn it down once you hit an audible distortion point. I've literally never met anyone in my life whose just turned it up as loud as it goes and then gone "whoops".