Screeching sound

Goku1814

Recently there has been a screeching sounds coming from my computer and I might have found it, its my graphic card. Randomly the fans will stop spinning then go back to spinning is there anything I can do to fix it in a extremely easy simple fix? It's newish like had it for maybe 3 months, 2060S. What do i do? is my card screwed?

Edited by Goku1814

What you're hearing is probably coil whine, and it has nothing to do with the fans. The fans stopping is a feature where if the card drops below a certain temperature, the fans will stop spinning to reduce noise. Coil whine is an issue that's plagued graphics cards for years, and there's not really any way to fix it that I know of.

A screeching noise most likely isn't the fans. It's probably coil while. A lot of GPUs have it. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/8/2020 at 8:41 PM, ProjectBox153 said:

A screeching noise most likely isn't the fans. It's probably coil while. A lot of GPUs have it. 

I seemed to fix the problem by turning the PSU upside down so the fan is pointing inside the case but since i have so much cool air flow its not affecting my tempatures. Ie I have 3 fans pointing outwards and 3 fan pointing inwards and 3 fans outside the case blowing so much air into the case that the temperature inside the case is colder than the ambient temperature of my room 

Edited by Goku1814