Newbie HP Solidworks Build

jotill00

Hi, I am a mechanical engineering student at university and I am starting to outgrow the performance capabilities of my macbook pro for solidworks. As some of you know, solidworks will not run on macOS, so I have resorted to running bootcamp for all my solidworks drawings, parts, and large assemblies. These large assemblies are the main issue. My mac is a 2017 MacBook Pro with a dual core 3.5 Ghz i7, 16 Gb RAM, and integrated graphics, and I think that maybe the graphics card is what is holding me back. I have looked into getting a MSI WS66 with 32Gb RAM, Intel 10th gen i9, and the quadro rtx 3000 graphics card, but that is an expensive setup that I may not be able to get the full quadro performance out of. Could you help me put together a parts list for a reasonable pc purpose built for chewing through large assemblies, simulations, and the like? I know very little about the actual PC building process, like what motherboard, cooling, power supply, and cable management to get. Do you think you can help?

17 minutes ago, jotill00 said:

and the quadro rtx 3000 graphics card

Overpriced, a rtx 2060 super or 2070 ( Super ) will get you the same amount of VRAM and more shader units

do you need ECC? because the you‘d need a quadro 

Edited by Drama Lama

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

I’m not sure what ECC is exactly, so I don’t know.

Edit: After a quick google search I’m willing to say yes about ECC. Often times Solidworks will not be able to rebuild and if I understand it, it could be useful for cutting down on my design time. I don’t know enough about Solidworks to know if it would be actually useful though.