Will this board work?

Daftlander

So this is my first Eagle project. I'm trying to have an A4988 stepper motor driver to drive a turntable and a 9v to 5v converter so that I can power the logic and the motor from one power plug. 

There's also an IR LED on the board as well. Although as I type this I realise it will just be permanently on in this layout.... It's supposed to be controlled by the arduino.

Still I can fix that easily enough. This is just a check that I've understood the programme. 

Cheers.

board view.PNG

schematic.PNG

Looks like a 2 layer board? Make the complete underside one large ground plane. Put all other traces on the top side. Use way thicker traces and/or polygons (especially the traces that actually carry current, such as power traces and the outputs to the motor). Don't place traces so close together for no reason, leave some room (it's a simple board, no need for acrobatics). Place C2 and C3 physically close to IC1. C1 is bulk capacitance - place it physically close to the POWERIN connector. Put a 100nF decoupling capacitor close to U$1's power pins.

Edit: Also, this looks autorouted. Don't do that. Route manually, otherwise you get a mess like this. The autorouter is only meant to autoroute things like data or addressbusses.

Like everyone said, route manually and use thicker traces, especially for the voltage and ground and the traces going to the motor header.

Place the decoupling capacitors (0.1uF) as close as possible to the actual components, by U1's Vdd and ground pins and near the input voltage pin of the linear regulator.

I'd have the ground trace under the U1 chip coming out by the Vdd pin so that you simply place the ceramic capacitor there, a few mm away from the pins.

Move Power In connector to the right, so you can have two thick traces going all the way to voltage regulator. The Data In could remain there.