Ordering an RTX 3080 in Canada?

BlackSpade741

Hey all, first time (hopeful) buyer of a newly launched graphics card here from Canada, I've never tried buying anything at launch and I had a few questions that hopefully the more seasoned purchasers among you can help answer. I know nobody short of Nvidia knows for sure, I just want educated guesses!

1. Does a preorder still seem likely or would it just go live for purchases on Sept 17? Also, what time during the day do they usually go live?

2. How long would I have after preorders/orders open to nab one? Seconds/Minutes? 

3. Since I'm in Canada, do I just order from the website like you would in the US? I keep getting redirected to the US site even after selecting Canada in the region, so I'm assuming this is the case.

4. Any tips or tricks for the launch?

Thanks in advance for your answers/guidance!

15 minutes ago, BlackSpade741 said:

Does a preorder still seem likely

As far as I know, NVIDIA bans preorder sales.

15 minutes ago, BlackSpade741 said:

would it just go live for purchases on Sept 17

In my experience, Canada doesn't see hardware on launch days at all. Maybe others can chime in if I'm wrong about this.

16 minutes ago, BlackSpade741 said:

3. Since I'm in Canada, do I just order from the website like you would in the US?

You miiight be able to order from US sale points and get it shipped to Canada. I haven't tried this personally.

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Secondary: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Fedora 38 x86_64

Server: AMD Athlon PRO 3125GE, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 ECC, TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.1

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64

Your best best is to try and get a founders from Nvidias site. You can check out in Canadian funds that will be close to the conversion rate and they charge tax at sale so no worries about duties and such but It costs $52 in shipping. 

Expect about $949 plus tax and shipping CAD for the 3080. 

Same here I sold my 2080Ti sh*t blow edition for 900$ surprisingly few days ago and I need a 3080 asap but we always get F over here in Canada so I wonder if we'll be able to get it on Sept 17th and if so... if it's only gonna be the not-so-good Founder Edition that has bad resale value after, or if the much better third party cards will be available at the same time too and if so, for same price or more?

Buying from the USA is a no go cause of the shipping delay, duty/custom extra fees, plus I think you don't even get a warranty since it's out of the country so a brand new 1000$ card with no warranty no thanks, and all this trouble just for the basic edition too?! Ah and by the way Master/Visa also add an extra 2.5% fee on top of the 30% currency conversion rate, so that's another thing to know.

So far as of Sept 09th, nobody seem to have anything listed online in Canada other than CanadaComputers having a generic page about RTX3000, but I've called and the employee said they knew so far absolutely nothing in terme of price or ETA -_-