CPU temps hitting 80°-100° need help

TunaBeef

Alright, ever since my little brother downloaded what he believed to be a free game i have experienced some serious issues with my PC, i have ran multiple test and completely reinstalled windows for a USB, however i was still getting problems afterwards. But then i realised my CPU was hitting 100° under-load, i need help to fix this. 

I am using an i5 4460 CPU with an Corsair Hydro Series H100i 240mm, i have checked to see if anything was wrong with the system physically and all seems to be in order.

It really *sounds* like something is not in order... Poor thermal paste application? Dusty radiator?

Have you taken a look to see if there are any unexpected processes running? | What are your ambient temps? 

I have reapplied thermal paste yesterday their seemed to be no impact on the temperature after i did this, also no, the radiator is fine and with background processes i didn't see any myself when i booted up the system, as well as this when i booted straight into the bios my temps where still very bad 

Idk how to test the AOI, i have been looking for a few days now to see how i can do that and found nothing 

If the AIO gets power from the motherboard then you should be able to see what speed it's running at. I Think corsair also has a program that can manage the AIO if it connects to the motherboard in any way (sometimes via USB).

It could be that the "free game" injected code some other way and reinstalling windows won't fix it. It could also be that any virus that came with that free game has already done its worst and has fried the CPU to the point of reflowing the IHS thermal interface material, or even fusing a power rail in the CPU resulting in a constant current heating up the CPU. That's a little out there though, so look at everything else first.

Edit:

One last thing, how is your AIO positioned? It could be that it is cavitating on an air bubble because it isn't positioned well.

Ryzen 7 3700X

Aorus GTX 1080ti

G.Skill TridentZ 3200MHz 2x8GB

Corsair SFX 750W

Phanteks Evolve Shift Air (glass front)

2x Corsair Force GS 120GB SSD (RAID 0)

1 hour ago, TunaBeef said:

Idk how to test the AOI, i have been looking for a few days now to see how i can do that and found nothing 

have the system running and listen to the block on the CPU, if you hear grinding, squealing or bubbling the pump is toast for the first 2, air has gotten in the system for the last. 

check in your bios for fan settings, your AIO pump will be plugged into a header on the board and it's possible that has been defaulted back to silent or off if it isn't set up properly. Checking the other fans' settings will also be a good idea. 

you can also check the CPU voltage and temps on Intel XTU to see if when you load the cpu it immediately spikes to 100C  which would indicate a mounting/thermal paste issue or slowly ramps up to 100C where it's more likely a pump/fan issue. 

The best gaming PC is the PC you like to game on, how you like to game on it

Okay I’ll do that when i get up tomorrow, thankyou 

10 hours ago, nightmarevoid said:

If the AIO gets power from the motherboard then you should be able to see what speed it's running at. I Think corsair also has a program that can manage the AIO if it connects to the motherboard in any way (sometimes via USB).

It could be that the "free game" injected code some other way and reinstalling windows won't fix it. It could also be that any virus that came with that free game has already done its worst and has fried the CPU to the point of reflowing the IHS thermal interface material, or even fusing a power rail in the CPU resulting in a constant current heating up the CPU. That's a little out there though, so look at everything else first.

Edit:

One last thing, how is your AIO positioned? It could be that it is cavitating on an air bubble because it isn't positioned well.

My AIO rad is on the top of my case, so that the pipes coming out of my CPU block are on the right side leading up into the rad

4BA62EC2-8D20-4ECC-B3F8-C14A56743510.jpeg

10 hours ago, GhostRoadieBL said:

have the system running and listen to the block on the CPU, if you hear grinding, squealing or bubbling the pump is toast for the first 2, air has gotten in the system for the last. 

check in your bios for fan settings, your AIO pump will be plugged into a header on the board and it's possible that has been defaulted back to silent or off if it isn't set up properly. Checking the other fans' settings will also be a good idea. 

you can also check the CPU voltage and temps on Intel XTU to see if when you load the cpu it immediately spikes to 100C  which would indicate a mounting/thermal paste issue or slowly ramps up to 100C where it's more likely a pump/fan issue. 

No noises coming from the AIO

i have also never used the BIOS before and so dont rlly know what i an doing ( the CPU stayed at 91°)

2EA7DA95-7B67-4FB4-9B97-28DA6AB64F13.jpeg

That's registering 0rpm for all your fans, I would check the connections of all the fans to the motherboard or if it's one of the aio where everything plugs into a controller on the aio block make sure it is still getting power from the cpu fan connector or 4 pin molex, sata something will be not supplying power to the pump

20 hours ago, TunaBeef said:

My AIO rad is on the top of my case, so that the pipes coming out of my CPU block are on the right side leading up into the rad

That is a very good radiator position. I wish it were as simple for you as repositioning. Sorry that wasn't the answer :(

Ryzen 7 3700X

Aorus GTX 1080ti

G.Skill TridentZ 3200MHz 2x8GB

Corsair SFX 750W

Phanteks Evolve Shift Air (glass front)

2x Corsair Force GS 120GB SSD (RAID 0)

5 hours ago, nightmarevoid said:

That is a very good radiator position. I wish it were as simple for you as repositioning. Sorry that wasn't the answer :(

Its okay, i rlly appreciate you trying to help me 👍

17 hours ago, GhostRoadieBL said:

That's registering 0rpm for all your fans, I would check the connections of all the fans to the motherboard or if it's one of the aio where everything plugs into a controller on the aio block make sure it is still getting power from the cpu fan connector or 4 pin molex, sata something will be not supplying power to the pump

Im p sure the 4 pin fan controller and the sata cable are all wired up BUT ik that the usb is not plugged in however it wasn’t plugged in before these issues when everything was working fine

4 hours ago, TunaBeef said:

Im p sure the 4 pin fan controller and the sata cable are all wired up BUT ik that the usb is not plugged in however it wasn’t plugged in before these issues when everything was working fine

For some reason the motherboard isn't reading rpm, if you plug the pump and fans straight into the motherboard bypassing the fan controller you can see if the controller is toast. 

6 hours ago, GhostRoadieBL said:

For some reason the motherboard isn't reading rpm, if you plug the pump and fans straight into the motherboard bypassing the fan controller you can see if the controller is toast. 

6 hours ago, GhostRoadieBL said:

My fans are all working, i just am wondering if the AIO or the CPU is broken 

Still seems like the pump, if the cpu was toast you would have other stability issues or it wouldn't boot at all. 

14 hours ago, GhostRoadieBL said:

Still seems like the pump, if the cpu was toast you would have other stability issues or it wouldn't boot at all. 

That makes sense i noticed that my CPU was steadily climbing in temperature about 2°+ ever second until it hit 91° and stayed at that temperature, my only concern is how could this have been cause by whatever my brother downloaded?

4 hours ago, SGardiner68 said:

Stick a cheap air cooler on the cpu and see if problem resolves itself

Yes, thats what i plan to do. Just wanted to see if i could resolve the problem before purchasing