need help with updating the rig

takithes

Hey!

After the launch of rtx 3000 series, i've decided to get the rtx 3080, but before that most likely will be waiting for the rdna2 launch, just incase some miracle happens with those GPUs.

At the moment, i have an amd radeon 5700xt with a ryzen 7 2700x, and im pretty set on also upgrading the CPU since i've really been looking forward to going to zen 2, or should i just be waiting for Zen 3, for better pricing and value.

Also im really not sure should i be getting a new PSU, atm i have a 750W 80+gold, but im not sure that will be enough for the new RTX lineup.

Help would be greatly appreciated!

3 minutes ago, takithes said:

Also im really not sure should i be getting a new PSU, atm i have a 750W 80+gold, but im not sure that will be enough for the new RTX lineup.

750 watts is plenty, is it a quality power supply?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

9 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

750 watts is plenty, is it a quality power supply?

apprently it was actually a Corsair 850W RM850x when i checked, i was so sure its a 750w lol

8 minutes ago, takithes said:

apprently it was actually a Corsair 850W RM850x when i checked, i was so sure its a 750w lol

either way it's much more than you'd need so you're covered

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

10 hours ago, takithes said:

ince i've really been looking forward to going to zen 2, or should i just be waiting for Zen 3, for better pricing and value.

the rm850x should be more than enough for a 3080, as for zen 2, i'd say wait for zen 3 and check what it has to offer and decide, what board do you have?

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

16 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

the rm850x should be more than enough for a 3080, as for zen 2, i'd say wait for zen 3 and check what it has to offer and decide, what board do you have?

asus x470 pro prime im pretty sure, that should be enough, but at the same time i've been thinking about the pcie gen 4, which this board doesnt support

which this board doesnt support

I doubt gen 3 x16 lanes will be saturated by a 3080, but we'll have to wait and check but again, it's unlikely. 

and yea that board could support zen 3 with a beta bios.

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Build Log: 

Just now, TofuHaroto said:

I doubt gen 3 x16 lanes will be saturated by a 3080, but we'll have to wait and check but again, it's unlikely. 

and yea that board could support zen 3 with a beta bios.

mostly, i was thinking about the new g6x memory, does it require pcie gen 4, or does it work without it, that logic i mean, loading not going through the CPU, but straight to GPU memory

does it require pcie gen 4, or does it work without it

No, pcie is backwards compatible. it should work just fine, and that new loading style (where it reads straight from the drive iirc) probably wont affect it.

Build Log: 

9 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

No, pcie is backwards compatible. it should work just fine, and that new loading style (where it reads straight from the drive iirc) probably wont affect it.

but, doesnt the new logic require pcie gen 4 speeds, or is just faster because of the different and shorter loading order

or is just faster because of the different and shorter loading order

We still need to check what ampere has to offer but again, no for the most part that doesn't have to do with gen 4 or 3 etc.

Build Log: 

1 minute ago, TofuHaroto said:

We still need to check what ampere has to offer but again, no for the most part that doesn't have to do with gen 4 or 3 etc.

well that would just save me around 200€ so im glad :D