Can a Ryzen 5 be paired with an RTX?

UwuweweweOssas

Hello everyone, i would pair a Ryzen 5 2600x with an RTX 2060 (with an Asrock B450M Pro4 as a motherboard and 16 GB 3000 MHz of Corsair Vengeance RAM). Will i have any bottlenecks?

Yes, you will have bottlenecks. It is not a straight yes or no question in the way most people want it to be. The odds of putting together a pc that will be perfectly matched in all of it's  components and the application your running is just a silly notion. The question you want to ask yourself is will this system perform adequately enough for my needs and are the inevitable bottlenecks within acceptable levels for my taste. And those components should work just fine together in that sense. 

Edit: If you haven't bought any parts yet though. with a 2600x 3200 mhz ram will squeeze out just a tiny bit more performance. And if you are buying parts new. in 2 months that 2600x is 2 gens old. you might wanna wait there. 

4 minutes ago, UwuweweweOssas said:

Hello everyone, i would pair a Ryzen 5 2600x with an RTX 2060 (with an Asrock B450M Pro4 as a motherboard and a 16 GB 3000 MHz of Corsair Vengeance as a RAM). Will i have any bottlenecks?

You're probably in the clear.

On a sidenote, try OC your RAM to 3200 mhz. Ryzen loves fast RAM. 

1 minute ago, St. Nick said:

Yes, you will have bottlenecks. It is not a straight yes or no question in the way most people want it to be. The odds of putting together a pc that will be perfectly matched in all of it's  components and the application your running is just a silly notion. The question you want to ask yourself is will this system perform adequately enough for my needs and are the inevitable bottlenecks within acceptable levels for my taste. And those components should work just fine together in that sense. 

Edit: If you haven't bought any parts yet though. with a 2600x 3200 mhz ram will squeeze out just a tiny bit more performance. And if you are buying parts new. in 2 months that 2600x is 2 gens old. you might wanna wait there. 

There wont be bottlenecks, its an overused word and it doesnt mean what you think it does.

Daily Driver (Lenovo Y700 Laptop)

Manjaro Linux  ||||  Intel Core i7-6700HQ  ||||  16GB DDR4-2666    ||||   GeForce GTX 960m  

250GB Samsung 970 Evo | 500GB Samung 840 Evo 

Windows Gaming PC

Windows 10 Pro  |||   Intel Core i7-10700k  |||   32GB DDR4-3600  |||   GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER  |||   MSI z490 A-Pro  |||   EVGA Supernova G2 650w 80+ Gold

120GB SSD | 1TB WD Blue 7200RPM

Bedroom HTPC and Emulation Box

Manjaro Linux  ||||   Intel Xeon E3-1231v3  ||||   8GB DDR3-1333  |||  Radeon RX 460   |||  Asus B85M-G

120GB SSD

Living Room HTPC - Optiplex 790 SFF

Manjaro Linux  |||  Intel Core i5-2400  |||  8GB DDR3-1333  |||  Radeon HD 5450

120GB SSD

6 minutes ago, St. Nick said:

Thank you for the suggest.

6 minutes ago, St. Nick said:

Thank you, i want a 2600x instead of a newer Zen 2 CPU beacause i want to keep the compatibility within the older Windows Versions.

That's totally a valid point, but I meant it in the way that when Zen 3 comes out and Zen 2 gets replaced. Zen+ parts will probably see another price cut both new and second hand.

3 minutes ago, seapriestess said:

There wont be bottlenecks, its an overused word and it doesnt mean what you think it does.

Thank you too.

1 minute ago, St. Nick said:

That's totally a valid point, but I meant it in the way that when Zen 3 comes out and Zen 2 gets replaced. Zen+ parts will probably see another price cut both new and second hand.

Yeah i just think the same, in fact i didn't have buy anything 'cause i'm waiting for a cut prize that there will be with the presentation of the next hardware.

3 minutes ago, seapriestess said:

Actually I am pretty sure it means exactly what I think it does. Every system has bottlenecks, it is not a question of if it is a question of how much. Hence why I said that it is not a straight yes or no question. It is finding that acceptable middle ground where you won't notice them. When people ask if a system has a bottleneck they are thinking of the big and hugely noticeable effects of mismatching high end and low end hardware, but I know perfectly well that that is a misnomer. I was saying the very thing you are trying to imply. But I am guessing you only read half of what I said. 

3 minutes ago, St. Nick said:

Actually I am pretty sure it means exactly what I think it does. Every system has bottlenecks, it is not a question of if it is a question of how much. Hence why I said that it is not a straight yes or no question. It is finding that acceptable middle ground where you won't notice them. When people ask if a system has a bottleneck they are thinking of the big and hugely noticeable effects of mismatching high end and low end hardware, but I know perfectly well that that is a misnomer. I was saying the very thing you are trying to imply. But I am guessing you only read half of what I said. 

They were asking about a Ryzen 5 2600x and RTX 2060, and their motherboard and RAM. A bottleneck is when one component pins or waits on the other t0o much.

Here is a video that explains it better than me so you can inform yourself. I did read your whole message, but they were asking about the GPU and CPU, which wont bottleneck.

Manjaro Linux  ||||  Intel Core i7-6700HQ  ||||  16GB DDR4-2666    ||||   GeForce GTX 960m  

Windows Gaming PC

Windows 10 Pro  |||   Intel Core i7-10700k  |||   32GB DDR4-3600  |||   GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER  |||   MSI z490 A-Pro  |||   EVGA Supernova G2 650w 80+ Gold

Manjaro Linux  ||||   Intel Xeon E3-1231v3  ||||   8GB DDR3-1333  |||  Radeon RX 460   |||  Asus B85M-G

120GB SSD

120GB SSD

13 minutes ago, seapriestess said:

There wont be bottlenecks

there's always something from stopping the pc from performing faster

that's the bottleneck.

bottleneck doesnt mean it's bad, it just means your pc will run as fast as that component allows it.

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Just now, Moonzy said:

there's always something from stopping the pc from performing faster

that's the bottleneck.

bottleneck doesnt mean it's bad, it just means your pc will run as fast as that component allows it.

Eh, I disagree, but it seems like I might get skewered if I push anymore, so I will back down

Windows Gaming PC

120GB SSD

120GB SSD

Nah, Skewering is only good for shashlik. We can be civilized and just drop the issue, people are entitled to their own opinions and that's cool. Let's just agree that these specs will be fine and if he/she can overclock their memory or get 3200mhz ram they will get a bit more performance. That seems to be what we all agree on right? No need to get vindictive if we all have the same advice to give. 

Just now, seapriestess said:

Eh, I disagree, but it seems like I might get skewered if I push anymore, so I will back down

haha, it's fine to agree to disagree am i really that scary

but it depends on how you define bottleneck

4 minutes ago, seapriestess said:

A bottleneck is when one component pins or waits on the other t0o much.

if following this definition, i would call the system "in balance", where most applications should load both cpu and gpu almost equally

and you would be right to say a system doesnt have a bottleneck if it's well balanced.

strictly speaking, a bottleneck's meaning is

a bottleneck is one process in a chain of processes, such that its limited capacity reduces the capacity of the whole chain.

so there's always something being the one halting the process, be it cpu, gpu, or something else in the system (some games run 20% on both gpu and cpu, and i cant seem to find the bottleneck)

Just now, Moonzy said:

am i really that scary

Just had two people tell me that Im wrong in the span of a few minutes, and the first one used very thorny words to do so. I used to be on twitter a lot, so Im used to being careful about what I choose to argue to avoid the crusade.

Just now, Moonzy said:

so there's always something being the one halting the process, be it cpu, gpu, or something else in the system (some games run 20% on both gpu and cpu, and i cant seem to find the bottleneck)

Hmm. So youre saying a bottleneck is just anything in the computer that waits on anything else. So by that definition a storage drive is always a bottleneck? Thats a really interesting way to think about it.

I usually consider bottleneck to be a lot more pronounced. That is the way I learned about it from jayztwocents. He loaded up a game benchmark and demonstrated the CPU being pinned and the GPU sitting at 20%, and said that he feels the word bottleneck is overused, and that this is what a bottleneck actually looks like.

With the computer accessing the SSD, I wouldnt think of it as a bottleneck because SSDs that are fast enough would be unnoticeable, even though the drive would be technically slower than the RAM or Cache.

I guess the difference here is I consider the word bottleneck to always be something thats causing a problem for the user.

Windows Gaming PC

120GB SSD

120GB SSD

17 minutes ago, St. Nick said:

Nah, Skewering is only good for shashlik. We can be civilized and just drop the issue, people are entitled to their own opinions and that's cool. Let's just agree that these specs will be fine and if he/she can overclock their memory or get 3200mhz ram they will get a bit more performance. That seems to be what we all agree on right? No need to get vindictive if we all have the same advice to give. 

So, i will be okay with that and i just need to overclock RAM's to get a small boost. Ok, thank you and everyone else that gave me those advices.

2 minutes ago, seapriestess said:

Just had two people tell me that Im wrong in the span of a few minutes, and the first one used very thorny words to do so.

It's normal to feel that way (I feel horrible when people say I'm wrong too)

but hey, it's a chance to learn something.

from my end his reply was quiet neutral, maybe you were just anxious because he said you were wrong so you took it in negatively.

4 minutes ago, seapriestess said:

I guess the difference here is I consider the word bottleneck to always be something thats causing a problem for the user.

for games, majority of the time it would be CPU (mostly single core, and I include RAM accessing into CPU category) or GPU bottlenecks, with some sprinkle of storage bottlenecks (pop-in textures etc etc).

as for noticeable, i would argue not noticing a bottleneck is not equal to not having a bottleneck.

a game can run at 2000 fps and still have a bottleneck, the user wont notice there's anything wrong though.

so yes, that's the practical definition of bottleneck that you meant, nothing is bottlenecking, because everything is fine.

but if there's no bottleneck, games would run at a bajillion FPS, and Nvidia would like to know your location.

Just now, Moonzy said:

It's normal to feel that way (I feel horrible when people say I'm wrong too)

but hey, it's a chance to learn something.

from my end his reply was quiet neutral, maybe you were just anxious because he said you were wrong so you took it in negatively.

They seem to be very civilized about it, but Ive learned to read into peoples words a lot, and telling me that I didnt read his reply when I did felt very pointy.

1 minute ago, Moonzy said:

for games, majority of the time it would be CPU (mostly single core, and I include RAM accessing into CPU category) or GPU bottlenecks, with some sprinkle of storage bottlenecks (pop-in textures etc etc).

as for noticeable, i would argue not noticing a bottleneck is not equal to not having a bottleneck.

a game can run at 2000 fps and still have a bottleneck, the user wont notice there's anything wrong though.

so yes, that's the practical definition of bottleneck that you meant, nothing is bottlenecking, because everything is fine.

but if there's no bottleneck, games would run at a bajillion FPS, and Nvidia would like to know your location.

I will consider this perspective going forward.

23 minutes ago, St. Nick said:

Thank you for not skewering me. And yes, specs are fine, just turn on XMP.

Windows Gaming PC

120GB SSD

120GB SSD

I did not intend to be pointed, but I can see how it came across as such. For that I apologise, I took a bit off offence to being told it does not mean what I think it does truth be told. But it is all good, we all love hardware so we can get along even if we disagree. Other perspectives are always worth considering if we want to learn something after all!