i7 Upgrade problems

Hello forum,

I recently upgraded my CPU from an i7 920 to a i7 950 I originally had 12GB of Memory installed however when I installed my new CPU only 8GB is detected in BIOS

Does anyone know how to fix this or why only half my memory is only being detected. 

P6T SE (X58)

i7 920 (upgraded to 950)

12GB 1333MHz Corsair XMS Memory

Corsair 650 Watt PSU

AMD 7970

Windows 7 (x64)

Hello forum,

I recently upgraded my CPU from an i7 920 to a i7 950 I originally had 12GB of Memory installed however when I installed my new CPU only 8GB is detected in BIOS

Does anyone know how to fix this or why only half my memory is only being detected. 

P6T SE (X58)

i7 920 (upgraded to 950)

12GB 1333MHz Corsair XMS Memory

Corsair 650 Watt PSU

AMD 7970

Windows 7 (x64)

remove the i7 950 and see if any of the contact points are damaged,then inspect the motherboard socket to see if you bent any pins during installation.if you don't see anything then try the 920 again.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

remove the i7 950 and see if any of the contact points are damaged,then inspect the motherboard socket to see if you bent any pins during installation.if you don't see anything then try the 920 again.

I have removed the 950 and inspected the motherboard pins, all appear to be fine, I have re-installed my 920 and all 12GB is now detected, could it be something like a BIOS issue or Memory compaitibility, I have 2 different sets of 12GB kits but are both corsair XMS3 (one is just a newer revision.)

I have removed the 950 and inspected the motherboard pins, all appear to be fine, I have re-installed my 920 and all 12GB is now detected, could it be something like a BIOS issue or Memory compaitibility, I have 2 different sets of 12GB kits but are both corsair XMS3 (one is just a newer revision.)

I think that at some point the part of the processor die which contains the memory controller may have been damaged. I would guess from improper mounting of a heatsink or from applying to much force on the heatsink when installing.

I doubt it's anything to do with compatibility since the ram works with the 920 but not the 950.

Why did you feel the need to upgrade?

The 950 is only 400mhz faster than the 920,you could most likely just overclock the 920 with the FSB to compensate.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552