Dorm Network Problem

Mike20865

So I recently moved into a dorm at my university, and my dorm currently only has two Ethernet ports, but I have two roommates. I anticipated this so I brought a cheap 5 port gigabit switch with me to split one of the ports. However, it seems that something is done on the back-end where I can't connect more than one device per each of the room's Ethernet ports. If i plug the switch into one of them, and something into the switch, everything works fine, but if I try to plug another device into the switch it acts like it isn't connected to anything. Unless, i disconnect the first device, at which point the second device starts working, and reconnecting the first device causes it to act the same way the second device did at first. Is there anything I can do to get around this or not?

If its only assigning one IP per port, then using a router would fix the problem since it creates its own network and distrebutes IPs of its own. No need to rely on the dorm router to do that.

Please mention or quote me if you want a response. :) 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

32 minutes ago, Uptivuptiz said:

If its only assigning one IP per port, then using a router would fix the problem since it creates its own network and distrebutes IPs of its own. No need to rely on the dorm router to do that.

Yes, except they probably have rules against routers. There are some things you can do, but we can’t give advice on violating rules here. I’ll just say this: generally network admins care about new wireless networks - so just don’t create a new wireless network. “Router” doesn’t mean it has wireless, or that the wireless is enabled.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

12 minutes ago, brwainer said:

Yes, except they probably have rules against routers. There are some things you can do, but we can’t give advice on violating rules here. I’ll just say this: generally network admins care about new wireless networks - so just don’t create a new wireless network. “Router” doesn’t mean it has wireless, or that the wireless is enabled.

Yeah I know, they don't allow setting up wireless networks, which I have no use for regardless, so I was just gonna buy a wired router since they're cheaper anyway, and there are no rules against them. Also can a managed switch get around this or no?

32 minutes ago, Mike20865 said:

Yeah I know, they don't allow setting up wireless networks, which I have no use for regardless, so I was just gonna buy a wired router since they're cheaper anyway, and there are no rules against them. Also can a managed switch get around this or no?

You need something with NAT, which means a router.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

14 hours ago, Mike20865 said:

A simple wired-only router is what you need. Something that bridges that single room-assigned IP to a new network on a different subnet.