Playing DX12 games on DX11-only cards that support vulkan on linux using VKD3D!

Demo:

I just think this is really neat, finally an incentive or a niche that may sway some users to at least give linux a try.

The game runs like semi-crap tho, but with a little tweaking and some updates to wine/proton and vkd3d it might just get the boost it needs, but if we're being realistic it might remain the same because a lot of the stutter seems to be caused by the lack of VRAM.

But hey, for some one out there who's dying to play this game, it might as well be their only real solution, and it's not like it's totally unplayable.

34 minutes ago, kQuote03 said:

But hey, for some one out there who's dying to play this game, it might as well be their only real solution, and it's not like it's totally unplayable.

You mean opposed to the "workaround" of simply buying a DX12 capable GPU? :D

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

13 hours ago, Eigenvektor said:

You mean opposed to the "workaround" of simply buying a DX12 capable GPU? :D

I think both of us know that this is simply not a solution to some of us who are less fortunate .-.

1 hour ago, kQuote03 said:

I think both of us know that this is simply not a solution to some of us who are less fortunate .-.

Of course there are people too poor to afford even a semi-modern GPU. But I don't think they're the intended market for this, exactly. Even the GTX 750 Ti from your video can do DirectX 12. Pretty sure you could get such a card fairly cheap on the used market.

This seems to be more of a workaround for people gaming on Wine/Linux. I'm fairly certain no amount of software trickery is going to make the game run faster on such an old card, especially if a compatibility layer like Wine is involved.

13 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

Even the GTX 750 Ti from your video can do DirectX 12

Death Stranding requires DX 12_0, and while the card supports DX 11_0 even with the latest drivers.

But I'll admit that I still don't quite get how a card can be DX12 compatible but remain on DX 11_0??

15 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

fairly cheap on the used market

Prices are only great in the US and other few countries, LowSpecGamer made a great video about this topic!

16 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

especially if a compatibility layer like Wine is involved

While I agree that the game will most probably not improve with time (as I have already stated, especially due to limited VRAM), I disagree that compat layers will be the direct cause, heck, if (in this case) wine improves, the already small overhead might even be smaller in the future.

2 minutes ago, kQuote03 said:

Death Stranding requires DX 12_0, and while the card supports DX 11_0 even with the latest drivers.

But I'll admit that I still don't quite get how a card can be DX12 compatible but remain on DX 11_0??

My bad. I found one Nvidia product page that lists DX12 compatible GPUs and it includes the 750 Ti. But yeah, it is limited to the 11_0 feature set. Their home page isn't exactly forthcoming with details about older products.

Basically DX12 includes multiple sets of features, labeled as 11_0, 11_1, 12_0, 12_1. Compatible GPUs must support everything from 11_0 and 11_1, but newer features are still optional. This means DX12 is backwards compatible to some older GPUs, but e.g. it would no longer support GPUs that can only do DX10 features. But if a game mandates features from the 12_0 feature set, then it can't run on hardware that only supports up to 11_1.

2 minutes ago, kQuote03 said:

While I agree that the game will most probably not improve with time (as I have already stated, especially due to limited VRAM), I disagree that compat layers will be the direct cause, heck, if (in this case) wine improves, the already small overhead might even be smaller in the future.

I don't think the overhead is the problem exactly, but rather that the card is quite old. There's nothing the software can do to improve that. It's just that any additional overhead, no matter how small, will only reduce its performance further.