Is there anything better (value) than the ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro ?

QuantumBit

Hi,

I need to buy a 500gb SSD (for games) and I was considering the ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, which seems to be the best for $70. I just wanted to ask on here before any final purchase

Also, does anyone know if it will it slow down once it starts filling up?

TYIA

Ion (Main Build)                                                                                        Overall Setup

i5 6500 3.2 GHz                                                                     -Blue snowball (White) thanks goodwill

MSI Mortar Arctic                                                                   -Logitech K120

Asus 1060 6GB Dual                                                             -Logitech Daedalus Prime G302

PNY CS1311 120 GB                                                            -Mousepad I made in 1st grade with my name on it                                                 

WD Caviar Blue 1 TB                                                              

Crucial Ballistix Sport LT White 16GB (8x2GB) 2400

NZXT S340 White

Corsair CXM 450W 

Lenovo H320 (Old Pre-built PC)                                      Possible upgrade for H320          

i5 650 3.2 GHz (heh)                                                                                    Xeon X3470

Motherboard unknown                                                       Same Motherboard

iGPU                                                                                   GT 1030 (MSI Low Profile Half Height)

Crucial 240GB SSD                                                           Crucial 240GB SSD

6GB DDR3 (4+2GB)                                                           8-10GB DDR3 (4+2+2GB/4+4+2GB)

Lenovo H320 case                                                             Lenovo H320 case

Unknown PSU (210W?)                                                     Same PSU (210W?)    

WD SN750 probably neck to neck with that.

Also you can get a Samsung PM981 nvme, the oem version of 970.

All ssd will slow down when it's filled up. Just make sure you have at least 10% space left.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

19 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

All ssd will slow down when it's filled up. Just make sure you have at least 10% space left.

i think the sn550 is the exception, and would be my go to for a cheaper drive than the sx8200 pro. that being said, i just bought a 2tb sx8200 pro because there isnt a 2tb of the sn550. but @QuantumBit the sn550 500gb was on sale for like 53 bucks a day or two ago and its a kickass drive. also, i think the sx8200 pro suffers from slowdowns due to filling its capacity more than competitors like the sn750 but its a fine drive regardless

topics i need help on:

Spoiler

my "oops i bought intel right before zen 3 releases" build

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 (placeholder)

GPU: Gigabyte 980ti Xtreme (also placeholder), deshroud w/ generic 1200rpm 120mm fans x2, stock bios 130% power, no voltage offset: +70 core +400 mem 

Memory: 2x16gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3600C16, 14-15-30-288@1.45v

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S w/ white chromax bling
OS Drive: Samsung PM981 1tb (OEM 970 Evo)

Storage Drive: XPG SX8200 Pro 2tb

Backup Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 4TB

PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750W w/ black/white Cablemod extensions
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Dark (to be replaced with a good case shortly)

basically everything was bought used off of reddit or here, only new component was the case. absolutely nutty deals for some of these parts, ill have to tally it all up once it's "done" :D 

25 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

WD SN750 probably neck to neck with that.

Also you can get a Samsung PM981 nvme, the oem version of 970.

Thank you!

Ion (Main Build)                                                                                        Overall Setup

i5 6500 3.2 GHz                                                                     -Blue snowball (White) thanks goodwill

MSI Mortar Arctic                                                                   -Logitech K120

Asus 1060 6GB Dual                                                             -Logitech Daedalus Prime G302

PNY CS1311 120 GB                                                            -Mousepad I made in 1st grade with my name on it                                                 

WD Caviar Blue 1 TB                                                              

NZXT S340 White

Corsair CXM 450W 

Lenovo H320 (Old Pre-built PC)                                      Possible upgrade for H320          

i5 650 3.2 GHz (heh)                                                                                    Xeon X3470

Motherboard unknown                                                       Same Motherboard

iGPU                                                                                   GT 1030 (MSI Low Profile Half Height)

Crucial 240GB SSD                                                           Crucial 240GB SSD

6GB DDR3 (4+2GB)                                                           8-10GB DDR3 (4+2+2GB/4+4+2GB)

Lenovo H320 case                                                             Lenovo H320 case

Unknown PSU (210W?)                                                     Same PSU (210W?)    

4 minutes ago, VeganJoy said:

i think the sn550 is the exception, and would be my go to for a cheaper drive than the sx8200 pro. that being said, i just bought a 2tb sx8200 pro because there isnt a 2tb of the sn550. but @QuantumBit the sn550 500gb was on sale for like 53 bucks a day or two ago and its a kickass drive. also, i think the sx8200 pro suffers from slowdowns due to filling its capacity more than competitors like the sn750 but its a fine drive regardless

Thanks!

5 minutes ago, VeganJoy said:

i think the sn550 is the exception

Are you saying this from experience or is there some technical reason behind this?

WD Caviar Blue 1 TB                                                              

NZXT S340 White

Corsair CXM 450W 

25 minutes ago, QuantumBit said:

Are you saying this from experience or is there some technical reason behind this?

technical reasons, it utilizes some fancy nand stuff that i dont even partially comprehend but its the best dramless ssd on the market making it a lot cheaper than ssds with dram while giving you very similar performance. maybe if i poke ssd god @NewMaxx he can elaborate, i bug him here and on reddit lmao

topics i need help on:

Spoiler

GPU: Gigabyte 980ti Xtreme (also placeholder), deshroud w/ generic 1200rpm 120mm fans x2, stock bios 130% power, no voltage offset: +70 core +400 mem 

basically everything was bought used off of reddit or here, only new component was the case. absolutely nutty deals for some of these parts, ill have to tally it all up once it's "done" :D 

10 minutes ago, VeganJoy said:

technical reasons, it utilizes some fancy nand stuff that i dont even partially comprehend but its the best dramless ssd on the market making it a lot cheaper than ssds with dram while giving you very similar performance. maybe if i poke ssd god @NewMaxx he can elaborate, i bug him here and on reddit lmao

Thank you! I'm really going to try to avoid reaching 90% capacity though

Im looking at the CPU user benchmark, and the XPG seems to be better in everything besides mixed IOPS, and isnt that the only stat that matters for day-to-day? Idk, because the XPG still has much higher peak speads (for IOPS aswell). Im not really sure how important that is though

WD Caviar Blue 1 TB                                                              

NZXT S340 White

Corsair CXM 450W 

7 minutes ago, QuantumBit said:

Im looking at the CPU user benchmark, and the XPG seems to be better in everything besides mixed IOPS, and isnt that the only stat that matters for day-to-day? Idk, because the XPG still has much higher peak speads (for IOPS aswell). Im not really sure how important that is though

ngl for gaming and general usage any speed past what a sata ssd will provide is unnoticeable to the average user. only for workloads with many gigs of data do the advantages of nvme show themselves. with next gen consoles having silly fast nvme drives this may change, but for now anything past an mx500 wouldnt be a noticeable change. but thats about as expensive as a budget nvme so ya might as well get an nvme :D

oh yeah also, everyone hates userbenchmark. maybe use passmark or something else to compare performance? ideally youd read a bunch of reviews but that takes a lot of time to figure everything out, userbenchmark kinda sucks though

topics i need help on:

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, VeganJoy said:

oh yeah also, everyone hates userbenchmark. maybe use passmark or something else to compare performance? ideally youd read a bunch of reviews but that takes a lot of time to figure everything out, userbenchmark kinda sucks though

Aw, I thought it was pretty good since (well I assume) it just stitches together all the info of benchmarks people with that hardware run, so itd be immune to bias and better than looking at reviews

WD Caviar Blue 1 TB                                                              

NZXT S340 White

Corsair CXM 450W 

6 minutes ago, QuantumBit said:

Aw, I thought it was pretty good since (well I assume) it just stitches together all the info of benchmarks people with that hardware run, so itd be immune to bias and better than looking at reviews

i mean its only semi-accurate use would be for testing your own hardware against other people's setups with the same hardware to make sure your stuff aint broke but thats about it, any comparison between products is pretty inaccurate due to their weighting system and their benchmark isnt very demanding/relevant afaik

topics i need help on:

Spoiler

15 hours ago, VeganJoy said:

i mean its only semi-accurate use would be for testing your own hardware against other people's setups with the same hardware to make sure your stuff aint broke but thats about it, any comparison between products is pretty inaccurate due to their weighting system and their benchmark isnt very demanding/relevant afaik

Oh thank you, well I checked Tom's hardware and the xpg seems to be better, but thank you for the help!

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/wd-blue-sn550-m2-nvme-ssd-review-best-dramless-ssd-yet/2

WD Caviar Blue 1 TB                                                              

NZXT S340 White

Corsair CXM 450W 

2 hours ago, QuantumBit said:

Oh thank you, well I checked Tom's hardware and the xpg seems to be better, but thank you for the help!

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/wd-blue-sn550-m2-nvme-ssd-review-best-dramless-ssd-yet/2

the 1tb sn550 was 95 bucks this morning on WD's website, might still be on sale. the sx8200 pro is 70/135 for 500gb/1tb. in actual performance outside of benchmarks the difference is imperceptible

topics i need help on:

Spoiler