RAM compatibility question

popej

Hello,

I have an ageing Intel i5 6600k and a Z170 Pro Gaming mobo and I'm looking at 4x sticks of this RAM: 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07RM39V5F/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Corsair VENGEANCELPX16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 3600 (Pc4-28800) C181.35V Desktop Memory - Black

I've used Corsairs own compatibility tool and it indicated that this is compatible with my mobo, albeit the motherboard supports a maximum memory frequency of 3466mhz.

However I’m uncertain whether the RAM will work with the i5 6600k at all?

If it does work I’m presuming it will downclock the RAM speed by default and I’ll need an XMP profile to get the speed up?

Can anyone provide some advice on these two points as I’m no expert?

edit: I appreciate people will have a view as to whether 32gb is worth it, and I appreciate the viewpoint but I’d be grateful for answers to the questions above.

Thanks

it will work, the imc is decent on the 6600k, though iirc anything over 2133 is an overclock to the imc technically and is not guaranteed, but the imc should handle it just fine.

though if you're going for a kit, get a 3200 cl16 kit or a 3600cl16 kit. 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

Thanks for the immediate response.

Apologies but what is a CL16 kit? I’m guessing the Corsair RAM I linked isn’t CL16?

Many thanks

10 hours ago, popej said:

Apologies but what is a CL16 kit?

cas latency, this kit is cl18, and a 3200 cl16 kit will probably be cheaper and will perform about the same. 

or you can go for a 3600 cl16 kit.

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Build Log: 

Ah ok CAS timings. I remember this from upgrading in the distant past. Thanks

So if I plug the RAM i linked in, my understanding is it will probably default to a lower frequency initially, perhaps 2133 as that’s the max officially supported by Intel?

What would I need to do in order to increase the frequency slightly? I’m not bothered about huge Overclocks and would prefer to avoid messing with voltages etc. Is it simply a case of activating a profile in the mobo BIOS or something?

Apologies for the dumb questions!

perhaps 2133 as that’s the max officially supported by Intel?

no that's the base frequency for sky lake.

What would I need to do in order to increase the frequency slightly?

enable xmp. 

Apologies for the dumb questions!

it's all good.

Build Log: 

All DDR4 is speced to run at either 2133 or 2400, typically it’s 2133. So when you plug it in, that’s what it will run at. In the BIOS you will need to enable XMP which will adjust time speed, timings, and voltage to the spec Corsair deemed correct for the RAM you bought. It’s basically a pre-certified overclock; you just need to turn it on.

And I agree with the above, if you can find 3200 for cheaper, I would go that route. RAM speed past 3200-3600 makes very little difference, and all your doing with faster ram (or more sticks) is decreasing the chance the IMC can actually run at those speeds (imc is integrated memory controller). Faster ram and more sticks of ram creates more work for the IMC.

3200 would be plenty fine. Additionally, what is your current RAM? 16 GB I assume? What speed? May be more financially justified to just add another set of what you already have? 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

Thanks for the replies both. Great advice.

Im not with my pc at the moment but I believe the current memory is 16gb of Kingston HyperX circa 2016. Can’t remember what frequency it’s running at, perhaps 2333?

Finding another set of 16gb might be pretty tough at this point as it might be discontinued?

Ill also likely upgrade the mobo and cpu at some point later this year, so I can switch this new RAM out if I do buy it. Will probably go Ryzen this time.