Looking for laptop

Hi all,

I realize this thread is filled with questions like this but I might as well give it a go.

I'm a long time mac user trying to get a windows laptop but there's just so many options and I honestly don't know that much about computers so it's kind of overwhelming.

I'm looking for something around 15 inches, windows 10 pro, 16gb or more of memory, non-touch and simply a nice machine that will last me a while with which I can do some mild gaming, basic networking, and photo/video editing. 

I don't know enough about cpu's and gpu's to know what i'm looking for but hopefully you guys can help me out with that.

My budget is around 1500$ but willing to go higher (~2000$) if a deal looks good enough.

Any recommendations?

Thanks-

1 hour ago, Ceviie said:

photo/video editing

adobe photoshop/ aftereffect? Quicksync will be useful 

1 hour ago, Ceviie said:

I can do some mild gaming

what type of games? 

14 minutes ago, The Sloth said:

adobe photoshop/ aftereffect? Quicksync will be useful 

what type of games? 

Quick sync support is pretty dead. It's been crashing on my for a year on my personal laptop with a 6700HQ. I had to turn it off because it was Infuriating.

19 minutes ago, Ceviie said:

Hi all,

I realize this thread is filled with questions like this but I might as well give it a go.

I'm a long time mac user trying to get a windows laptop but there's just so many options and I honestly don't know that much about computers so it's kind of overwhelming.

I'm looking for something around 15 inches, windows 10 pro, 16gb or more of memory, non-touch and simply a nice machine that will last me a while with which I can do some mild gaming, basic networking, and photo/video editing. 

I don't know enough about cpu's and gpu's to know what i'm looking for but hopefully you guys can help me out with that.

My budget is around 1500$ but willing to go higher (~2000$) if a deal looks good enough.

Any recommendations?

Thanks-

Look at the Asus Zephyrus G14 or G15. Two of the best laptops for 2020 and seem to fit your needs perfectly.

23 minutes ago, The Sloth said:

adobe photoshop/ aftereffect?

21 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Quick sync support is pretty dead. It's been crashing on my for a year on my personal laptop

Thanks for answering. For media editing i'll mostly be using photoshop and premiere. I'm unsure what quicksync is, but from what 5x5's been saying it would probably be best without it..? 

30 minutes ago, The Sloth said:

what type of games? 

15 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Asus Zephyrus G14 or G15.

For the gaming aspect of things I may have oversold my needs. I'm planning to be playing stuff such as indie games and Minecraft with maybe a touch of higher end stuff but only as single player so i'm not sure if this values the worth and purchase of a laptop with up to 240hz. 

With that being said, in both of your opinions would your recommendations still be the Asus Zephyrus G14/G15?

21 minutes ago, Ceviie said:

With that being said, in both of your opinions would your recommendations still be the Asus Zephyrus G14/G15?

Yup, it's a powerful computer with good battery life. 

41 minutes ago, Ceviie said:

Thanks for answering. For media editing i'll mostly be using photoshop and premiere. I'm unsure what quicksync is, but from what 5x5's been saying it would probably be best without it..? 

For the gaming aspect of things I may have oversold my needs. I'm planning to be playing stuff such as indie games and Minecraft with maybe a touch of higher end stuff but only as single player so i'm not sure if this values the worth and purchase of a laptop with up to 240hz. 

The G14 with the 1440p screen is ideal for you 

As for Quick Sync, it's a way to use the intel iGPU to speed up rendering but I've been having massive issue with it and support has severely waned due to the Intel F series that dont have integrated graphics anymore.

Have you considered HP Envy x360 (the Ryzen editions, if you don't need QuickSync)?

I find them pretty neat and...under your budget.

https://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-envy-x360-laptop-15-ds1097nr

P.S. just saw that you don't want a touchscreen model, so if that's the case, you could probably ignore this and try to squeze a bit more HW from another model that has a non-touch screen.

Still not gonna delete the post, since I think that it's quite a good laptop.