Use ASUS Router instead of default "Telekom" Router

Hello,

I recently got FTTH and (Fibre optic) modem is now in a different room. My ISP is the german Telekom.

We currently have 3 routers in our house.

• A Telekom Speedport W724V with analog ports for our home telephones
  • An ASUS RT-AX56U for Wifi for the second floor
  • A TP-Link (for ~25 bucks some years ago) for Wifi on the ground floor

We used to have our telephone station in our office room next to the TP-Link and connected to the (DSL) modem, but I had to move it to the second floor where the fibre optic modem is.

I tried to connect the ASUS router with the modem, but it had no internet connection.

I read that I need to use "PPPoE" in the ASUS routers WAN configuration, but I had not much time and just used the Speedport to connect to the modem.

Now I have time, but don't understand how it actually works. What do I need to configure the ASUS router?
I want to move the Speedport back to it's original spot.

5 hours ago, Gol_D_Chris said:

I recently got FTTH and (Fibre optic) modem is now in a different room. My ISP is the german Telekom.

What is the make and model of the fiber gateway?

5 hours ago, Gol_D_Chris said:

We currently have 3 routers in our house.

Are they all set up in their default router configuration or just acting as wireless access points?

7 hours ago, Falcon1986 said:

What is the make and model of the fiber gateway?

Are they all set up in their default router configuration or just acting as wireless access points?

I don't know. Where can I find that?

They're still in their default configuration

1 hour ago, Gol_D_Chris said:

I don't know. Where can I find that?

Look at the unit itself. It should have a label.

1 hour ago, Gol_D_Chris said:

They're still in their default configuration

Having more than one "router" doing router functions on the same network is asking for conflicts with DHCP, NAT, firewalls, etc. You should convert your secondary wireless units to access point mode after assigning them different internal static IPs within the same LAN subnet as the fiber gateway.

14 hours ago, Gol_D_Chris said:

I tried to connect the ASUS router with the modem, but it had no internet connection.

I read that I need to use "PPPoE" in the ASUS routers WAN configuration, but I had not much time and just used the Speedport to connect to the modem.

There shouldn't be special PPPoE settings that you need to enter for your own wireless router if you're going to keep the fiber gateway. As a matter of fact, more than likely, you have to keep the fiber gateway because all of the settings are tied to it and your ISP account. All you have to do is run an ethernet cable from a LAN port on the fiber gateway to the WAN port on the wireless router and set the latter up with a static IP within the same LAN subnet as the fiber gateway. The fiber gateway is already a router so you might want to convert it to bridge mode (can be difficult if the settings aren't obvious) or convert your ASUS device to bridge/AP mode.

On 7/31/2020 at 2:40 AM, Falcon1986 said:

Look at the unit itself. It should have a label.

It says "A-020011".

Having more than one "router" doing router functions on the same network is asking for conflicts with DHCP, NAT, firewalls, etc. You should convert your secondary wireless units to access point mode after assigning them different internal static IPs within the same LAN subnet as the fiber gateway.

Thanks, I will do that later.

There shouldn't be special PPPoE settings that you need to enter for your own wireless router if you're going to keep the fiber gateway. As a matter of fact, more than likely, you have to keep the fiber gateway because all of the settings are tied to it and your ISP account. All you have to do is run an ethernet cable from a LAN port on the fiber gateway to the WAN port on the wireless router and set the latter up with a static IP within the same LAN subnet as the fiber gateway. The fiber gateway is already a router so you might want to convert it to bridge mode (can be difficult if the settings aren't obvious) or convert your ASUS device to bridge/AP mode.

I connected today the ASUS router to the fibre modem and that router worked fine.

The problem was the Telekom Speedport W724V. I connected it's "Link" port to a LAN port of the ASUS router, but had no internet connection and the phones didn't work.

I had to undo everything again, so we can use our phone for now...