My opinion on Thief

Nineshadow

thief_garrett_by_kejablank-d62nnwo.jpg

I just finished the game and I gotta say it's really good.I haven't played the original titles,so my perspective is from a newcomer to the series and I'm not a hardcore gamer either.

First of all,the plot and the story were awesome.It's boring in the begining(Prolouge and Chapter 1 to 2,it gets interesting from chapter 3),but it evolves very nicely.The ending is very ambiguous though,and I think few people got it.But,after I thought about it for some time,I just realized how awesome it actually is(spoiler below).Now that I understand it, I like it more than Infinite's ending.

ibifaj4YdTwliC.png

The game starts at sunset and Erin dying because Garret did not trust her enough to let her use her hook to save herself.

The entire game takes place mostly at night and is filled with dream-like uncertainty. Slowly turning from the hallucinations of a tired mind to full blown nightmares.

The game ends with Erin falling and Garret being the only thing literally holding her away from death. This time he unlocks the book and frees Erin from her primal spirit and trusts her enough to pull herself back up when he finally tosses her the hook,but you aren't shown if she catches it or not. Garret passes out once more, finally leaving fate to chance and not intervening.That's what a lot of people will get out of the ending and they would think "Is this game really that bad it has such a shitty ending?".

But,when Garret wakes up,you can see Erin's footprints(she wasn't wearing any shoes),and the claw in a wall.Is she alive? Is she dead and he's hallucinating? It doesn't matter, she is free now.

The last shot in the game is of Garret looking out over the front of the Ark and into the sunrise. The dark night is finally over.

When I realized this,I was amazed game developers could think of such an ending,but they're French so I guess that explains why.It's so literary...

I,myself, read a lot of philosophical books and such,and that's why I think I got it.

Thief-4.jpg

I must also say that it looks very nice.The graphics are good and the houses are well-designed.As far as level design goes,it's good but not extraordinary.The game is open-world,but it feels restricted,There's alot of doors you can't go through and such.Still,the freedom of choosing how to go through a level is yours,however,some of them are quite obvious.Kinda linear.

idfYMO0P90iWh.png

The gameplay is good,too.I'm not a huge fan of stealth games,but I enjoyed it,not as much as Dishonored's though.The game doesn't want you to fight enemies,and that's made obvious.You don't have a sword,you're very easy to kill,and fighting doesn't feel rewarding,and I think it's a good thing because this is a stealth game after all.You have the freedom of choice,and that's a plus.Movement is very fluid,I totally loved moving around and such.I think this is one of the most immersive games I've played.The 1st person view really makes you fell you're in the world.Oh,and it's a game in which I can finally see the protagonist's feet!I don't understand why in so many 1st person games you look down and see the ground...There's some sidequests,but they're kinda linear.One thing I didn't understand why you have to steal stuff.The only thing you can buy in the game are arrows and some perks.

Another great thing about it is that you can finely tune the difficulty settings for a big challenge,like dying when you get spotted,disabling focus,etc.

The game is organized in 9 chapters.The first 2 are boring,things get a little interesting in the 3rd.4th is good.In the 5th chapter you are mindfucked and that's all I'm gonna say about it.

In conclusion,I had been waiting for this game and it certainly didn't disappoint.I wasn't expecting such an amazing story.It's definitely a change from the original titles.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

It's more Dishonored then Thief, and far as I've seen very linear.

The original Thief's (1 and 2) had large areas to play and choose your route.

Great review! Will definitely check it out altough all the reviews I saw online said it was bad, but I guess I just have to test it on my own ;)

VIDEO GAMES                                  Max Power Build Log

Great review! Will definitely check it out altough all the review I saw online said it was bad, but I guess I just have to test it on my own ;)

If you praise story more than gameplay,then it's an amazing game.It has some parts where it lacks though,like the open world map which is not really open world,the gameplay is kinda linear,etc.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

If you praise story more than gameplay,then it's an amazing game.It has some parts where it lacks though,like the open world map which is not really open world,the gameplay is kinda linear,etc.

Yeah that's what I heard, that they said it's going to be almost like an open world game, but yeah from the gameplay footage that I've seen, you don't really have a choice but to follow the path that they guide you to.

Yeah that's what I heard, that they said it's going to be almost like an open world game, but yeah from the gameplay footage that I've seen, you don't really have a choice but to follow the path that they guide you to.

They offer multiple paths though.

Oh okay! Well, I'll just try it out and I'll see for myself ;)

Nothing like Thief 1 and 2 though.

Those games had large buildings, open areas and streets you were free to explore and use as alternate routes.

It may be a decent game coming from Dishonored view, but from an original Thief perspective, not so much.

Nothing like Thief 1 and 2 though.

Those games had large buildings, open areas and streets you were free to explore and use as alternate routes.

It may be a decent game coming from Dishonored view, but from an original Thief perspective, not so much.

I'm pretty sure the first titles weren't really interested in story(might be wrong though),and I view this is a move from the concept of the original Thief.

I'm pretty sure the first titles weren't really interested in story(might be wrong though),and I view this is a move from the concept of the original Thief.

The stories were very interesting and the world wasn't some bland cookie cutter gloomy Victorian city which they have now.

You can get a copy of thief free here. http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/119131-us-only-theif-gold-free-via-amazon-to-steam/

There's also an HD patch for it to make it look a lot better.

http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134733

Now that I have played Thief for around 15 hours, I have completely changed my mind. This game is one of the shittiest games I have ever encountered, please save your money and don't bother playing this, it is not worth it whatsoever. Bad level design alone is enough to give this game a pass.