New build going good, to bad, to worse...

Hey everyone,

Last week i built my first pc and everything worked great. Few days later I was watching a video on youtube and it bluescreened and restarted, then worked fine. then it happened again... I stopped using youtube and everything went to normal again but then out of the blue yesterday it froze and shut on and off repeatedly. Eventually that worked itself out and today it happened again but this time once it stopped and finally turned on it wont show anything on my screen. My Asus mobo says QCode 71. All the lights are working now but still no video... Help please!!

CPU: i5 4670k

COOLER: CM hyper212 evo

MOBO:  Asus Maximus VI Hero

PSU: Corsair CS750M

GPU: GeForce GTX 770

CASE: CM Storm scout 2

RAM: 2x4 corsair vengeance

Now i can see the screen and im in the UEFI BIOS UTILITY, What should i do from here?

Do you have another computer you can burn an Ultimate Boot Disk from?

Have a look if there are any diagnostics options in the BIOS..if there are, run them all

Also, try reseating your RAM, very quick to do, just check all cables are snug

Is your CPU overclocked? I had that same QCode on a Haswell build I did for my friend. It occurred when I was reaching the OC limits of his CPU. You may want to clear the CMOS of your motherboard and see if you can get back into windows under normal frequencies.

Have a look if there are any diagnostics options in the BIOS..if there are, run them all

Alright I'm in uefi bios utility on an asus board. Where would I find diagnostics?

Is your CPU overclocked? I had that same QCode on a Haswell build I did for my friend. It occurred when I was reaching the OC limits of his CPU. You may want to clear the CMOS of your motherboard and see if you can get back into windows under normal frequencies.

Nothing is overclocked.

Alright, I'm off to my cottage for a few days but when i get back, I'll have it checked out by an expert. Thanks anyways for the tips guys!

Alright, I'm off to my cottage for a few days but when i get back, I'll have it checked out by an expert. Thanks anyways for the tips guys!

I also have the Maximus VI Hero and according to the manual, Q-Code 71 means "PCH DXE SMM initialization is started." I don't know what it means, but someone else might.

• 2 weeks later...